C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Car on a Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Putting Car on a Lift

Going to Mavis this weekend and am worried about them putting my car on the lift and damaging something. Are there any instructions I should give the guys who work on my car?
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traderfjp
Going to Mavis this weekend and am worried about them putting my car on the lift and damaging something. Are there any instructions I should give the guys who work on my car?
First, make sure it will get onto the lift. My GS is so low, it took me a while to find a lift that was able to get under the car. Second, get some pucks. An ill-fitting lift arm may cause cracks in the rocker panels.

I'm sure others will chime in with workarounds that will get the car onto a lift.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The above and add jacking pucks. Had a GM dealer crack my rocker panels not once but twice. Stay on top of them and make sure they put the jack arms in the right place. You only get one crack (pardon the pun) at it.

When you arrive, have them walk with you around the car and verify that there is no damage to the rocker panels. Write that on the work order and have them initial it. When the work is complete, check and double check all 4 points to make sure there is no damage.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 11-13-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 11-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'24

Get the snap in pucks.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The link is a video clip of the Bowling Green plant... look at the 2:22 mark. it shows where and how the body and frame is suspended by outrigger cradles... shows the actual lifting points underneath. By using those lifting points via the availavle lifting pucks will help keeping it safe on the lift.

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 11-13-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,992 Likes on 5,362 Posts

Depending on the type of lift being used they may need to place 2x8s under the car so it will be high enough for the lift arms to go under it. On the C6 you can get away without using the lift pucks since there is plenty of room around the lifting points for a carefully placed lift pad to fit. However, that also depends on the size and thickness of the lift pad. Some times the pad will fit easily but will not be thick enough which means a lift that lifts from alongside the car can touch the rocker panels. Then you need the lift pucks. Even when using the pucks there can be enough variation in lift designs/brands that you can get lift arm contact with the rockers. The lift my dealer uses is a two post in ground lift but the lift arms are so thick the mechanic has to use boards under the car and place tall lift pads used for trucks on the lift arms. If he uses the pads normally used for cars the lift arms will dig into the rockers. He is an excellent mechanic but doesn't like to put the Vette on the lift since it takes about a half hour to go get the 2x8s, stack them so he can drive on them, place the lift pads and then practically lay on the floor to make sure everything is correct as they slowly bring the lift up. When I added ZR1 side skirts it became a real PIA since he had to use more boards under the car and higher lift pads so the arms would clear the skirts.

Bill
Old 11-13-2013, 11:06 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I did pretty much the same thing as Bill the first time

The 2nd time we used wheel dollys in order to position the car where we wanted and then boards with pads hooked to them between the arm.

You do not need pucks but if you want them they wont hurt anything.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

You guys are really scaring me. I don't want my rocker panels cracked. I don't think they let customers in the back where they do the work because of liability issues. Would it be wise to have the tire shop mount and balance and then I can put the tires on myself? I have a compressor and floor jack. The only snafu is that I wanted them to check the alignment. The previous owner had the car aligned at about 21k and there are 26k on the car. I really hate handing over my car to anyone. Last time I had the tranny fluid changed there was an extra 10 miles on the speedo. My car my toy.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Most tire shops have lifts with arms that come in from the side of the vehicle. The car doesn't have to drive up on or over a lift. When you get to the shop, install your pucks and show the manager where they are and what they're for. Chances are, he already knows about cars that require pucks, after all, that's his business.

While these places may have a few monkeys working in the back, there are usually a few experienced people too. Ask for special attention since you have a specialty car and most places will treat you right. - At least that's been my experience.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

All good advice. I guess I need to buy pucks.

Originally Posted by Globeman
Most tire shops have lifts with arms that come in from the side of the vehicle. The car doesn't have to drive up on or over a lift. When you get to the shop, install your pucks and show the manager where they are and what they're for. Chances are, he already knows about cars that require pucks, after all, that's his business.

While these places may have a few monkeys working in the back, there are usually a few experienced people too. Ask for special attention since you have a specialty car and most places will treat you right. - At least that's been my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Putting Car on a Lift

Quick Reply: Putting Car on a Lift