C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone still use the stock Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
It has a valuable option, IMO, that no aftermarket HU has. For me that makes it worth keeping. What difference does graphic quality make when it verbally tells you where to go and you see direction right in front of you on the hud?
I do understand that some would really miss the navigation with the HUD, and I get it. But the stock navigation falls short in more categories than just graphics. Yes the graphics are really bad and especially so depending on what year your car is. The bad graphics are more excusable in a 2005 than in a 2013 model. But graphics aside, the head unit still falls short in usability, sound quality, and anything to do with music play back. That's why I thought the analogy of the flip phone was a good one, you might be able to do some of the same stuff a modern phone does like make phone calls, send and receive text messages, etc., but it's a lot more difficult to use, not user friendly, has bad graphics, inputting information is difficult, and is still missing some modern features. That description alone sounds very familiar to discussions describing the stock navigation head unit.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:41 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I never use google maps unless I want to go off grid and into a lake.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

It has a valuable option, IMO, that no aftermarket HU has. For me that makes it worth keeping. What difference does graphic quality make when it verbally tells you where to go and you see direction right in front of you on the hud?
I agree. I use my iPhone when I am in rental cars (which is about 20 days per month), and I really miss the HUD integration on the C6. I use the OEM Nav when I am in that car.

BTW, the rentals sometimes have Nav, and I find the 12-year-old C6 system about as easy to use as the current BMW, Dodge, and Ford systems. Granted, the newer graphics are better, but to the original point, if they are in the HUD, who cares what the head unit looks like.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

No. Last time I used it she stop. Was going down I-40 in OKC where they moved it south a few years ago. NAV didn't know that and kept telling me to turn left at this street, turn left at the next street and then finally just quit.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

No iPhone ... No Nav ... No Hud

If I go on a long trip ... I take a map (as in a map made out of paper)

Didn't that used to work a long time ago before they invented smart phones and GPS ?

The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
ByByBMW (04-19-2017), FiveVettes (06-27-2018)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:44 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
No iPhone ... No Nav ... No Hud

If I go on a long trip ... I take a map (as in a map made out of paper)

Didn't that used to work a long time ago before they invented smart phones and GPS ?

I bet it's hard for you to find a pay phone to call home when you're on a trip.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

The stock HU and the nav function on my 2011 were complete crap. Clunky and the touch screen lacked sensitivity I upgraded the HU for the modern features and dramatically improved sound. However, I use Waze in both my ZR1 and Mercedes SUV for nav. In both vehicles I mount the Iphone right next to the steering wheel. The directions play through the sound system. Waze is awesome. It's the easiest nav to enter destinations and the alert system and traffic rerouting functions get better every month as more users sign on. If you use a proper mount for your phone its in your sight range and at your fingertips with your hands on the wheel. Anyone still using the OEM head unit either doesn't have a smart phone or is just afraid on trying something new.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimnc
The stock HU and the nav function on my 2011 were complete crap. Clunky and the touch screen lacked sensitivity I upgraded the HU for the modern features and dramatically improved sound. However, I use Waze in both my ZR1 and Mercedes SUV for nav. In both vehicles I mount the Iphone right next to the steering wheel. The directions play through the sound system. Waze is awesome. It's the easiest nav to enter destinations and the alert system and traffic rerouting functions get better every month as more users sign on. If you use a proper mount for your phone its in your sight range and at your fingertips with your hands on the wheel. Anyone still using the OEM head unit either doesn't have a smart phone or is just afraid on trying something new.
My Kenwood head unit allows me to mirror my phone to the screen. No need for a phone mount or anything else.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by 65GGvert

I bet it's hard for you to find a pay phone to call home when you're on a trip.
Not at all ... I use a 'flip phone'. Remember those? ... Basically a cell phone without internet. Works great!

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 AM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree....the system is not difficult to use and I prefer it way more than a phone map.
A lot of people just don't take time to learn how it works. There is a lot to it.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:13 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Not at all ... I use a 'flip phone'. Remember those? ... Basically a cell phone without internet. Works great!

That's what I figured. Selective technology use. We didn't have cell phones when we used the Esso paper maps, so we don't need them now.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Until a year ago I used this beauty! I thought I could easily win any Most Outdated Cellphone contest but find stiff competition in Vette Nation
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

I like to have both the factory nav and iPhone running at the same time. The iPhone is much easier to get a single routing. Just hold for Siri and say "directions to xxx". The nav gives hundreds of more options on routing. But the HUGE advantage of the factory nav is you get directions on the HUD and never have to take your eyes off the road to look inside the car. The countdown to a turn on the HUD certainly beats an occasional voice from the phone especially on unknown city streets. And if you see traffic ahead you just push the top button without looking and say "detour" and you are routed another way. Phone can't do that.

The factory nav requires a lot of study to learn how to use compared to other units. But it has far more features. So if you want a nav that a 5 year old can use that will eventually get you there, get an iPhone. If you want a nav that can route you like a local, you want the factory nav.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

God no. One of the first mods I did when I bought my Z was to upgrade the head unit. But, I'm a techie, so it literally pained me to look at that dinosaur every time I got in the car.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Carvin

I thought I could easily win any Most Outdated Cellphone contest but find stiff competition in Vette Nation
You don't need so stinkin' smart phone.

1. Do you want to talk to someone on the phone ... A cheap flip phone sounds just as good as a $700 iPhone.

2. Do you want to use the internet ... That's why they invented computers. Nice big flat screen that you can actually see a whole web page on in great detail. With that little dinky iPhone screen, you almost need a magnifying glass to see a web page.

3. Do you want to take a photo ... That's why they invented good digital camera like a Nikon or a Canon. My Canon takes much better photos than my wife's iPhone 6. Have you noticed that professional photographers never use smart phone to take there pictures.

Bottom line ...

Want to talk on the phone ... get a cell phone

Want to take photos ... get a good digital camera like a Nikon or a Canon

Want to surf the internet ... buy a computer with a big flat screen you can actually see

Want to write a quality text document ... Again, get a computer and use Microsoft 'Word". (Ever try to make a spreadsheet using an iPhone?)

What's the next gimmick that they are going to attach to these smart phones ... can opener? ... finger nail cutter? ... plastic tooth pick?
The following 3 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
Bruze (04-19-2017), ByByBMW (04-19-2017), Landru (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I use it when it decides to work but it sucks.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
I can't help but think that all the guys that say they like the stock navigation head unit still have their old school flip phones.
what's a flip phone?

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone still use the stock Nav?

Old 04-19-2017, 09:20 AM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

You don't need so stinkin' smart phone.

1. Do you want to talk to someone on the phone ... A cheap flip phone sounds just as good as a $700 iPhone.

2. Do you want to use the internet ... That's why they invented computers. Nice big flat screen that you can actually see a whole web page on in great detail. With that little dinky iPhone screen, you almost need a magnifying glass to see a web page.

3. Do you want to take a photo ... That's why they invented good digital camera like a Nikon or a Canon. My Canon takes much better photos than my wife's iPhone 6. Have you noticed that professional photographers never use smart phone to take there pictures.

Bottom line ...

Want to talk on the phone ... get a cell phone

Want to take photos ... get a good digital camera like a Nikon or a Canon

Want to surf the internet ... buy a computer with a big flat screen you can actually see

Want to write a quality text document ... Again, get a computer and use Microsoft 'Word". (Ever try to make a spreadsheet using an iPhone?)

What's the next gimmick that they are going to attach to these smart phones ... can opener? ... finger nail cutter? ... plastic tooth pick?
The bottom is that if the only time you leave the house is to drive your wife to Publix you don't need nav or a smartphone. Just sit on the couch and use your big screen computer and take pictures out the window with your Canon. And talk on your 10 year old flip phone.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:22 AM
A Marsh
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I use it. Works OK with up-to-date disk.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Still using stock NAV and it works fine. Just like my flip phone and projection screen TV...nah, just kidding. I still use the OEM NAV and it is archaic but it works just fine. The HUD integration is top notch!

Quick Reply: Does anyone still use the stock Nav?