C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low beam problem

Old 02-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TigerPilot
The replacement reflectors I installed were missing the upper chrome and I believe the lower chrome as well. That shouldn't matter as that would only throw the light vertically and not horizontally like we need.
OK Thanks. Mine seems to be OK. I think I just need to try to find a way to get inside with a soft cloth to clean the dirt and dust out where the bulb cover was missing for some time.
:thumbs
Old 02-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Caveman74
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Vette
OK Thanks. Mine seems to be OK. I think I just need to try to find a way to get inside with a soft cloth to clean the dirt and dust out where the bulb cover was missing for some time.
This is the inside of the projector. Top and bottom don't have chrome.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:20 PM
shepherdaway
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
May i ask what brand of bulb and the cost?..Thanks
They are from Corvette Mods, They really look nice https://www.corvettemods.com/C6-Corv...bo_p_5769.html
The following users liked this post:
Cherokee Nation (03-03-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Follow up: Well I cleaned the reflective coating and the lens and still have a bit of dim light. So I have so far changed the 6000k bulb, changed the ballast and cleaned the reflective coating which looks pretty good when I used a small mirror to look inside at it. I now wonder if a ground could be the issue. I cleaned the one right at the hood hinge shock area but not sure that is the one I should be checking. If anyone has any more suggestions please chime in. I and kinda and the end of what to check next.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:43 PM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Follow up: Well I cleaned the reflective coating and the lens and still have a bit of dim light. So I have so far changed the 6000k bulb, changed the ballast and cleaned the reflective coating which looks pretty good when I used a small mirror to look inside at it. I now wonder if a ground could be the issue. I cleaned the one right at the hood hinge shock area but not sure that is the one I should be checking. If anyone has any more suggestions please chime in. I and kinda and the end of what to check next.
Need Help. Does anyone know which ground point or connection I can check to see if it will help the dim light on the right side. As stated I have checked the one right behind the hood strut believe it is ground 202 ( not sure of the correct number). I even removed the ground wire while the lights were on and did not have any bearing on the light. I need to know if there is another place to check please.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 12:39 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I believe there's some grounds on the drivers side by the hood strut if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madsonp
I believe there's some grounds on the drivers side by the hood strut if I remember correctly, but I could be wrong.
OK thanks. I will check that one out. With my C5 I had a diagram showing each point. Can't seem to find the same for a C6.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 PM
shepherdaway
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had a ballast go out (mine went out all at once) If you go to the dealer you are looking at $600-$800 (Their ballast is $400 and up to $400 for labor). It is NOT a difficult job to do. I did mine last weekend and it took about an hour because I left the tire on. I would recommend, pulling your bad ballast out first and then looking on Ebay. I found one to fit my 2006 for $30 vs $400 at the dealer and it worked great. I say pull yours first b/c you then can look at yours out of your car and match them up compared to the one you buy. The one I bought for my car (2006) on Ebay, had a slightly different plug in housing. Thus, if you pull yours first you can look before you buy. Here is a great thread on how to replace them.
How to replace your Vett ballast.
The following users liked this post:
madsonp (03-15-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:49 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shepherdaway
I recently had a ballast go out (mine went out all at once) If you go to the dealer you are looking at $600-$800 (Their ballast is $400 and up to $400 for labor). It is NOT a difficult job to do. I did mine last weekend and it took about an hour because I left the tire on. I would recommend, pulling your bad ballast out first and then looking on Ebay. I found one to fit my 2006 for $30 vs $400 at the dealer and it worked great. I say pull yours first b/c you then can look at yours out of your car and match them up compared to the one you buy. The one I bought for my car (2006) on Ebay, had a slightly different plug in housing. Thus, if you pull yours first you can look before you buy. Here is a great thread on how to replace them.
How to replace your Vett ballast.
I have changed the Ballast and the light bulb and still no change. I feel there must be a ground involved. I cleaned the ones behind the hood strut and the one below the battery but not sure if there is any others I need to clean and where are they.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

I have changed the Ballast and the light bulb and still no change. I feel there must be a ground involved. I cleaned the ones behind the hood strut and the one below the battery but not sure if there is any others I need to clean and where are they.
Have you had some friend look at your lights parked around 50 feet away at night and see if they can see a difference? I remember you said the R one looked a little off.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Have you had some friend look at your lights parked around 50 feet away at night and see if they can see a difference? I remember you said the R one looked a little off.
Thanks I will check it out but when I stand in front the right one appears to be a little off horizontally. There is no way that I am aware to adjust them any way except vertically. This is really baffled me. Out of all the corvette I have owned, I always seem to figure out the issues. This really has me stumped.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Thanks I will check it out but when I stand in front the right one appears to be a little off horizontally. There is no way that I am aware to adjust them any way except vertically. This is really baffled me. Out of all the corvette I have owned, I always seem to figure out the issues. This really has me stumped.
How are your lens?...On my 08 the right light does not project the same pattern when i checked them at about 10 feet from a wall and that is because the right lens has the coating peeling off,and I used some sand paper but did not help...Made it worst.But both seems to have the same brightness.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

How are your lens?...On my 08 the right light does not project the same pattern when i checked them at about 10 feet from a wall and that is because the right lens has the coating peeling off,and I used some sand paper but did not help...Made it worst.But both seems to have the same brightness.
YEP, I checked them closely and they appear the same. The are maybe an 8 out of a 10. I am getting to the point where I am just going to have to live with it. I can't think of anything more to check. Even put a new bulb in yesterday and nothing.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

YEP, I checked them closely and they appear the same. The are maybe an 8 out of a 10. I am getting to the point where I am just going to have to live with it. I can't think of anything more to check. Even put a new bulb in yesterday and nothing.
Well,You don't have a ground problem for sure.Good luck.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Ghost Vette
Burning Brakes

Well,You don't have a ground problem for sure.Good luck.
I know the outer lens is OK but I now wonder if the little round inside lens
is OK. As i stated in a previous post, I found the dust cover was off when I went to change the bulb. Just wonder if that being off for years could cause the projector lens to get damaged in some way.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I know the outer lens is OK but I now wonder if the little round inside lens
is OK. As i stated in a previous post, I found the dust cover was off when I went to change the bulb. Just wonder if that being off for years could cause the projector lens to get damaged in some way.
There are a couple of guys on this forum that will rebuild your headlight assy if you ship them to them......And they DO NOT rob you either.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low beam problem