C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfart
I use to live at the strip! I raced the Motorplex, Kennedale, and Denton. My home strip was Hallsville Raceway. I used to race the TMCCC series, it was fun. I was overall champ one year. That was a fun part of my life, I miss it!
How did you get the name 'Leadfart'?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
What's roll racing? Starting from a roll, I assume?
Yes, both cars start at a rolling speed of 40 mph, and once you hit the line you go full out.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM
leadfart
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

How did you get the name 'Leadfart'?
It's easy to remember, and always available!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I realize what you say is correct, but I was parked for 20 minutes, each time. Is that not long enough to counter the heat soak?
in that heat 20 minutes won't really do anything for cooling.by the time you get back to the line to make another pass your temps will be right back to where they were before the cool down.look at coolant temp when you come to the line.at 194F your going to be pulling a lot of timing on every run and the car won't be making any great runs.can you get to the line before coolant is reading 194F?

Last edited by irok; 07-18-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by irok
in that heat 20 minutes won't really do anything for cooling.by the time you get back to the line to make another pass your temps will be right back to where they were before the cool down.look at coolant temp when you come to the line.at 194F your going to be pulling a lot of timing on every run and the car won't be making any great runs.can you get to the line before coolant is reading 194F?
That's where the auxiliary water pump, thermostat delete and manual fan switches come into play.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:19 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

It's easy to remember, and always available!
Ah. I just figured there was this time when you thought it was just going to be a fart...
The following users liked this post:
leadfart (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 04:47 PM
BigRuckus
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about the temps but going out to North Star in Denton. I'm in McKinney so it's the closest one for me. Although I'd be down for Ennis if it wasn't too hot. It would take me as long as the trip just to cool the car down!
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by BigRuckus
I was thinking the same thing about the temps but going out to North Star in Denton. I'm in McKinney so it's the closest one for me. Although I'd be down for Ennis if it wasn't too hot. It would take me as long as the trip just to cool the car down!
It would be great if a bunch of us DFW guys all showed up on the same night sometime this fall when it's cooler. They wouldn't know what hit 'em.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:49 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

No way I can get to the line below 194 coolant temp. Air temp is 95 or so, track temp is 120. It would take probably an hour of sitting to get below 180, and as soon as you go into pre-staging, you are starting, stopping, starting, etc, for 20 minutes. When I was just idling it went over 200 (surrounded by other cars doing the same).

I will take the ideas all of you have given, and see what I can do in the fall, when the air is much cooler. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 07-18-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

At least in my factory tune, timing doesn't start to get pulled until 212*. First I've heard or seen 194*

As an aside, it starts gradually. It's not like all of a sudden it pulls 10* and the car falls on its face.

Lastly....I suspect everyone in this thread is out to have fun, not try and set track records. As such, who cares if it runs a little slower as long as everyone is having a good time
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BigRuckus
Hell, I used to leave Rockville, MD at 3 pm every Friday and drive down to Mechanicsville, MD to bracket race with my buddies.

Google estimates an hour and 49 minutes at the time of this post, but I can assure you it was a hell of a lot longer on Friday afternoons! Come on and meet us down there!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
At least in my factory tune, timing doesn't start to get pulled until 212*. First I've heard or seen 194*

As an aside, it starts gradually. It's not like all of a sudden it pulls 10* and the car falls on its face.

Lastly....I suspect everyone in this thread is out to have fun, not try and set track records. As such, who cares if it runs a little slower as long as everyone is having a good time
Too true. My impala would run mid tp high 13's during the summer, but every winter we'd drive up to Cecil County Dragway to turn our best times. On days like this Friday is shaping up to be, I'd run something like 13.8 at maybe 100 mph; midwinter at Cecil when the density altitude was negative 2500 feet I'd turn 12.6's at 108 mph.

I made one trip to Ennis when I bought this car a few years ago and it ran consistent 13.3's at 113 mph. Pretty terrible, I know, but the car's a manual and I only had street tires. As I recall the weather was something like 96 degrees at 9 pm and near 100% humidity. I don't recall the barometric pressure, but I do remember calling it a night when the dew started to settle on the track and traction went to hell. That was when the car was making 408 hp at the rear wheels. Since then I've had the heads milled and ported and picked up exactly 50 rwhp - it turned 458 rwhp on the dyno tune last month. I'm curious to see what kind of improvement the mods made on my ET. This weather is actually good for me because of the comparison.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy race gas tomorrow night? If they won't be selling it at the track, does anyone know where we can get some?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Too true. My impala would run mid tp high 13's during the summer, but every winter we'd drive up to Cecil County Dragway to turn our best times. On days like this Friday is shaping up to be, I'd run something like 13.8 at maybe 100 mph; midwinter at Cecil when the density altitude was negative 2500 feet I'd turn 12.6's at 108 mph.

I made one trip to Ennis when I bought this car a few years ago and it ran consistent 13.3's at 113 mph. Pretty terrible, I know, but the car's a manual and I only had street tires. As I recall the weather was something like 96 degrees at 9 pm and near 100% humidity. I don't recall the barometric pressure, but I do remember calling it a night when the dew started to settle on the track and traction went to hell. That was when the car was making 408 hp at the rear wheels. Since then I've had the heads milled and ported and picked up exactly 50 rwhp - it turned 458 rwhp on the dyno tune last month. I'm curious to see what kind of improvement the mods made on my ET. This weather is actually good for me because of the comparison.

Does anyone know if we'll be able to buy race gas tomorrow night? If they won't be selling it at the track, does anyone know where we can get some?
You should try giving the track a call. I've never seen anyone over at the pumps at the track, but admittedly I never really paid much attention.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:16 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You should try giving the track a call. I've never seen anyone over at the pumps at the track, but admittedly I never really paid much attention.
Already tried. No one there this time of day. I did send the facilities manager an email, so hopefully I'll hear back today.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:29 PM
leadfart
Pro

Stoney, I think I know you. I was leadfoot on the Impala SS forum. I raced with HOSS in DFW. You know a big Italian guy from Long Island? I think you raced with him a lot.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Stoney, I think I know you. I was leadfoot on the Impala SS forum. I raced with HOSS in DFW. You know a big Italian guy from Long Island? I think you raced with him a lot.
Are you talking about DeBlasio?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 PM
leadfart
Pro

Are you talking about DeBlasio?
Yes, indeed!

Get notified of new replies

To Would you?

Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Yes, indeed!
I still talk with him on facebook occasionally. Where is Treasure Island Texas?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:01 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Nevermind, I found it. Are you coming to Ennis tomorrow?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM
leadfart
Pro

I still talk with him on facebook occasionally. Where is Treasure Island Texas?
It's about ten miles east of New Braunfels, TX, thirty miles southeast of San Antonio. A rural lake community, fifteen minutes from San Antonio Raceway, One of the reasons I bought here. I don't race much anymore, have no buddies to do it with. The Impala sits in storage, with slicks and skinnies on it, patiently waiting!

I miss the old days.

Quick Reply: Would you?