C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moron Dealership Dented Fiberglass Rocker Panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Jackie Chan
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Just like using a pry bar to mount tires on 20x12 wheels...stupid. ask me how I know
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Having worked in a Chevy dealership when I was very young and not smart enough to go back to school yet (and I'm 105 now), the techs I knew (and trained me) hated to work on Corvettes. This was universal, no exceptions where I worked. They'd much rather work on a simple 4 cyl cruz (or a nice, easy to work on 6 cyl Chevy II in those days) than a V8 Corvette where everything is impossible to get to (and Corvette owners were {and are} all parsnickety anyway). The Chevy II owner very seldom gave a $hit, and just wanted the car to get from A to B without leaving them stranded.

Chevys are all "product" to a Chevy tech, even Corvettes. They come in, punch a clock, go to work and punch back out at the end of the day. It is extremely RARE to find a dealership tech in love with Corvettes. In the rare instances when that happens, usually that tech owns a Vette too. But, even they will burn out eventually. I couldn't stand what I saw (and was being trained to do), so I went back to school; otherwise, I might still be there as I love working on cars to this day.

It's a simple concept that even water knows...path of least resistance........
my tech only works on Corvettes but he likes to work on other cars to to make a paycheck. But when he works on Vettes hes a machine. He has all the rituals that includes lifting and cleanliness he knows what to say and is brutally honest. Its refreshing to see this after reading some of the horror stories on here.
as far as the OP goes if this damage bothers him then who are we to critisize him on way or the other. Like Ive heard this endless times "its his car to do what he wants to it"if not wanting to have the people who caused the damage fix it ....so be it. If he wants to shine it instead of drive the living f..k out of it .....who cares...if he wants to turn it into a freakin flower pot.....its his ....so what......
We do have some very new members now as the C6 is becoming affordable and I think we should be a little patient with them and also share our collective knowledge amd perhaps show off a bit

Clif

Last edited by z06clif; 10-15-2018 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-15-2018, 09:09 AM
Cruisers
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't we all love it when GOD steps up and tells the rest of us what to do and how to think? Someone may be more **** or less than I, but that's his right to be so. He's paying for it, so he can do whatever and however he feels.OP, I'm with ya. I might "fix" it differently, but I'd probably be as pissed.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisers
Don't we all love it when GOD steps up and tells the rest of us what to do and how to think? Someone may be more **** or less than I, but that's his right to be so. He's paying for it, so he can do whatever and however he feels.OP, I'm with ya. I might "fix" it differently, but I'd probably be as pissed.

The bovine herding instinct is quite prevalent among certain groups of Homo sapiens also, most notable being Harley riders -- the self-proclaimed rebels and non-conformists who are anything but. The "leaders" do not tolerate ANY dissent from the approved behavior, thought, habits, or dress -- as we've seen in this thread.

The following users liked this post:
airmed2 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

To the OP, just let the dealership fix it. They will likely do the repair well and you will never notice it was there.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So what’s the best way to touch this up? Can I or the dealership just get some touch-up paint and fix it like any regular chip? Or do I have to do something special because of the fiberglass? There are a few spots on the car (near the windows/halo) that I can tell have already been touched up by the prior owner and if I could get this spot to look as good as those, I’d be happy. After reading the input here and giving it some thought, I’ve completely ruled out any sort of respray or anything beyond a spot repair.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:11 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by B1RDLAW_Z06
So what’s the best way to touch this up? Can I or the dealership just get some touch-up paint and fix it like any regular chip? Or do I have to do something special because of the fiberglass? There are a few spots on the car (near the windows/halo) that I can tell have already been touched up by the prior owner and if I could get this spot to look as good as those, I’d be happy. After reading the input here and giving it some thought, I’ve completely ruled out any sort of respray or anything beyond a spot repair.
They can repair and paint that little spot and you’ll never know it happened by looks.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Spark 2
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I live in a very small city where if someone says something good or bad about you, it doesn't take long to get back.

My dealer damaged my rocker panel and graciously repaired it without an argument, but he had to make a comment to my salesman.

"Most people get their cars serviced and just go home and drive them". "They do not crawl underneath looking for damage".

Well I guess I'm not "most people". If they did not earn a reputation for damaging cars, they wouldn't have this problem.

It is a very good dealership, but the comment hurt.
CorvetteBrent (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

[QUOTE= but the comment hurt.[/QUOTE]

???
Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Spark 2
I live in a very small city where if someone says something good or bad about you, it doesn't take long to get back.

My dealer damaged my rocker panel and graciously repaired it without an argument, but he had to make a comment to my salesman.

"Most people get their cars serviced and just go home and drive them". "They do not crawl underneath looking for damage".

Well I guess I'm not "most people". If they did not earn a reputation for damaging cars, they wouldn't have this problem.

Why would that comment hurt? We drive Corvettes. We definitely aren't "most people".

I can't imagine anyone picking up their Chevy vehicle and looking underneath the car for damage outside of Corvettes and SS(and higher) trimmed Camaros.

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.
CorvetteBrent (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Spark 2

Agreed, the way they deal with it is a huge factor. How did the repair come out at least? Did they do a respray or just a spot repair?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Agreed, the way they deal with it is a huge factor. How did the repair come out at least? Did they do a respray or just a spot repair?
How they deal with it is definitely important, but there is no way I would ever go back to any dealership that damaged my vehicle anyways. Regardless of whether or not they took care of it. Shows that they're careless. Likely will happen again.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I would have a reputable body shop fix it on the dealer's dime.
If you chose to fix it yourself I would suggest sanding, filling, more sanding, and spray some final coat/clear. I have used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm with great results.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:30 PM
B1RDLAW_Z06
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruxvette
I would have a reputable body shop fix it on the dealer's dime.
If you chose to fix it yourself I would suggest sanding, filling, more sanding, and spray some final coat/clear. I have used http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm with great results.
I think I might just use the touch up if it comes out well, I don’t want to start sanding or anything like that
Old 10-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

I think I might just use the touch up if it comes out well, I don’t want to start sanding or anything like that
Ever plan to get side skirts? You will never see it again if so!

Last edited by Frankie15; 10-15-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:37 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Took my car to a dealership service center I thought I could trust (I know, I know). I had read a lot about improper lifting procedures used by shops, so the morning before I took it over I crawled underneath and inspected the underside of the rocker panels in excruciating detail to make sure there was no damage. Only saw a few hairline scratches far on the underside that were there when I bought the car.

When I got to the dealership, I had a long talk with the service manager about proper lifting procedures - using pucks, setting the machine lower before swinging the arms under, etc. Expressed how this car is pristine and if he could vouch that the guys would take good care of it. He says his guys are well aware of how to properly lift a Z06 and that it would be no issue.

I get the car back, and it turns out some cave dwelling moron swung the lift arm under my car without even so much as bending over to make sure it would clear:

It's maybe the size of a dime if that, and it's 90-95% on the underside of the panel with only a tiny fraction on the side.

In the face of my angry rant, the service manager immediately accepted responsibility and indicated that the bodyshop on premises would take care of it.

My issue is.......I don't want to end up with some sort of paint work that's not as good as the factory, just to fix this little blemish. What would be the best option for having this repaired with minimal paintwork, etc? I'm not even considering having them blend other panels or anything like that.
Its one thing to get a little rock chip driving down the road, but its something else when you take your car to get worked on and the shop/ dealer does some damage. I would feel like you do, after all you are paying them to do constructive, not destructive work on your car. I work long and hard to keep my Vette as a 2nd car and I enjoy keeping it like new.almost as much as I enjoy driving it...........I hope they do a good job on the repair.for you........
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcrider
New compared to who? You?

e've got 45 years building Harley's and I can promise you that in all those years I haven't heard 1/100th the whining about minimal **** like I 've heard here in the last 6 months.

The biggest difference is HD people actually RIDE their bikes. Seems like an awful lot of people with vettes just wax them, and complain.
Who the F*#K are you?..........The Corvette king/dictator ?.........You don't like a post, or what its about then don't read it or comment, Just move along..........BTW I've ridden bikes for 35 years (all types,makes) and its H-D riders that ride their bikes less than others and baby them more than others......

Get notified of new replies

To Moron Dealership Dented Fiberglass Rocker Panel

Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

I think I might just use the touch up if it comes out well, I don’t want to start sanding or anything like that.
Then a small dab of Bondo or jb weld and touch some paint on it.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Good luck OP.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I am seeing an ever increasing number of posts from "new" members bitching about the most inane little things and I am beginning to think these are just trolls who come here to see who they can wind up, and there are an unlimited number of people here who can get wound up over **** like this.
Yes, we all know that to you your Corvette is nothing more than just another disposable car. In this you are in the absolute minority as every other forum member feels differently than you. This is a forum for people who are passionate about their Corvettes, unlike you. If you can't understand this, go elsewhere or stop complaining because it has always been that way here, and always will be.

If this isn't a troll thread, then you should immediately sell your vette and get another car because things are going to happen to it and you are going to have to go into therapy to deal with those instances.
The only troll in this thread is you.

Quick Reply: Moron Dealership Dented Fiberglass Rocker Panel