C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:37 PM
BlackLS
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tj25
i had a similar issue on my 16 suburban when i installed the aftermarket escalade taillights with resistors.

i belive it is a resistor issue, i remember reading here in the forums from a fellow corvette owner about a similar issue with led aftermarket lights and he solved the problem by installing an extra resistor or replacing it , cant remember it now.

in the suburban even after the vendor sent me another set of taillights it wouldnt solve the issue.gave to another friend with same car (mine was an LT his was an ltz), he didnt have the same problem.

good luck figuring it out
Thanks for the suggestions.

I really do like these lights but I don't want to have to figure it out. I am hoping TRS does the right thing and lets me return them without a 20% restocking fee.

Last edited by BlackLS; 01-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:50 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

What is all this talk of headlights? This is a tail light thread. Keep it on topic, kids.
The following users liked this post:
wideglideleon (09-21-2020)
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by COMMANDER2OOO
I had the gen 1 headlights but had to send them back because of a short in them. Vettelights replaced them with the gen2 and they have the flash to pass, mine work perfect.
I sent the old lights back one week and had the new ones the next, I was really impressed by that.
The FTP works with the headlights ON. On your gen 2 headlights, does the FTP work with ONLY the DRL's on? Cole of VetteLights stated that they do not so I figured he knows what he is talking about.

Also, read RadioFlyers explanation of the gen 2 lights here.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 01-19-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 PM
95ramair
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update to a resolution to this problem?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:56 AM
BlackLS
Racer

Originally Posted by 95ramair
Any update to a resolution to this problem?
No, I could not get the tail lights to work properly so I sent them back to TRS for a full refund.

I have since installed Eagle Eyes and they work perfectly.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:58 AM
95ramair
7th Gear

Ugh. I really like the look of the Morimoto lights and am hoping there's a way to use them. Thanks for your reply.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM
95ramair
7th Gear

Is your car a convertible too? I couldn't tell for sure in the videos.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:33 PM
BlackLS
Racer

Is your car a convertible too? I couldn't tell for sure in the videos.
No it is a 2005 base coupe.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:21 PM
95ramair
7th Gear

I was able to fix my problem, and use the Morimoto tail lights. With my 2013 Grand Sport convertible, the IPC would illuminate, the Nav would illuminate, the HVAC would illuminate, and the lights on indicator in the IPC would come one when the brakes were applied (in accessory mode or while running), and the parking lights were off. This would also occur when the four way flashers were activated. This only happened with all four Morimoto tail lights installed. Three or less Morimoto lamps with a factory lamp(s) installed, would make the problem go away.

I, along with Morimoto, and Radioflyer Innovations thought that there may be a resistance issue. Morimoto uses eight 14 ohm resistors (two per lamp). Each lamp tested to have approximately 7.4-7.6 ohms of resistance. I removed the resistors on the lights and installed the Radioflyer Innovations resistor harness (my own theory/recommendation), but nothing changed.

Morimoto offered no assistance, and advised me that they did see this problem before, but were unable to resolve it.

I contacted George at Radioflyer Innovations and we spitballed a hypothesis of mine, and George sent me a diode to put inline in his harness. I installed the diode into his harness, and the lights now function properly without messing up the car.

I would like to thank George for his time, effort, and sending me the part that I needed.

If you come across this issue, I recommend that you contact George at Radioflyer Innovations.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
pql-lbc
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLS
No, I could not get the tail lights to work properly so I sent them back to TRS for a full refund.

I have since installed Eagle Eyes and they work perfectly.
Lucky for you bud. I have the Morimoto headlight / taillight combo on my 2011 ZR1 and experienced the same anomaly with the hockey sticks dimming whenever I stepped on the brakes. Engaged with the vendor (not Vettelights) and was told that they had never heard of this problem before. We discussed exchanging the tail lights for another set but when the vendor found out that I had a shop apply a dark clearcoat on the lenses, they refused to take them back.

The Morimoto products were released way before they were ready for prime time and I'm the sucker for buying them.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=95ramair;1599202482]I was able to fix my problem, and use the Morimoto tail lights. With my 2013 Grand Sport convertible, the IPC would illuminate, the Nav would illuminate, the HVAC would illuminate, and the lights on indicator in the IPC would come one when the brakes were applied (in accessory mode or while running), and the parking lights were off. This would also occur when the four way flashers were activated. This only happened with all four Morimoto tail lights installed. Three or less Morimoto lamps with a factory lamp(s) installed, would make the problem go away.

I, along with Morimoto, and Radioflyer Innovations thought that there may be a resistance issue. Morimoto uses eight 14 ohm resistors (two per lamp). Each lamp tested to have approximately 7.4-7.6 ohms of resistance. I removed the resistors on the lights and installed the Radioflyer Innovations resistor harness (my own theory/recommendation), but nothing changed.

Morimoto offered no assistance, and advised me that they did see this problem before, but were unable to resolve it.

Oh my gosh! What kind of manufacturer/vendor knowingly sells a component that does not function as advertised, and in fact is still selling it. Further, offers no solution when the customer asks for help .

Curious if this situation is even legal? At the very least, its unethical.
The following users liked this post:
joec (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Blackbird313
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue on 07 z51 when I press on the brake the interior lights come on, when I use turn signal the interior lights flash with the turn signal , when I disconnected all 4 the problem went away, when I connected just one problem returned. I got them from vette lights

Last edited by Blackbird313; 05-04-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 PM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird313
I have the same issue on 07 z51 when I press on the brake the interior lights come on, when I use turn signal the interior lights flash with the turn signal , when I disconnected all 4 the problem went away, when I connected just one problem returned. I got them from vette lights
I hate to say this Blackbird, but I think you're screwed. I say this because since August last year have been doing my utmost to get my Morimoto headlights to function as advertised.

Last edited by Larry Myers; 05-04-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:53 PM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird313
Have you contacted Vette Lights??? I have the same lights that was shipped from the same shipment as you an I have no problems with mine. But if I did I would contact Cole @ Vette lights.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:17 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Its a resistance thing. Some are running halogen bulbs in everything else, while other have leds in the drl/turns, or fogs, or lows, or highs, or reverse.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Blackbird313
Instructor

I contacted cole and waiting for a resolution, I really like the style and hope the send me the proper resistor so I can swap them out, also all my lights are led no halogen bulbs.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:41 PM
95ramair
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jimijam
Its a resistance thing. Some are running halogen bulbs in everything else, while other have leds in the drl/turns, or fogs, or lows, or highs, or reverse.
No, it is not a resistance thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights

Old 05-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Blackbird313
Instructor

Could be just a bad set since they were rushing to make product and get people's money. I previously had the eagle eyes for yrs and never had a problem.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:02 PM
VetteLights
Supporting Vendor

Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

No, it is not a resistance thing.
This is nothing with a bad batch or bad units. This is something that so far around 8 out of hundreds of cars with the tails have experienced.

We have not determined the linking connection amongst the few cars that experience this yet but we have elevated the concern to the factory for root cause analysis and have been made aware of the remedy for the few affected vettes with Todd’s awesome hypothesis testing!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Blackbird313
Instructor

Well I hope remedy comes soon cant go to the car shows without tail lights, you keep ur boot in their butt for a remedy 😁

Quick Reply: Problem with New Morimoto Tail Lights