C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant tell if they want to race, or kill me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 07:32 AM
Solaris
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I've gotten tailgaters often enough to notice it's more than my Cobalt SS ever gets. Pickup trucks tend to be in a huge hurry around my Corvette. Get ready for it to get worse with the crumbling economy. People will be more frustrated than ever on the road and seeing somebody else doing well will draw out intense envy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Solaris:
BigEC6 (08-30-2022), Red Greene (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:20 AM
sramzzz
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 656 Posts

I see the tailgate guys on the interstate more often than not come up on me and I am typically 10 over the speed limit. That is irritating to me and I usually give way, except to rice burners with the fart pipes.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:48 AM
Flipper dude
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I can honestly say that it’s never happened to me in the 4 years I’ve owned the car. But I’m ready, dammit!
Old 06-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by sramzzz
I see the tailgate guys on the interstate more often than not come up on me and I am typically 10 over the speed limit.
It doesn't matter if you're 10 mph over, get the hell out of the fast lane. Some of us are actually trying to break the law for real.

Nothing is more annoying then someone camping is the fast lane. If you're being tailgated you're in the wrong lane.
The following 11 users liked this post by Iceaxe:
BigEC6 (08-30-2022), erns65 (09-01-2022), HBsurfer (06-29-2022), joghotrod (07-04-2022), Nhdataguy (08-24-2022), NoVA Vette (06-28-2022), ominousone (06-28-2022), rgibson214 (08-26-2022), StayinStock (06-29-2022), TiltVert (07-01-2022), VetteVinnie (08-31-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 AM
Brent4880
Safety Car

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

I live in a poor rural area, maybe similar to Whodamans’. No interstates or two lane stops in the whole county. I think there’s only 7 stop lights in the county and 6 are in the county seat. In the nearly 11 months I’ve owned my C6, I’ve seen a couple C3s, 1 C4, 1 C5 (my future BIL), 1C7, and 1C8. There are quite a few Mustangs and a smaller number of Challengers/Chargers - the 1 dealership is Ford/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Reactions so far have been quite positive and there are very few situations that may foster street or road racing - just lots of curvy 2 lane roads.
The only time that may have fallen in this category was last fall. A couple young fellas in a pu came up behind me on a 6 mile stretch of county road. It is all double yellow and not wanting to hold them up since they seemed in a hurry, I increased my velocity. They picked up the pace as well but pickups seem a little less adept at carrying speed through corners so when I turned off onto the township road I live on, they weren’t close enough to need to slow down for me to turn in. I did feel good that I had not hindered their progress.
I think in the situations some of you encounter, I would give them a wave and just keep doing my thing. I’m 60 and probably would have had a different approach when I was a little younger. Enjoy your Vettes and be safe!
Old 06-28-2022, 10:59 AM
Dzv69
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 229 Posts

The moment i detect/sense that someone is challenging me, the adrenaline gushes like a tidal wave, i can't control it, i go into a trance, a speed-zombie in "death race" mode (conditions permitting not to endanger anyone)

Last edited by Dzv69; 06-28-2022 at 11:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TiltVert (07-01-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:01 AM
unkled20
Racer

Received 303 Likes on 148 Posts

I have talked about this in other threads as have a lot of us here. I mostly have positive interactions with people. I was driving home from work one day with the top down when I saw a convertible Mustang switching lanes behind me. By the way he was driving, I knew he was trying to get next to me. I just minded my own business and kept driving. Of course I hit a light and he pulls up next to me. I just kept looking forward and ignored him. Finally I heard him trying to say something, so I turned down my radio and looked over at him with a "what do you want" look on my face.

He said "do you want to race or trade?" I said, "I don't want to race because I don't want to embarrass you in front of all these other people, and I don't want to trade because I'm not a Mustang guy". He said "ok, I like your response and I understand". We both laughed and then talked through the rest of the light. He told me how much he liked my car and said he would rather have a Vette, but they were a little out of his price range. The light turned green and we both just drove away as we normally would.

I guess, just like a couple other stories on here, you think that the interaction is going one way, but you never know what is going to happen until it happens.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:07 AM
NoVA Vette
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
It doesn't matter if you're 10 mph over, get the hell out of the fast lane. Some of us are actually trying to break the law for real.

Nothing is more annoying then someone camping is the fast lane. If you're being tailgated you're in the wrong lane.
Ok, so I thought that I was the only other person that this annoys the ever living hell out of. The left lane is the passing lane, doesn't matter if you're going 5 over, 10 over, 35 over, etc. You must be "actively" passing traffic (no, taking 2 miles to pass 1 car is not considered active), and once you pass and it is clear, move over so that the left lane is clear for anyone else who wants to use it to pass. No one is supposed to just sit in the left lane. If I'm passing cars going 10 over and I see someone flying up on me, I will continue to pass, but I'll put my right blinker on to let them know that I see them and I will get over as soon as I'm able to. It's not anyone's job to play police and monitor the left lane to stop speeders as guess what, in most states (including my own!), camping in the left lane is a traffic violation as well so you're stopping someone from committing a traffic violation by committing a different violation yourself.
The following 3 users liked this post by NoVA Vette:
BigEC6 (08-30-2022), LightningBrett (08-26-2022), ominousone (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:08 AM
NoVA Vette
Instructor

Also, I never have and never will race on the street, only on the track.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:09 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKrieger
I've had a few instances where others want to race.......when they see the supercharged badges I believe they just want to see what the car will do. Seldom do I do anything to amuse them. However, after a cruise in north of Phoenix, I was on my way back to my home when a Mustang GT 500 (a brand new car) came around me on the freeway, pulled in front of me and put on the brakes to the point where I had to jam the brakes to avoid hitting him. It did **** me off to the point where I went around him on the right side with heavy throttle just to get away from this guy, then he began the pull up beside and rev the engine trick. I just couldn't help myself. There were no cars in front of us and I down shifted and hit it......pulled him by about 3 lengths in about 5 seconds, and shut it down. He was embarrassed enough that he slowed down and left me alone. I was not about to get pulled over by a camouflaged state trooper. On one other scenario a tuner Honda pulled up beside me and I was determined to put this guy in his place. He went on to pull me badly. I was embarrassed, however, he pulled into a parking lot , and I stopped to meet him and we talked about his car that had 875hp with 50 lbs of boost. I should have known when I spotted drag radials on the front of his car. Very nice kid through it all. There is always someone faster, and generally I don't do any street racing, and I did learn my lesson so to speak.
It isn't possible that this happened to you in Phoenix. According to many of the forum members this only happens to me, and only because I did something in a past life that made karma catch up to me. Yep. Just not possible. You were imagining the entire thing.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:14 AM
vivasantana
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

C'mon man, get a C4 like I did & nobody bothers you

Rock on Santana! Rock on!
Six decades strong!

93 Vette
74 capri MK1​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by vivasantana:
jeffs64 (07-01-2022), Red Greene (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:20 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 497 Likes on 378 Posts

now bear with me.
after 4 years i got out of the marine corps in november 1971 and by summer 1973 i had a harley super glide and a 68' corvette convertible. even back then the vette was a race magnet and for the next 50 years that did not change. fast forward to todays time and the most challenges i get are from camaros/mustangs/challengers/chargers/etc and a few imports. if i'm in my 2017 grand sport i will let them irritate and play with themselves, but if i'm in my 2007 600rwhp z06 i may play back and tease them to no end, except for this 1 mustang coming back from the tuners. he played with me for a couple miles until i dumped it down into 3rd gear and dumped the clutch. put such a hurtin on him and backed off. i guess he didn't get the memo but after quite a few seconds he flew past me and i never saw him again.
now for the really irritating part. i live on a corner of a t intersection with a stop sign and have a 6 car garage with the 4 vettes in it. now all these yahoos have left the main streets and tracked me to my corner of the world. you can hear them flying down the street, speed limit 30mph, and down shifting/revving their engines, running the stop sign, and then nailing it going either left or right. all the while looking into the garage if the doors are up. then they do the same procedure going back out. i have talked to a few friends who live in my same subdivision about this and they do not have the same experience.
i guess i'm special!
Mjet67 (08-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:57 AM
NoVA Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sleazy Rider
now bear with me.
after 4 years i got out of the marine corps in november 1971 and by summer 1973 i had a harley super glide and a 68' corvette convertible. even back then the vette was a race magnet and for the next 50 years that did not change. fast forward to todays time and the most challenges i get are from camaros/mustangs/challengers/chargers/etc and a few imports. if i'm in my 2017 grand sport i will let them irritate and play with themselves, but if i'm in my 2007 600rwhp z06 i may play back and tease them to no end, except for this 1 mustang coming back from the tuners. he played with me for a couple miles until i dumped it down into 3rd gear and dumped the clutch. put such a hurtin on him and backed off. i guess he didn't get the memo but after quite a few seconds he flew past me and i never saw him again.
now for the really irritating part. i live on a corner of a t intersection with a stop sign and have a 6 car garage with the 4 vettes in it. now all these yahoos have left the main streets and tracked me to my corner of the world. you can hear them flying down the street, speed limit 30mph, and down shifting/revving their engines, running the stop sign, and then nailing it going either left or right. all the while looking into the garage if the doors are up. then they do the same procedure going back out. i have talked to a few friends who live in my same subdivision about this and they do not have the same experience.
i guess i'm special!
2017 Grand Sport, 2007 Z, and 6 car garage? You are doing life right, my friend!
Old 06-28-2022, 12:03 PM
DrKrieger
Drifting

Received 850 Likes on 495 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Was just another day when you own a Corvette.......I guess!
Red Greene (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:20 PM
endus
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't get a crazy number of people wanting to race, but definitely more than previous cars. I think the Vette is a benchmark for people. I ignore them. I've never been obsessed with straight line speed and whether or not my car is faster in a straight line isn't really something I care that much about.

One guy in an Audi with one of those stupid popcorn tunes was absolutely desperate to race me on the highway. I hadn't heard of a popcorn tune at that point. The sound hit me while I was on the on ramp, just as I had glanced over my shoulder to see if there was traffic in the right lane. Absolute truth here - my first thought was that I had veered off the road while looking over my shoulder and ran over a fence. I freaked out for a second. He was on and off the throttle crackling away trying to get me to race. I thought there was something wrong with his car.

I was on another on ramp that was free of traffic and laid out rather nicely, so I engaged in some spirited driving. I noticed there was an STi following me. Don't want to race, but happy to follow or be followed through a nice stretch of corners and see who's keeping up. I got on the highway and just stayed in the right lane because there was traffic and I wasn't trying to drive fast. He pulls up next to me and I'm like, "oh no, here we go". I look over and the guy points to his ear and then gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up. He just liked the sound of the exhaust! That's my kind of person!
Old 06-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Red Greene
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 146 Posts

Sometimes people need/want a fly by. Sometimes you gotta give the people what the want/need for them to leave you alone.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:51 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 497 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVA Vette
2017 Grand Sport, 2007 Z, and 6 car garage? You are doing life right, my friend!
1972 targa blue LT-1 with factory air conditioning owned since november 1974 ( birthday present to me )
1991 quasar blue ZR-1 with 530 hp lingenfelter package
2007 le mans blue Z06, 601 rwhp
2017 admiral blue Grand Sport with Z07, stock as a rock

Originally Posted by endus
I look over and the guy points to his ear and then gives me an enthusiastic thumbs up. He just liked the sound of the exhaust! That's my kind of person!
now this is a car guy, likes the sound of the exhaust and doesn't get obnoxious.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sleazy Rider:
endus (06-29-2022), TiltVert (07-01-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Cant tell if they want to race, or kill me.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:52 PM
Whodamans
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by vivasantana

Rock on Santana! Rock on!
Six decades strong!

93 Vette
74 capri MK1

If they know, they pity >< maybe come up from behind and try and give you a little push! so you can hit 60 before the next decade =)
Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 PM
Whodamans
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe

I never camp it, but i HATE passing on the right and its 100% commonplace these days. Sometimes im in the fast lane waiting for the guy in front of me who is either in a line passing a semi or just camping himself. Wither that clears up or not, drives me crazy when im trying to get out of the fast lane and people just passing on the right, if they wait .1 second i would get over and they could pass in the correct lane.

my pet peev on my long trips... seen an increasing amount of people on onramps refuse to adjust their speed to merge, target fixation probably, then flip me off or raise a fist because i didn't adjust or get over. Completely clueless how this is supposed to work. There is a reason we defaulted it to one party so we both know who needs to make the move. The problem comes when we both try and adjust, then run out of road. but then to be angry because you don't know the law... **** right off.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:59 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 368 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by vivasantana
I don't know what the reasoning is but back in 2018 when I bought my LS swapped '84, it seemed like everyone wanted to race. All I had to do was hang out at the speed limit in the right lane and one of these guys would pull up and want to roll. Now in 2022, I am the guy trying to entice folks into a roll. Might be that my car is now much louder and is on R888Rs but I think it has more to do with all sorts of OEM cars being pretty damn quick and they see the C4 and think it is a waste of time and abuse.

Quick Reply: Cant tell if they want to race, or kill me.