Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 AM
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzu
Lets not forget basic principles of how much a difference HP makes throughout the powerband. I have yet to see what type of power the Viper makes on a dyno so I can't comment on that car. The torque curve on the ZO6's and HP curves are very smooth and high throughout the powerband giving it power all the way through the RPMs. The ZO6 redline is 7100 RPMs vs the Vipers 6200 RPM, which can make quite a difference. Also important to mention is the gearing in relation to that power is also a big factor. Lastly, there are many other reasons why the ZO6 edges out other cars with 600 plus HP. Take all the above said into consideration and add in the areodynamics, light body, tires, differencial, suspension, and presto, you have a car that can pull away from those with much more HP.

I have a video on street fire of my stock ZO6 running a modified 560 RWHP GT500 from 60 to upper 100's. I'm not giving the link since street racing is frowned upon here, but I pull on him everytime. I have also ran my buddies 996TT Porsche several dozen times that has just about 620 flywheel HP, and we're about neck and neck with me edging him out by a headlight.

You have seen it on various other sites, and continue to see this car in stock form take out cars with much more power, and it has to do with the cars entire package. There's much more to a car than just the total HP it puts out. Total HP numbers are good for story books, it's the entire car that makes that HP work, and the ZO6 continues to prove that ohh so well.
you wouldn't mind pm'ing me the link of that run against the shelby??
Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
blitzu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
you wouldn't mind pm'ing me the link of that run against the shelby??
YG PM! I ran a TT 900 + RWHP Ford GT at the end..... it was entertaining watching him trying to get traction under 100 MPH.... but once he did
Old 08-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Onerareviper
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
Dude, do I have to sit in the 08 viper to know the interior looks cheap. Dodge has pictures of it on their site. It looks like garbage. It really does. If you want to talk about no frills race car. Then thats what the lotus is. A car that costs as much as the viper should have amenities. Otherwise you are just buying a big engine.
Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm responding to this one, as I feel you are in the minority (even on this site). At least in the Z06 section. But here goes...

Again, it's all in the beholder. I agree with you when you're looking for a luxury car, or an every day car. Then I want some amenities. But to say this about a pure performance car is I guess in your mind the Ferrari F40/F50, McLaren F1, Ford GT, etc... are worthless. You say a car costing 70+ G's should have amentities, I say a car costing 70+ G's should 'not have' an Earl Schiebb orange peel paint job and plastic engine covers. Ouch. Did I just say that? Honestly, I love the Z06. But see how easy it is to pass judgement.... And yes, all Vipers are entirely hand built and wet sanded/buffed to near show quality finish.

P.S. - And YES, I do think you need to actually see, feel, sit in, operate, and even drive a car before passing judgement on the interior. I have never passed judgement on a car from any review, let alone online pictures. But that's just me....

Last edited by Onerareviper; 08-28-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 AM
camarodoctor
I ♥ My Corvette
Support Corvetteforum!

Lets not forget basic principles of how much a difference HP makes throughout the powerband. I have yet to see what type of power the Viper makes on a dyno so I can't comment on that car. The torque curve on the ZO6's and HP curves are very smooth and high throughout the powerband giving it power all the way through the RPMs. The ZO6 redline is 7100 RPMs vs the Vipers 6200 RPM, which can make quite a difference. Also important to mention is the gearing in relation to that power is also a big factor. Lastly, there are many other reasons why the ZO6 edges out other cars with 600 plus HP. Take all the above said into consideration and add in the areodynamics, light body, tires, differencial, suspension, and presto, you have a car that can pull away from those with much more HP.

I have a video on street fire of my stock ZO6 running a modified 560 RWHP GT500 from 60 to upper 100's. I'm not giving the link since street racing is frowned upon here, but I pull on him everytime. I have also ran my buddies 996TT Porsche several dozen times that has just about 620 flywheel HP, and we're about neck and neck with me edging him out by a headlight.

You have seen it on various other sites, and continue to see this car in stock form take out cars with much more power, and it has to do with the cars entire package. There's much more to a car than just the total HP it puts out. Total HP numbers are good for story books, it's the entire car that makes that HP work, and the ZO6 continues to prove that ohh so well.
Amen. My GTO has more than 600 hp at the flywheel and the difference from 0-150 mph is about a 3 second advantage for the Z06. The only thing I wish the Z06 had was the M12 tranny's 5th gear. The Z06's MN6 4th-5th shift is quite an RPM drop (7000 to ~5100 rpm), whereas the GTO's M12 4th-5th shift keeps the revs right where I want them (7000 to ~5900 rpm). At that point, even though the GTO is traveling over 150 mph, the Z06 would already be much further down the road and still pulling away.

Last edited by camarodoctor; 08-28-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Sorry but if that Porsche TT really had 620 hp, it wouldnt be neck and neck, it would be a beating for your Z. A legit 620 hp is good for 130's in the TT.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
blitzu
Racer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Sorry but if that Porsche TT really had 620 hp, it wouldnt be neck and neck, it would be a beating for your Z. A legit 620 hp is good for 130's in the TT.
I usually get a good jump on him right away, honestly about a car length, but by the time his turbo's spool up he begins catching up. We don't run them to the car limits but we run them high, and by the time we shut down he is right besides me... not really pulling like he does inbetween his 3-4 shift, but his gears are right inbetween mine, so when he shifts I am flying through the middle of my gear, and when I shift he's pulling in his. It's really funny to watch. If we were to start at a higher MPH he would pull about a car on me, because his mid to upper power is crazy, but I get the good jump on the lower end.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BOTH Great cars!!

On the road course we will all run out of ability with either car long before we run out of power!!! I have experienced this MANY times!!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I usually get a good jump on him right away, honestly about a car length, but by the time his turbo's spool up he begins catching up. We don't run them to the car limits but we run them high, and by the time we shut down he is right besides me... not really pulling like he does inbetween his 3-4 shift, but his gears are right inbetween mine, so when he shifts I am flying through the middle of my gear, and when I shift he's pulling in his. It's really funny to watch. If we were to start at a higher MPH he would pull about a car on me, because his mid to upper power is crazy, but I get the good jump on the lower end.

Makes sense!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeddyFreddy
"The old 03-06 Vipers were more than a match for the C6 Z06 on any roadcourse" ??? Based on what? Here is what prestigious car magazines and TV shows have found:

Race Track ____________________________ C6 Z06 (05-07) __ Viper SRT-10 (05-06)
Nordschleife __________________________ 7:42.90 _________ 8:13.00
Virginia International Raceway ________ 2:58.20 _________ 3:01.60
Top Gear ______________________________ 1:22.40 _________ 1:28.50
GingerMan Raceway _____________________ 1:32.75 _________ 1:33.95
Hockenheim Short ______________________ 1:11.50 _________ 1:13.70
Vairano Handling Course _______________ 1:19.50 _________ 1:19.51
Grattan Raceway _______________________ 1:26.00 _________ 1:27.50
Willow Springs ________________________ 1:01.16 _________ 1:33.30
Daimler-Chrysler Proving Ground _______ 1:15.40 _________ 1:16.70
Autozeitung ___________________________ 1:39.40 _________ 1:39.90
Balocco _______________________________ 2:50.30 _________ 2:52.60

If Z06 11 vs old Viper 0 is not a beat-down, then let me know what a beat-down is

I agree with you that the 2008 Viper may become a winner, but the margin will be very slim. The reason is weight; lots of torque and power advantage won't get the Viper very far because the advantage cannot be used (no traction).

I welcome the 2008 Viper as another extraordinary American car! I don't mind if the 2008 Viper will get slightly better results than the Z06 in future tests. It better get those results because it is $14K more than the Z06 (at MSRP).

This post shows a general lack of understanding on your part....

The Ring times mean nothing....Euro Vipers arent as powerful as on our shores after they get it up to there specs....Just as in the GTS cas that did 8.10 there was making much less than 450 hp and the Vette had the benefit of a factory race car driver. They camped out at the Ring and lapped and lapped till they got that time...Doubtful the amature that drove both Vipers had that kind of seat time or skill...These are magazine driver not on Magnussen's level....

Why are you quoting the Car and Driver test where they didnt run the Viper vs Z06 head to head????The time you quoted means dick since they werent tested on the same day....The C & D article I quoted was done on the same day under similar track/weather conditions and the Viper was ONLY .5 behind the Z06...Come on now dont be an Ostrich and pretend this test never happened...You mentioned "prestigeous" and C&D in the same breath so you better take all C&D tests into account and not just the one that suits you.....

If you want to throw the 08 Z06 numbers at a Viper why not at the 08 Viper eh???lol....dont pick on the older car that was nearing the end of its life cycle when the Z06 came out....

BTW the Top Gear test was done in the wet and they said that typically cars are 5-6 second faster in the dry so had the Viper been run on the dry track its easy to see it would have been much faster than 1:28.......

Those cut and paste job you did was nice and the untrained would just gobble that up as proof......How many of those were head to head, same day/time, with a competant driver in both???The answer is obvious......There are tests by "prestigeous" mags like Motor Trend that have the Viper beating the Z06 but no mention by you???Very puzzling.....BTW those were same day same conditions unlike most of your list.......
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Verrückt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Speaking about yourself, right?

The Ring times mean nothing
Wrong.

Euro Vipers arent as powerful as on our shores after they get it up to there specs
Wrong.

....Just as in the GTS cas that did 8.10 there was making much less than 450 hp and the Vette had the benefit of a factory race car driver.
???

The GTS they tested had the same horsepower spec as the US car did in 1997. It ran an 8:10. In 2004, they tested a 500 hp SRT spec car, just like the US version. It clocked 8:13.

They camped out at the Ring and lapped and lapped till they got that time...Doubtful the amature that drove both Vipers had that kind of seat time or skill...These are magazine driver not on Magnussen's level....
This just shows you're talking out of your *** and have no clue.

The driver, Horst von Saurma, is one of the most consistant and reputable 'ring drivers out there. He has THOUSANDS of laps. He's done all of these and more. You're right, he's not a pro race driver (anymore) and he doesn't camp out and tweak the car like GM did. He ran a 7:49 in a true bone stock (single try) car versus Magnusson for GM in a "tweaked" stock car that ran 7:43 in 4 trys.

But still, same driver, same track, similar conditions, he ran a 7:49 in the Z06, 7:52 in the Ford GT, and an 8:13 in the Viper SRT-10.

Anything else you want to make up now?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I've had quite a bit of seat time in both cars: '06 Z06 and '04 SRT-10 vert.

Again... they serve different purposes... and that's fine. The Corvette is a car that is designed to be happy as a civil daily driver. It does that fantastically. However, it's also an amazing performance car, especially on track.

As Onerareviper has been saying the Viper is really designed as a weekend bruiser because that's what the core owner group wants... and that's fine too.

Tracking a Z06 is awesome... but so is cruising around town in a Viper w/ the top down.

As for sound... I don't think the Viper sounds like crap... in fact, a Viper w/ exhaust sounds like an exotic on steroids.

My only real complaint about the Viper is that being 6'4" 240 I don't fit... the seats pinch my shoulders and my head is above the windshield so I have to look down on the hood... it really sucks.

Lastly, the interior is indeed lacking... the tach doesn't have much contrast and the hashes are harder to see. The Corvette has one of the best instrument clusters in the industry. Hard to get over the caravan hvac and stereo, but roaring through the gears of a screaming V10 helps a bunch

Solution? Get both C6Z as my DD/track car and the Viper as my weekend toy... now where was that winning powerball ticket?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:05 AM
WestxC6Zo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I've had quite a bit of seat time in both cars: '06 Z06 and '04 SRT-10 vert.

Again... they serve different purposes... and that's fine. The Corvette is a car that is designed to be happy as a civil daily driver. It does that fantastically. However, it's also an amazing performance car, especially on track.

As Onerareviper has been saying the Viper is really designed as a weekend bruiser because that's what the core owner group wants... and that's fine too.

Tracking a Z06 is awesome... but so is cruising around town in a Viper w/ the top down.

As for sound... I don't think the Viper sounds like crap... in fact, a Viper w/ exhaust sounds like an exotic on steroids.

My only real complaint about the Viper is that being 6'4" 240 I don't fit... the seats pinch my shoulders and my head is above the windshield so I have to look down on the hood... it really sucks.

Lastly, the interior is indeed lacking... the tach doesn't have much contrast and the hashes are harder to see. The Corvette has one of the best instrument clusters in the industry. Hard to get over the caravan hvac and stereo, but roaring through the gears of a screaming V10 helps a bunch

Solution? Get both C6Z as my DD/track car and the Viper as my weekend toy... now where was that winning powerball ticket?
As for sound in my opinion the Viper has the Z06 beat...here are two sound clips @ idle, the first is my 07z with B&B Fusions open and closed- the second is my Viper truck with Bassani headers and Magnaflows. I used the same sound recording device on both recordings.
Attached Files
File Type: wav
idleCl_Opx2.wav (291.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: wav
DW_S0078.wav (57.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 AM
SnakeBitten
Instructor

Originally Posted by Verrückt
Speaking about yourself, right?

Wrong.

Wrong.

???

The GTS they tested had the same horsepower spec as the US car did in 1997. It ran an 8:10. In 2004, they tested a 500 hp SRT spec car, just like the US version. It clocked 8:13.

This just shows you're talking out of your *** and have no clue.

The driver, Horst von Saurma, is one of the most consistant and reputable 'ring drivers out there. He has THOUSANDS of laps. He's done all of these and more. You're right, he's not a pro race driver (anymore) and he doesn't camp out and tweak the car like GM did. He ran a 7:49 in a true bone stock (single try) car versus Magnusson for GM in a "tweaked" stock car that ran 7:43 in 4 trys.

But still, same driver, same track, similar conditions, he ran a 7:49 in the Z06, 7:52 in the Ford GT, and an 8:13 in the Viper SRT-10.

Anything else you want to make up now?

touche lol.....Seems like I might have been wrong on some of the info Ive read elsewhere...Specifically talking about teh Ring Vipers etc...Ive read that they undergo some type of emmisions mumbo jumbo that chokes the power....I remember also reading the 8:10 GTS Viper was making only 411hp which would indicate that what I read may be true.....

As for the drivers I also read they were mag drivers so I assumed they on the level of our typical mag drivers...My mistake...And yes, yes I know what assuming does So we are both asses as it makes an *** out of you and me..Hey I need company....

Makes you wonder what to believe on the net....

BTW when I said the Ring time means nothing its because they were done on different days with different drivers/conditions etc....However that is a large gap between the two....What bugs me is that on a 4+ mile track like VIR the Viper is only .5 behind the Z06 both being 06's....Why then would a car that competative be just utterly uncompetative on the Ring???Yes its much longer track and a bit more technical and i believe the Z06 would post a faster time but not by 30 something seconds....I wonder what would happen if both cars has factory backing to run the best time at the Ring???Do you guys think that the Z06 you drive has those same tweaks that made it do 7:42???Or is it more likely that only that particular Z06 will do that time since it was tweaked and retweaked....In other words did those tweaks make it to production??

Last edited by SnakeBitten; 08-28-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you guys need to drive a Viper. Looking at one in video/pictures hasn't clued you in to what D/C has done here.

Every sportcar guy needs to drive both. For your daily driver, get a cheap C6, with LS2/LS3 engine. But, for your weekend package, you deserve more.

Here's the challenge, put an '08 Viper vert next to a C6Z in any parking lot, parade, car show, or street in America. The Z will get at best, 1 vote in every 10.

A Viper is pure sex on wheels. The hot chick always turns the heads. And now, after several years, the hot chick also has the better performance @ the Road & Track.

Sometimes you need an eyeopener. Take off your GM blinders .. and face some reality. Put some swing back into your weekend life.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Default Z06 >> old Viper

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten

The Ring times mean nothing....Euro Vipers arent as powerful as on our shores after they get it up to there specs....Just as in the GTS cas that did 8.10 there was making much less than 450 hp and the Vette had the benefit of a factory race car driver. They camped out at the Ring and lapped and lapped till they got that time...Doubtful the amature that drove both Vipers had that kind of seat time or skill...These are magazine driver not on Magnussen's level....

Why are you quoting the Car and Driver test where they didnt run the Viper vs Z06 head to head????The time you quoted means dick since they werent tested on the same day....The C & D article I quoted was done on the same day under similar track/weather conditions and the Viper was ONLY .5 behind the Z06...Come on now dont be an Ostrich and pretend this test never happened...You mentioned "prestigeous" and C&D in the same breath so you better take all C&D tests into account and not just the one that suits you.....

If you want to throw the 08 Z06 numbers at a Viper why not at the 08 Viper eh???lol....dont pick on the older car that was nearing the end of its life cycle when the Z06 came out....

BTW the Top Gear test was done in the wet and they said that typically cars are 5-6 second faster in the dry so had the Viper been run on the dry track its easy to see it would have been much faster than 1:28.......

Those cut and paste job you did was nice and the untrained would just gobble that up as proof......How many of those were head to head, same day/time, with a competant driver in both???The answer is obvious......There are tests by "prestigeous" mags like Motor Trend that have the Viper beating the Z06 but no mention by you???Very puzzling.....BTW those were same day same conditions unlike most of your list.......
I will try to answer you points, just to make it clear what these times are, for those who want to understand.

"Euro Vipers arent as powerful as on our shores"
That is "lack of understanding" indeed, but yours. The car is advertised by Dodge in Europe and worldwide with exactly the same specs.

"The Ring times mean nothing"
If you don't like Magnussen's time, let's pick the "Sport Auto" time, well documented, 7:49. Still way better than the Viper.

"they didnt run the Viper vs Z06 head to head"
Yes, they did not. But I never said that these times were run head-to-head, nor by the same driver. These are the fastest times ever recorded by the respective car. I wish we had tests done in the same day with the same driver. But we don't. So we use what we have. If you don't like them, keep trucking.

"If you want to throw the 08 Z06 numbers at a Viper why not at the 08"
Again, I wrote the info that we have. The new car was not tested yet.

"the Top Gear test was done in the wet"
Complain to Top Gear. I cannot dry the track for the Viper.

"Motor Trend that have the Viper beating the Z06 but no mention by you"
As I wrote above, these are the fastest records ever done on that track. If the Z06 run a faster time on that track, the fastest is listed. Which particular test are you referring?

To me is clear that statistically the Z06 is faster than the old Viper. It cannot be that all those 11 records are wrong or the Viper ran always in the wet.

As for the new Viper, it may win, but by a small margin.

That will be taken care of by the Corvette SS, but by a big margin.

Last edited by TeddyFreddy; 08-28-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

What does what other people think about the car have to with anything? People going to the emergency room with burns on their legs and such is pure sex on wheels? Heck, I'll take my wife anyday over that.

Originally Posted by bernrex
Some of you guys need to drive a Viper. Looking at one in video/pictures hasn't clued you in to what D/C has done here.

Every sportcar guy needs to drive both. For your daily driver, get a cheap C6, with LS2/LS3 engine. But, for your weekend package, you deserve more.

Here's the challenge, put an '08 Viper vert next to a C6Z in any parking lot, parade, car show, or street in America. The Z will get at best, 1 vote in every 10.

A Viper is pure sex on wheels. The hot chick always turns the heads. And now, after several years, the hot chick also has the better performance @ the Road & Track.

Sometimes you need an eyeopener. Take off your GM blinders .. and face some reality. Put some swing back into your weekend life.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

can we please stop with all the subjective appearance pleas?....this is the corvette forum for god's sake. you're fighting a battle already lost in this particular arena.

Get notified of new replies

To [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....

Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

This entire thread is making me sick.

Did you really think the new 2008 viper was going to be out-performed by the current Z06?

Do you thing GM will release a new ss/bluedevil that will be out-performed by the 2008 Viper?

The Viper is the newest thing on the block.......and Dodge made sure it could beat the Z06 in performace.....(even if only by small stats)(its hard to improve at this level)

It always nice to have the newest toy.

I'm sure the bluedevil will beat the Viper next year. I love my 07 Z06 and have no itch to get a viper or bluedevil.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robl45
What does what other people think about the car have to with anything? People going to the emergency room with burns on their legs and such is pure sex on wheels? Heck, I'll take my wife anyday over that.
Get over the leg burns stuff. That is so lameo. BTW, you have it partially figured out.

At least you have the JSB LS3 daily driver. Nice, but perhaps someday you gonna want the Big Cigar too. Drive one .... then tell us what you think of D/C's supercar.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:38 PM
WeaponsGradeTorque
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bernrex

So when are you going to order you Viper?

Quick Reply: [Z06] [VIPER MEGA MERGER} C6 Z06 Ties 2008 Viper in MotorTrend....