Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Throttle over-run

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 AM
HotZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle over-run

I live in a neighbourhood with lots of speed bumps. So I have to cruise around at 10mph and de-clutching to navigate the bumps. I notice that if I'm running at around 1500 rpm in 1st gear and de-clutch, the engine seems to take control of itself and slowly slow down. At the same time, there is a certain amount of mechanical activity and jerkiness going on as though the transmission is having difficulties transitioning from drive to non-drive. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Did you do Jim's tune ?
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM
HotZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by GPChase
Did you do Jim's tune ?
Sorry, don't know who Jim is.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Supersubes
Instructor

Jim as in Jim Hall of Halltech. As you may know cars that are throttle by wire give the ECU some freedom when controlling idle and such. You are just feeling the car trying to stabilize the idle. There is lash in the drivetrain which you can work around by staying in the friction zone of the clutch.

Last edited by Supersubes; 11-10-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Nanook
lifeislikeaboxofchocolats
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20- '21-'22-'23-'24

Jim's tune tends to tweak throttle response and driveability
Old 11-10-2007, 10:32 AM
AtlBlkZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you're talking about.

It happened to me as I was entering the garage slowly. As I clutched and braked, the engine accelerated to 1200RPMs even though my foot was on the brake. I was wondering about this too, thanks for posting.

I think it does that because the first gear is pretty tall and its just a part of the idle control.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 AM
1962 corvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too - I have a November 07' production car - noticed the 'over-run' on a road trip last month
RPM hangs up' around 1100 - 1300 it seems after light throttle

Anyone asked a dealer about this ?

Bill
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

I know with some (most?) of e-gas cars they come programmed to slowly bring down the revs when you push in the clutch. It has something to do with burning all the fuel that would normally get expelled out of the exhaust.

I'm probably not explaining that real well but basically it's for emissions. On some cars it can make smooth shifts difficult to do quickly.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 PM
ayousef
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this will be a real problem when you're trying to brake hard and the RPM hangs at that position, happened to me be4 the supercharger install, my tune is so messed up now, the rpms dont hang up high, they drop below idle and cause more trouble lol.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 PM
HotZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I know with some (most?) of e-gas cars they come programmed to slowly bring down the revs when you push in the clutch. It has something to do with burning all the fuel that would normally get expelled out of the exhaust.

I'm probably not explaining that real well but basically it's for emissions. On some cars it can make smooth shifts difficult to do quickly.

I understand your explanation and have had cars that do as you say for emission reasons. However, that used to be a pretty consistent effect. This is inconsistent, as is the transmission system 'backlash'. The only 'fix' I've managed to get to work is to de-clutch early. I've not had chance to see if it varies with air/engine temperature or other variables (I live in a hot part of the world).

Maybe if Jim is reading these threads he can shed some light.

Ayousef, have you found a fix for the 'Overspeed Warning' on the driver display yet?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:04 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I beleive what you are describing is what is commonly called throttle follower action. In an old school carbureted engine, it was called the dash-pot. The throttle follower delays the closure of the throttle plate as you let off the throttle, another action is called the throttle cracker, most of these strategies are designed to keep an engine from stalling when the throttle is snapped closed. Another reason is emissions. In the LS2/LS3/LS7 calibrations, there is a table the can address this very issue. In HPT its call the "final air flow vs gear vs RPM"
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 AM
HotZ06
Advanced

Originally Posted by tjwong
I beleive what you are describing is what is commonly called throttle follower action. In an old school carbureted engine, it was called the dash-pot. The throttle follower delays the closure of the throttle plate as you let off the throttle, another action is called the throttle cracker, most of these strategies are designed to keep an engine from stalling when the throttle is snapped closed. Another reason is emissions. In the LS2/LS3/LS7 calibrations, there is a table the can address this very issue. In HPT its call the "final air flow vs gear vs RPM"
Interesting - but can anything be done to change it? Or rather change the annoying resultant effect?
Old 11-11-2007, 05:07 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My 06Z does not do it.

But my Trailblazer SS does it and it is an automatic. Can be quite scary in the process of stopping and the throttle is working against the brakes and you are off the gas.

At least with the clutch you aren't being pushed.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:12 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HotZ06
Interesting - but can anything be done to change it? Or rather change the annoying resultant effect?
Well, I will know this morning. I am in the process of finalizing a tune on an 07 Z today. One of his complaints is this "cruise control" feeling on decel. In the older calibrations reducing the amount of air flow in a given RPM cell or in some calibration vehicle speed or TPS position will cure the issue. My personal car does this as well but not to the extent that it bothers me.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:13 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outnumbered
My 06Z does not do it.

But my Trailblazer SS does it and it is an automatic. Can be quite scary in the process of stopping and the throttle is working against the brakes and you are off the gas.

At least with the clutch you aren't being pushed.

I tuned a Trailblazer SS earlier this summer, I installed a ported intake, a LS2 90mm TB and tuning. The owners major complaint about the truck was just this issue. It was cured by tweaking the air flow tables.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I tuned a Trailblazer SS earlier this summer, I installed a ported intake, a LS2 90mm TB and tuning. The owners major complaint about the truck was just this issue. It was cured by tweaking the air flow tables.
Thanks, I thought a tune would fix it. It also stinks like after WOT.

It is like there is a huge amount of unburned fuel or something. The Corvette does this a little but the SS is awful. I assumed the tune is very rich.
I bet the SS runs better now.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by outnumbered
Thanks, I thought a tune would fix it. It also stinks like after WOT.

It is like there is a huge amount of unburned fuel or something. The Corvette does this a little but the SS is awful. I assumed the tune is very rich.
I bet the SS runs better now.

Yes,a the PE (WOT) enrichment is very rich on the SS, try a LS2 90mm TB it greatly enhances throttle response!

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle over-run

Old 11-13-2007, 07:59 AM
itsaz
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Well, I will know this morning. I am in the process of finalizing a tune on an 07 Z today. One of his complaints is this "cruise control" feeling on decel. In the older calibrations reducing the amount of air flow in a given RPM cell or in some calibration vehicle speed or TPS position will cure the issue. My personal car does this as well but not to the extent that it bothers me.
Were you able to make any improvements? I'm asking because I have the same problem in my new 08. This was not an issue in my 06.

Tom
Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by itsaz
Were you able to make any improvements? I'm asking because I have the same problem in my new 08. This was not an issue in my 06.

Tom
It was definitely an improvement using the table I posted above.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
HotZ06
Advanced

It was definitely an improvement using the table I posted above.
Congratulations on the improvement. I'm pretty dumb at these things so what di I do? Thanks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Throttle over-run