Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Looks like there is a new ZR1&Viper killer on the loose

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche also tends to time their laps while running in traffic during industry days. The tires are are probably closer than you'd think. The Cup+ tires aren't the same as regular MPSC's. I'd guess the ZR1 might be 5 seconds faster without runflats though.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:41 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDRacing
I wondered about this. Has Porsche acknowledged that the 7:18 time was segmented, or was this based on their general acknowledgement of that practice?
Also, does Porsche have a video of the lap or "segemented laps"? I guess they just expect us to take their word for it?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

History has shown that we can trust their numbers (with their cars only). 3rd party sources with far less experience in the cars have duplicated their times before, even down to the very second. For example, here's a video of a non factory driver taking the CGT to a 7:28 lap, the same time as Porsche claims.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKYmJPCW-M
Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 PM
evoviiiyou
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JDRacing
By the way, that's a beautiful 997.2 Turbo in your avatar, following your prior turbo in your profile. Congratulations on those works of art. A ZR1 would complement it very nicely. And you might even find that the ZR1 is a bit more refined than you thought when you get to spend some time in one.
Thanks man. I agree on the ZR1..I will add one for sure...lets see how they are priced in a year or so.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:19 PM
zeshawn
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you guys have to remember its not 250K, forget what that webpage says, my friend ordered it and its 245,000 EUROs or about $317K that makes things even worse...
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeshawn
you guys have to remember its not 250K, forget what that webpage says, my friend ordered it and its 245,000 EUROs or about $317K that makes things even worse...
The U.S. MSRP is not $317k.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vette friend
One thing to note: Porsche's Nurburgring times are segmented. They have never denied this. In Autoweek, Mero said they segmented 2 laps and the result was a 7:24.5. The time will continue to go down as you add laps. Nevertheless 7:18 is an outstanding time. But these 2 cars are closer than you think. The ZR1 is on full treaded PS-2's and the Porsche on Cup tires. I wish GM would come out with the ZR1 on Cup tires, could make this very interesting.
Put them both on slicks and the ZR1 wins everytime.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, so many "IF´s" and "WHEN´s" in this thread! Indication of envy?

1. this thing IS worth the 250k, because people WILL BUY ALL 500 ones for that price (or even more), it is called market economy!

2. PERHAPS Corvette (Chevy) COULD build a 250k Vette that WOULD beat this Porsche in all out performance and even had a nicer interior, but (at least until now) they DON´T, because - maybe - they are afraid of the sales statistics of a 250k Chevy? Market economy again here...

3. so far, the stock tires are the fastest street legal ones on the ZR1!
German tuner Geiger recently tested Cups, but as they are optimized for the Pcars weight distribution, they do not work well on the Vette.

So the next point, IF someone build a street legal cup tire for the Vette, it MIGHT be as fast, so far it IS NOT!

Last one: PLEASE EXCUSE me for posting so many words in Caps Lock, which is usually not my style of writing, but as I have my experience with reading comprehension on this board, I just tried to make things clear and understandable...

BTW: I love my C5 and will probably never own a Porsche, but I am "car guy enough" to identify a fine piece of engineering when I see it, no matter who did it!

Best, Bernd
Old 05-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Hotmetal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leonie
1. this thing IS worth the 250k, because people WILL BUY ALL 500 ones for that price (or even more), it is called market economy!

2. PERHAPS Corvette (Chevy) COULD build a 250k Vette that WOULD beat this Porsche in all out performance and even had a nicer interior, but (at least until now) they DON´T, because - maybe - they are afraid of the sales statistics of a 250k Chevy? Market economy again here...

Best, Bernd
100%. Who would pay $250k for a Chevy? Not me!

Actually, I would not be surprised that all 500 Porsches are already reserved.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hotmetal

Do you not think you would get your money's worth? Do you feel you paid too much for your ZR1?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
4-Sho
No Guts - No Glory
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hotmetal

If I was in the market for a $250K sports car and Chevy made one that stomps on all the competition I would buy it. Why not? If GM was able to pull out all the stops on a super high dollar sports car I honestly think Ferrari, Porsche, and Lambo would get embarrased. GM has already proven they can match or beat the performance of exotics at less than half the price. If GM was going to match the price, they could have all the fancy high dollar interior materials and improved fit and finish as well. Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo aren't the only ones that can build supercars... thing is they don't have to produce millions lesser vehicles for the masses so all their resources are directed at high dollar vehicles.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
If I was in the market for a $250K sports car and Chevy made one that stomps on all the competition I would buy it. Why not? If GM was able to pull out all the stops on a super high dollar sports car I honestly think Ferrari, Porsche, and Lambo would get embarrased. GM has already proven they can match or beat the performance of exotics at less than half the price. If GM was going to match the price, they could have all the fancy high dollar interior materials and improved fit and finish as well. Porsche, Ferrari, and Lambo aren't the only ones that can build supercars... thing is they don't have to produce millions lesser vehicles for the masses so all their resources are directed at high dollar vehicles.
A $250K Chevy would beat the Veyron in top speed (and possibly even bend gravitational fields ).
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thebrander
A $250K Chevy would beat the Veyron in top speed (and possibly even bend gravitational fields ).
So why don't they? It should be easy enough, right? Veyron-beating performance at less than 1/4 the price. Win-win.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:29 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guibo
So why don't they? It should be easy enough, right? Veyron-beating performance at less than 1/4 the price. Win-win.
That's why I'm posting Guibo. Now they know we want one!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

...and very few would buy it...not that they'd ever build it though.

Ultra-prestige AND ultra-speed. That's the true top end market.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Because GM is not in the same business as Porsche. It's a general car company vs more of a niche car maker. GM needs to focus on building great small and mid size cars to supplement the R&D of the Vette. Does selling a $250k+ Chevy really help that goal? I doubt it. On the other hand, Porsche has to stay ahead of the best from GM and compete with Ferrari and other high end manufacturers because the brand is based on performance.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thebrander
That's why I'm posting Guibo. Now they know we want one!!!
I think the Cien would have been a great candidate for this kind of car, yet sadly GM never pulled the trigger.
Aren't Lingenfelter's Twin-Turbo Corvettes just about as fast? How many of those have LPE sold?
Veyron production is said to be around 300 before taking into account the 150 or so Grand Sport versions. Even still, it's been said that VW have taken a bath on the Veyron project and are looking at the Galibier to share components to help pay for the massive R&D costs of the Veyron.

Get notified of new replies

To Looks like there is a new ZR1&Viper killer on the loose

Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

I think the Cien would have been a great candidate for this kind of car, yet sadly GM never pulled the trigger.
Aren't Lingenfelter's Twin-Turbo Corvettes just about as fast? How many of those have LPE sold?
Veyron production is said to be around 300 before taking into account the 150 or so Grand Sport versions. Even still, it's been said that VW have taken a bath on the Veyron project and are looking at the Galibier to share components to help pay for the massive R&D costs of the Veyron.
I forget which interview I listened to recently where a GM affiliate was talking about a special version of the C8 going after the ultra-high performance exotic cars. It would sell. I'm sure when the first talks of a $100K+ Corvette started, many people swore up and down they would not sell.

Tell you what, given the C8's probably won't hit for another 10 years, I PROMISE I WILL BUY A $250K VERSION IF THEY OFFER ONE. Now... who's with me?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

BTW,

The GT2 RS is further proof that AWD is NOT the answer right now. It's more horsepower and less weight. A much lighter RWD C7 will be more than capable of hanging with the best if not dominating once again for a little while.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:05 PM
yellerz51
Pro

Originally Posted by 4-Sho
Do you think Porsche can design a car that has a $120K MSRP and can beat a ZR1 in any race?
Add AWD and a PDK trans to the ZR1 and it would cost nearly the same price as a 997TT. You pay more for the 911TT and you get more.

If you factor in the fact that you can drive a 997TT every day it's clearly as good of a deal as the ZR1.. Possibly better.

BTW.. The Turbo PDK will hang with the ZR1 in a roll on race. The ZR1 has no chance from a DIG.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Looks like there is a new ZR1&Viper killer on the loose