Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 02:52 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

OP~ Excellent post and pics! If you could take a macro pic of the valve stem ends, I'd like to see the wear they have. (Any "mushrooming?") Also, it surprises me that GM didn't spec the rocker faces to be machined. Maybe a cost issue? Me, being a tribologist, I see some problems with the rocker faces also, but will refrain from further comment until more examination has occurred.

2 piece exhaust valve stems will retain more heat locally, causing oil to varnish and reduce it's lubricating properties. This, (along with the side loaded, offset rockers) is likely a contributing factor to the valve guides becoming "bell mouthed." Once the guides are bellmouthed, the valve will not hit it's seat squarely, causing a "bending" type motion. Over many oscillations, failure is eminant.

I'd like to see the rocker faces (step) in an optical comparator...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
SlayerRX8
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts

Subscribed. Looking for more information about your situation, and hopefully some experts will chime in about aftermarket solutions.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by ysb02
They shop until they find one that will give them favorable results.
Like in this case a bill for a new LS-7 & shiester fees? Great value.

A PE's license is his reputation, or at least it used to be before the Y2K 'PayGo' era. GM must've paid him well.

Seems GM's trying to bring back the good ol' fashioned cronism of the Roger Smith years. They're suceeding. GM's not more careful & pretty soon legal bills will outpace their UAW pension costs.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:34 PM
jstahl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I read the same thing.

From what I am able to gather, seems like you're right.

Settling doesn't mean that they are admitting to any wrongdoing, or fault.

He mentions in his prior thread that he was planning on using the small claims court system in his area which he stated has a maximum claim of $20,000.

When you figure that the MSRP on an LS7 is around 14K for us, and less than that for GM, then it made more sense for them to settle than to drag it out. Defending themselves, might end up costing them more. It's a little like totaling a car. Once you reach a repair estimate approaching a given percentage of the value of the car, it makes more sense for the insurance company to just total it.

Also, I have seen where usually a settlement includes an agreement not to discuss the case or the terms of the settlement, so it will be interesting to see just what the original poster can and does say in the second part of his post.

While I am NO engineer, I can say this.....when I bought my 'Z it was a few first's for me:

1) First time I have ever spent $75K PLUS on a vehicle....
2) First time I have purchased a new vehicle (have had numerous NEW GM vheicles-and ONLY new GM at that) and during the drive home from dealership be cruising along and listen "tick, tick, tick"......my 'Z had (5) miles on it when I got in it first time and tick tick started around 40-50 miles during drive home from dealership....noting it was VERY hot weather.

It has tick/tick ever since. Like airbus pilot stated, I have the container to do oil sample at next (second) oil change. Coming soon. My 'Z just turned 7400 miles. Using m 5-30 as what is on oil cap.

Every thread I have read all has pointed to the valve guides.....

Some of you smart guys out there, please, put your heads together and figure out what causes the guides to wear.....then let me know.....

PLEASE!!

I STILL love my 'Z.....but I sure would like to know what's up.....

To OP....so sorry that you (both) 1) had to deal with this issue and 2) had to go to the length you had to in order to get satisfaction.

It's a shame. These are really neat cars, but, at least IMO, should NOT have this sort of problem. I wish some of the engineers at GM would sit down and look at what's up and fix whatever it is that needs fix'in.

Anxiously awaiting part 2!!!! (Made me think of egash's issue few weeks back)

Last edited by tim414; 06-22-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 PM
CivEngineer
Advanced

Thanks for the very descriptive post, and I'm looking forward to hearing the 2nd part.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Like in this case a bill for a new LS-7 & shiester fees? Great value.

GM's not more careful & pretty soon legal bills will outpace their UAW pension costs.
They choose the cheapest option in this case. No court decision gives no precedent for later cases and helps keep them out of a possible costly class action lawsuit. It's a smart move on their behalf.

With this decision GM eats the cost of a LS7 (probably costs them $3-4k to make one) plus the service tech fees for swapping a motor. Probably <$10k. We paid that for a day's worth of lawyer's fees in a patent lawsuit.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Would really like to know what to replace in my motor to prevent this issue and similar issues involving irregular valve guide wear.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 PM
naradz06
Instructor

Can I have my valves and guides inspected to see if I'm in danger? Would the action to be replacing as Vito.A suggested?

Having a cammed Z putting down 550, I'm a little worried about dropping a valve and I'd like to do the prudent thing and stay on top of this.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
Some of the findings might be of interest to members of this forum. However, I have noticed in the last 20 months that there is a small group of individuals on this forum who like to mock the original posters when threads on blown engines appear. Accusations from missing shifts (I was accused of that), running engine low on oil (I was accused of that too), to being trolls (yes, I am finally posting photos for the first time on this forum) are only some of the examples. If you are one of those individuals, I suggest you skip this thread because I will have nothing nice to say about GM for the balance, and part 2, of my post. So you have been warned.
Congratulations on your success. Thanks on behalf all the others whose engine blew and were then accussed of being a moron after reporting it on this forum.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I just had my heads done by WCCH. My car has 25k, was bone stock, and hasn't been tracked. Valve guides had excessive wear. New bronze valve guides and SS exhaust valves were installed. Valve guide wear is a real concern and needs to be addressed by GM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:13 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by naradz06
Can I have my valves and guides inspected to see if I'm in danger? Would the action to be replacing as Vito.A suggested?

Having a cammed Z putting down 550, I'm a little worried about dropping a valve and I'd like to do the prudent thing and stay on top of this.
Originally Posted by LOUFY
I just had my heads done by WCCH. My car has 25k, was bone stock, and hasn't been tracked. Valve guides had excessive wear. New bronze valve guides and SS exhaust valves were installed. Valve guide wear is a real concern and needs to be addressed by GM.
Seems like replacing valve guides and maybe the stems is the way to go. Anyone have any idea on what the cost of this might be? I'm sure it's $$$

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 06-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM
vray
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jstahl
Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 PM
naradz06
Instructor

Are there some production dates that are more at risk than others?
Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by LOUFY
Did you notice whether or not your rocker arms had the unfinished edge like the pictures in this thread? What year is your car?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by Rock36
Subscribing:

One question though. What is your estimate on the durability of the sodium exhaust valve independent from the accelerated valve guide wear and improper tolerances?

By itself, I don't believe the sodium exhaust valve has any issues. If the guide held up, the valve should have lasted a lot longer than the 11,000 miles I got out of my broken engine. However, the issue is a lot more complicated than that. I believe the size of the valve is too large for the heat path it provides for a high output enigne like the LS7, even in stock form. I will talk about that a bit more when I continue with my original post.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:09 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
My question is, will an oil analysis catch this? I'd think higher than normal iron particles should show up if the guides are wearing that heavily.

I'm about to have my 2nd oil analysis done at 21k miles. The first at 11k miles was perfect.
Not really, since the wear is not taking place within the enclosed oil circulation loop. The wear mainly takes place below the valve stem oil seal. The open end of the valve guide goes into the exhaust port and leaves the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....

Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by Landru

What surpises me is how Chevrolet's "independent" PE could so woefully misdiagnose what seems so obvious to even an untrained eye. And while I've nothing but respect for PEs of any discipline? Know all-too-well what one has to achieve in order to attain a 'PE' rating & the stamp? I'm now really wondering exactly WTH this PE saw justifying his report? That guy needs to retake the PE exam.

Thank you for your kind words regarding respect for professional engineers. I am ashame that this particular individual belongs to the same P.Eng association I am registered with.

His report contains multiple major mistakes and I was really looking forward to cross examine him on the stand. His report is the only investigation report GM has on my engine. I repeatly asked for a qualified GM powertrain engineer to look at my engine, but that never happened.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:32 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Excellent post, I've been wondering about this the last couple weeks myself. stock 06 with 7500 miles on it, but im a poor schmo that cant afford to grenade an LS7. Looking forward to more details if we can get them.

In the other post you mentioned roller rockers would pretty much negate this issue, was that correct? Are any available as a direct stock replacement?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 PM
hoefi
Racer

Originally Posted by ZZMike
I am not sure I follow, the rockers shown are intake rockers, correct? Also, the exhaust valves do not use lash caps. I am sure I am missing something, can you expound further?
No, the rockers shown on all the photos are exhaust units. They have a sloping side because of the off set. All the valve stem ends have lash caps.

The following photo has an intake rocker on the left and the right one is exhaust. Note the difference in the tips. This particular exhaust rocker on the right has a wear pattern that straddles over the step. It doesn't show up that well with the flash photography. Why GM doesn't ground the whole width of the tip is a mystery.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by hoefi; 06-23-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Took GM to court over dropped valve, and....