Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] side skirt install

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM
strawboss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default side skirt install

has anyone installed skirts and used a double faced tape to secure them as an alternative to using the screws? i am finding it hard to a take a drill to my new car
Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Good luck with the tape! GM tried tape on several cars and went to pop rivets. That is the best way to install them in my opinion.

Jim
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 AM
lgsdds
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by strawboss
has anyone installed skirts and used a double faced tape to secure them as an alternative to using the screws? i am finding it hard to a take a drill to my new car
Yes, in fact I have. I used the rear mud flap mounting spots as per spec and the front screw spots as per spec plus one rivet in the front under the body as per spec, but the sides are being held on by double sided tape. I don't track the car or drive at extremely high speeds for any length of time, and have had no issues with it all. Now that it is 'warmer', the adhesion has increased even more and the installation is over a year and a half old. The 'proper' way is to use the rivets, but I had trouble(mentally) putting all those holes in the rocker panel.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 PM
seung012
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drill it, safest and you won't regret... double side can let go and dropping and running over them can cause some small to serious damage to your car.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 407 Likes on 301 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Painrace
Good luck with the tape! GM tried tape on several cars and went to pop rivets. That is the best way to install them in my opinion.

Jim
Exactly...tape is fine for moldings, trim, and decals but if it is going to make any kind of downforce it needs to be mounted to the car securely...more so than tape. Now there are some good aircraft adhesives that would work, but if you ever took it off the car it would probably take part of the rocker panel with it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:18 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Takes about 1.5 hrs to install using a 3/16" drill, some pop rivets and a manual rivet gun. I originally used the screws supplied but they would fall out and the skirt didn't feel firmly in place. I replaced them with pop rivets a few days ago. Man! They're on there nice and strong.

Get notified of new replies

To side skirt install

Quick Reply: [Z06] side skirt install