Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Pontiaker
I thought most of the time the Ti valves were holding up ok but the hollow sodium filled exhaust valves were the ones that were breaking. So much has been discussed about this its hard to keep track now, what valves failed the most.
Its the stock LS7 exhaust valves (which are sodium filled) which are breaking off and dropping in many of the failures.

Got that confused with the Titanium rods been a long week!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I have read about some other valve guide material, was it inconel? Cant remember off the top of my head but it was something high tech sounding, lol.

There is a shop in LA where my buddies dad works, they make very high end valve guides for racing, etc. He is also a Vette owner and I am supposed to call him to get the rundown on what they are using for the LS7. I will post what I find out from him.

Even on hot days I never see oil temps over about 235 on the track and I run the **** out of it there.
So you are running a C6 LS7 Z06 and your oil temps on the track haven't exceeded 235 on the track on a regular basis??
WOW!! Stock cooling?? Amazing!!

ErnieO
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I have read about some other valve guide material, was it inconel? Cant remember off the top of my head but it was something high tech sounding, lol.

There is a shop in LA where my buddies dad works, they make very high end valve guides for racing, etc. He is also a Vette owner and I am supposed to call him to get the rundown on what they are using for the LS7. I will post what I find out from him.

Even on hot days I never see oil temps over about 235 on the track and I run the **** out of it there.
How can your oil temps only be 235* Matt ??

DH
Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Inconel, it's a registered trademark name. It's an austenitic nickel-chromium based alloy. Usually they are used for valves (exh valve) in very high combustion chamber temps such as turbocharged engine. If I recall correctly, most piston engines for airplanes uses an inconel valve. I know it is used for turbine blades as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 AM
NospdLimit
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
- on the old school small block and big block carbed motors. However most of them were only pushing at most 300 rwhp and that was a very hot factory muscle car.

. If you were getting an old school carbed motor up in the 450 to 600 rwhp range they were pretty radical , letting loose & punching rods through the side of the block quite frequently- let alone they were hardly streetable and you could not take them on long road trips like the OP did with his 581 rwhp Z.

It would be interesting to compare the failure rates of a carbed LS motors compared to electronically controlled fuel injected ls motors. I doubt if there is enough of a representation of carbed LS motors out there.

The OP has a good attitude about it. If my LS7 blew I would probably go with the 454 LSx motor upgraded heads and forged internals. I would shoot for 550 rwhp. I would not care about the extra weight up front.
Yeah, I worked for a guy who had a 67 427 Corvette; he raced it back in the 80s, he pulled the engine and went through it replacing valve guides, bearings, rings, pistons and whatever else was worn every winter.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:05 AM
67redrat
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Inconel, it's a registered trademark name. It's an austenitic nickel-chromium based alloy. Usually they are used for valves (exh valve) in very high combustion chamber temps such as turbocharged engine. If I recall correctly, most piston engines for airplanes uses an inconel valve. I know it is used for turbine blades as well.
Sorry couldn't help it but I had to response to this. G/A piston airplanes yes they use nickle valves a mother to cut, turbine blades are titanium. Just finished a blending class for P/W, airbus, G/E, and cfm. Titanium is strong, but actually soft cuts easy, but will withstand high temps. Which after the class I could see the ease of these valves breaking. Good class!

Last edited by 67redrat; 11-13-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
hotrodlouie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe a later ride

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
So you are running a C6 LS7 Z06 and your oil temps on the track haven't exceeded 235 on the track on a regular basis??
WOW!! Stock cooling?? Amazing!!

ErnieO
I checked his sig, but he didn't list the year of his ride (I don't either, I run a 2004 looking to upgrade soon).

The 2010/2011/2012 Z06 have the ZR1 oil cooler which uses coolent from the engine to keep the oil cool (they did it because the oil temps on C6 Z's never get warm) and they run at coolent tempature once warm even on the track according to those that own them. I have pestered my contacts at GM to see if this is as easy to do to a pre-2010 car as it looks and they look at me like I'm an idiot for not just buying a new one.

Also, my 2004 runs at 250 on the track with an aftermarket cooler, but if I just go out for 5-10 laps at a time at 9/10's, it will stay at under 240 all day.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:45 PM
carlsbad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, it seems like once a week a LS7 is dying, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE LS7!?
Old 11-13-2011, 11:46 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 585 Likes on 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by carlsbad
Damn, it seems like once a week a LS7 is dying, WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE LS7!?
Let's not get carried away here and make things out to be worst than they really are, as the original poster in this thread engine blew at least 3 months ago.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 11-13-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
I have no idea but my car just does not run hot even when driving the **** out of it on the track. I always run the DIC with the oil temps showing. My car is an 07, no cooling mods.

My buddy in town I race with has a 06 Z, he probably does not run as hard as I do, only been running the trak for a few years, has the same temps as I do, we just thought this was normal.
Matt
Old 11-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Originally Posted by hotrodlouie
I checked his sig, but he didn't list the year of his ride (I don't either, I run a 2004 looking to upgrade soon).

The 2010/2011/2012 Z06 have the ZR1 oil cooler which uses coolent from the engine to keep the oil cool (they did it because the oil temps on C6 Z's never get warm) and they run at coolent tempature once warm even on the track according to those that own them. I have pestered my contacts at GM to see if this is as easy to do to a pre-2010 car as it looks and they look at me like I'm an idiot for not just buying a new one.

Also, my 2004 runs at 250 on the track with an aftermarket cooler, but if I just go out for 5-10 laps at a time at 9/10's, it will stay at under 240 all day.
I just could not afford a new one at the time so I got a used 07 with 24k miles and some mods for $40k. Then third gear went out on my tranny so I installed a newer T6060 trans in it myself. The new tranny cost me $2900 shipped. The seller actually paid for a good chunk on the new tranny too.

It doesnt really matter what year you get, its happening to all of them.

My car has a pretty big cam in it with long tube headers. It had a valve spring upgrade and Ti retainers when they did the cam. Also long tube headers and high flow cats. Its runs very strong.

I was heading to the drag strip to run the car and when I got on the freeway it started missing. Turned around and came back home, pulled the valve covers and found a broken spring. Was not a big problem since I have double spring and only one broke.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Pontiaker
Drifting

DH
My car has 36k miles on it now, maybe the cars that are holding together longer are the cars that are running cooler for whatever reason.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

I have no idea but my car just does not run hot even when driving the **** out of it on the track. I always run the DIC with the oil temps showing. My car is an 07, no cooling mods.

My buddy in town I race with has a 06 Z, he probably does not run as hard as I do, only been running the trak for a few years, has the same temps as I do, we just thought this was normal.
Matt
Matt

You bought it used. Maybe it has larger radiator and oil coolers. Believe me nobody runs 235* oil at the track even on a cold day. What is your coolant temp?

DH
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just could not afford a new one at the time so I got a used 07 with 24k miles and some mods for $40k. Then third gear went out on my tranny so I installed a newer T6060 trans in it myself. The new tranny cost me $2900 shipped. The seller actually paid for a good chunk on the new tranny too.

It doesnt really matter what year you get, its happening to all of them.

My car has a pretty big cam in it with long tube headers. It had a valve spring upgrade and Ti retainers when they did the cam. Also long tube headers and high flow cats. Its runs very strong.

I was heading to the drag strip to run the car and when I got on the freeway it started missing. Turned around and came back home, pulled the valve covers and found a broken spring. Was not a big problem since I have double spring and only one broke.
OK, way off topic, but this reminded me of my 2nd Vette, a used 61 and I used to carry spare valve springs and the tool to change them with me. Changed more than one by the side of the road.
Times sure have changed, sometimes actually for the better!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 AM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Matt

You bought it used. Maybe it has larger radiator and oil coolers. Believe me nobody runs 235* oil at the track even on a cold day. What is your coolant temp?

DH

DH, I agree. I don't know what the drag race guys are seeing but I have never been under 275 oil temp after lap 2. I never rev the car over 3K until the oils at 125-139, which doesn't take long, and I don't leave until the oils at 90 100 degrees.

I originaly thought that 275 290 were really high temps for a car that was designed to be on track as part of the base design but after my first 2 track days and asking people I found out this was the norm. I added the Setrab oil cooler, It is about 15" x 12". (the big one) with the Canton oil filter to increase flow and get some margin for VIR, Road Atlanta and the Florida track, Palm Bch, Homestead and Sebring. I was seeing 290 295 and had to really get more conservative in order to stay at those temps on the hot August days.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Pontiaker
Drifting

Matt

DH
I was a mechanic for 20 years, have been inside and out of my car, the cooling system is stock.Did the tranny install myself, built my last two C6 cars and my C5.Had the fastest bolt on car with my black C6 at the GM VS Ford shootout few years back. Mel's blue 06 is mostly stock except air filter and tune. When I did the air filter install a couple months back I was all around the Rad and front of the car, all stock.

Are you guys working on your cars yourself? Some of you guys need to spend more time at the track and under the car instead of the forums. Some cars run cooler, others hotter, etc...Dont know why thats so hard to believe

Is there still a camp of believers out there that think nothing is wrong with the LS7? Sounds like GM is finally trying to figure it out, cant wait to hear the outcome, for now people are getting engines replaced alot easier. Wonder if they are going to come out with a fix before the grenade.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 392 Likes on 246 Posts

Is there still a camp of believers out there that think nothing is wrong with the LS7? Sounds like GM is finally trying to figure it out, cant wait to hear the outcome, for now people are getting engines replaced alot easier. Wonder if they are going to come out with a fix before the grenade.
I doubt GM will ever come out with a statement regarding the "LS7 life."
Have you ever heard of GM (or any large corp) admitting to anything in public?

For instance~

The DOD still denies agent orange is harmful, as the men that got "dusted" kick off like flies because of respiratory issues....

Get notified of new replies

To Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea

Old 11-14-2011, 02:41 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

I was a mechanic for 20 years, have been inside and out of my car, the cooling system is stock.Did the tranny install myself, built my last two C6 cars and my C5.Had the fastest bolt on car with my black C6 at the GM VS Ford shootout few years back. Mel's blue 06 is mostly stock except air filter and tune. When I did the air filter install a couple months back I was all around the Rad and front of the car, all stock.

Are you guys working on your cars yourself? Some of you guys need to spend more time at the track and under the car instead of the forums. Some cars run cooler, others hotter, etc...Dont know why thats so hard to believe

Hi Matt,

I don't drag race I do road race, and I think that's the difference here. We are doing 10-20 laps all out so I think the heat would be different. I have a modified from radiator and now have a much larger cooler than the stock front cooler. Most stock oil cooler cars and drivers I have met over the last 5 years have all been around the 270 290 mark when they're on heavy laps running all out.

ErnieO
Old 11-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Matt

I believe your car has stock cooling if you have checked it out. Just figured it was a possibility since you bought it used.

You know I have lots of track time and have talked to many Z06 drivers. You are the only one running that cool. Even the guys with bigger coolers are not running that cool.

So I figure the only other explanation is that you are a BIG FAT SLOW TURD on the track and run around in 5th gear. If you don't think so then show up at ACS on saturday

DH
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VRedZ06
Hi Matt,

I don't drag race I do road race, and I think that's the difference here. We are doing 10-20 laps all out so I think the heat would be different. I have a modified from radiator and now have a much larger cooler than the stock front cooler. Most stock oil cooler cars and drivers I have met over the last 5 years have all been around the 270 290 mark when they're on heavy laps running all out.

ErnieO
Ernie

I assumed Matt was talking about road racing. I have been on the track with him before.

Sorry if I asked this already. Do you have oil temps for your new cooler setup. Bet you would be very suprised if you could get 235*

DH

Quick Reply: [Z06] Well 46K miles 28 track events and 3 cross country rallies and my LS7 died a hard dea