Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Sold my C6ZR - Where the market REALLY sits on these cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 10:22 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
I actually just took a look at what's for sale across the nation, and I think the value of mine went UP since I bought it. All of the low mile examples are low to mid 60s now with some priced into the 70s. I don't see how it can last, though. I think it's a side effect of the production slowdown due to COVID crap. There are a couple of private party sellers in the low 50s, though.

agree with this. C6 Zr1 values have gone up in the last couple months 5-10k. Z06 values seem to have gone up as well.
The following users liked this post:
Donzo7 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 11:06 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,757 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
agree with this. C6 Zr1 values have gone up in the last couple months 5-10k. Z06 values seem to have gone up as well.
It might also have something to do with the fact that you can't touch a C8 in the secondary market for less than $100K. There are dozens of used examples out there now, and they are anywhere from $100-120K. That's crazy!
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by EViL427
It might also have something to do with the fact that you can't touch a C8 in the secondary market for less than $100K. There are dozens of used examples out there now, and they are anywhere from $100-120K. That's crazy!

very true!
Old 08-06-2020, 07:53 AM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Donzo7
You might as well sell it. You dont drive it😀😃😄😁😆😅🤣😂
Its that part of life where I have six cars for four drivers and they all paid off. I usually just grab the last car in my driveway lol

I promised myself Id drive it this weekend, but today I want to go look at SeaDoo's at Barney's in St. Pete, and Ill take the Corvette for the drive.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (08-15-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Donzo7
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Wow!! It's good to be you Phil. I'm most likely the poorest ZR1 owner on the planet😁😆😅🤣 Hey Phil what did you do to Joe over at Powertech Performance?
Old 08-06-2020, 01:56 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Hey Phil what did you do to Joe over at Powertech Performance?
As a person, I really like Joe. He's fun to talk with, but its been a couple years since he called me with questions.

Anymore than that, it will cost you beers and wings. not an internet conversation lol.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:17 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 264 Posts

Why have a toy that you dont play with 🤔
Play or pay? who said I don't play? I typed about no 'payments' is best on toys.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:49 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette
Its that part of life where I have six cars for four drivers and they all paid off. I usually just grab the last car in my driveway lol

I promised myself Id drive it this weekend, but today I want to go look at SeaDoo's at Barney's in St. Pete, and Ill take the Corvette for the drive.
Sea Doo's are a whole other level of fun.... Post pics!!!
Old 08-20-2020, 07:28 AM
uhohspaghettio
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

This has been happening to almost all cars during the pandemic. Dealers have been overpaying at auction just to have inventory, and make their money through financing. The issue is the benefit checks have stopped so we'll see what happens

Last edited by uhohspaghettio; 08-20-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:35 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 797 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by uhohspaghettio
This has been happening to almost all cars during the pandemic. Dealers have been overpaying at auction just to have inventory, and make their money through financing. The issue is the benefit checks have stopped so we'll see what happens

Great handle, very original.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:23 AM
uhohspaghettio
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
Great handle, very original.
This isn't some sort of secret or opinion. Market day supply is low, so dealers are paying almost full retail just to have inventory.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 797 Likes on 540 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:25 PM
c05v3tt3
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by uhohspaghettio
This isn't some sort of secret or opinion. Market day supply is low, so dealers are paying almost full retail just to have inventory.
Yup, it isn't just cars either. I've see the same thing with housing with that last few homes in our neighborhood selling in less than a day and seeing multiple competing bids. My neighbor was also looking to replace his cheap 4 foot above ground pool (18 feet across) he bought from Walmart or Amazon 2 years ago for $600. Checking today for the same pool and you're looking at $2400. It's a sellers market for a number of goods but stinks if you're the buyer.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

So a fun update to make.

Through sheer coincidence, my ZR1 I sold last June went around half the country and ended up back at a high-end dealership here in Columbus a year later with 4K more miles on it.

I sold it for $58K sight unseen by a dealer in California in June 2020. Wired me the money, sent a truck, done deal.

The exact same car, with 4K more miles is now being offered for a mind boggling $88K. Granted, this particular dealer is notorious for hideous price gouging, but still, I'm thinking these cars have appraised more than just a good bit in the last year. Even on a bad day, it's probably work $20K more than it was last June.

Of note, it looks like they never fixed the rotors on my car so i'm sure it still rides like it's on 4 squares

And COME ON...if you're gonna ask SO MUCH over the value of the car, at LEAST clean the friggin brake dust grime off the rotors to make it look like people are getting something for their extra $10K

https://www.toybarncars.com/used/Che...2660a863cc.htm
Old 07-23-2021, 09:26 AM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
Granted, this particular dealer is notorious for hideous price gouging,

Toy Barn is laughable. They told me the trade in on my 996 C4S was $25k and that they would likely market it at $32k retail. I sold my car for $40k within an hour of posting it online.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:34 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarterRuss
Toy Barn is laughable. They told me the trade in on my 996 C4S was $25k and that they would likely market it at $32k retail. I sold my car for $40k within an hour of posting it online.
This is why I figured it was way off. My experiences have been similar with them. They offer you damn near 50% the value of the car and then list at about 125%. My guess is that it'll sell in the mid-$70K range given the prices i'm seeing elsewhere
Old 07-23-2021, 09:39 AM
CarterRuss
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 58 Posts

I've noticed a lot of the niche type dealerships buying up very clean cars at near market value in some case then listing them with professional photos for $10-20k more than they paid. I don't mind it so much as I just wish the people selling to dealerships would post on the forums first so we get first crack

Happened with an IO ZR1 recently. Seller came here first with a $65k ask, I nor no one else seemed to bite quickly, so he sold it to a dealership and they have it online for $75k now.

Get notified of new replies

To Sold my C6ZR - Where the market REALLY sits on these cars

Old 07-26-2021, 07:18 AM
Nitrousbird
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavesacre21
So a fun update to make.

Through sheer coincidence, my ZR1 I sold last June went around half the country and ended up back at a high-end dealership here in Columbus a year later with 4K more miles on it.

I sold it for $58K sight unseen by a dealer in California in June 2020. Wired me the money, sent a truck, done deal.

The exact same car, with 4K more miles is now being offered for a mind boggling $88K. Granted, this particular dealer is notorious for hideous price gouging, but still, I'm thinking these cars have appraised more than just a good bit in the last year. Even on a bad day, it's probably work $20K more than it was last June.

Of note, it looks like they never fixed the rotors on my car so i'm sure it still rides like it's on 4 squares

And COME ON...if you're gonna ask SO MUCH over the value of the car, at LEAST clean the friggin brake dust grime off the rotors to make it look like people are getting something for their extra $10K

As soon as you said high-end dealership in Columbus, I knew it was Toy Barn before even looking at the link (though it's in Dublin, not Columbus). Their prices are typically stupid but occasionally they are reasonable - my wife bought her S4 there and the price was pretty good for it at the time, especially considering the condition, options, and stellar service history on it.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nitrousbird
As soon as you said high-end dealership in Columbus, I knew it was Toy Barn before even looking at the link (though it's in Dublin, not Columbus). Their prices are typically stupid but occasionally they are reasonable - my wife bought her S4 there and the price was pretty good for it at the time, especially considering the condition, options, and stellar service history on it.
Yeah being an international board, anyone outside Ohio likely doesn't know where Dublin is but just about everyone has an idea where Columbus is. I've learned to really generalize the small details around here.

Once in a great while you'll find something on their lot that's "close" to where it should be in price, but from talking to friends that worked there, that's generally because either (A) it's been sitting a long while and they want it moved, or (B) they took it as a trade in and it barely made the cut to sell on their lot vs sending it to auction. The higher the prestige, the more stupid the markup becomes. ZR1's get stupid markup on their badge alone, let alone the condition and/or miles.

It's funny but I swear that anytime the name Toy Barn comes up in a post here, it usually sets off a pretty good tangent on how everyone hates them lol
Old 07-26-2021, 10:08 AM
downhil
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

How much do you think they gave me for it?

Originally Posted by CarterRuss
I've noticed a lot of the niche type dealerships buying up very clean cars at near market value in some case then listing them with professional photos for $10-20k more than they paid. I don't mind it so much as I just wish the people selling to dealerships would post on the forums first so we get first crack

Happened with an IO ZR1 recently. Seller came here first with a $65k ask, I nor no one else seemed to bite quickly, so he sold it to a dealership and they have it online for $75k now.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Sold my C6ZR - Where the market REALLY sits on these cars