C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000HP+ Supercharger vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Limitless100
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Turbo setup no doubt in the 14000-1700rwhp range. Find a good shop if not spending the time doing your R&D.
Is that you recommending the turbo for my given goals I stated? 1400-1700 range.

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
That depends. I will say the most enjoyment out of the car so far was when it was making ~800rw with the stock engine and a TTiX kit with the smaller 57mm turbos. The car ran low 10s and high 9s effortlessly at the drag strip and had no problem beating liter bikes and busas on the highway.

I feel like 57's on c6z are so small, most mustang guys with a 4.6 or 5.0 run 57's. I guess that's what you need to accept when using a kit and not custom fabing it.

From there I went to a 427 but kept the turbo kit and used what they claimed were the right turbos for 1200hp. I'll go on record and state that twin 6265s with a T3 0.82 A/R 5 bolt housings are absolutely the wrong combination for a 427 looking to make 1200rwhp.

The car with over 1000rwhp was even more fun and went faster but the reliability was not there. Some of the problems were my fault but others were due to misrepresentation from vendors.

What was the issue with the turbos and your 427 build?

I’m in the middle of fabricating my own turbo kit and correcting the things that I didn’t like with the previous turbo kit when pushing for +1000rwhp. For me, the question still remains on whether the corvette is the right car for big power. It looks right and drives right. They are very aerodynamic and I like the way it feels when behind the wheel. It’s a little heavier than I would prefer but still much lighter than other cars and it has a full frame. I’ve got 1800hp worth of turbos this go round and almost zero restriction with the new system. It think reliability is achievable but it takes a lot more focus and $$$ to get it all right.

Damn, that sounds like a monster of a build, will have to check if you have a build thread or anything going. Any idea what power target you are aiming for? Also, with all that power, are you going auto?

Interesting. I just visited A&A’s website and didn’t see a listing for an F1X kit. The largest head unit available for selection was the YSI. I guess you have to call them to place the order for the off the shelf 1400hp kit?

You control boost on a centri car by placing one or more wastegates on the charge pipe and using a boost controller. To make low boost you are basically spinning the supercharger at a higher rpm but venting all of the compressed air to the atmosphere. During normal driving conditions at low speeds, the car sounds like a giant street sweeper or vacuum cleaner. If the wastegates are post intercooler, you are basically pumping lots of hot compressed air through the intercooler to cool it off but then venting it to atmosphere without using it. This increases the heat load the intercooler has to manage. To me, these are the two main drawbacks of the supercharger system for a car looking to make +1000hp. Of course, someone could argue that I will have to deal with side exit exhaust and open wastegates on my current build. Maybe so, but I’m not using an extra 200hp to spin the blower and constantly venting off hot air. There are pros and cons to each setup.
I personally don't see side exit exhausts a drawback at all, assuming you don't mind a loud car. Very true, I mentioned earlier in this thread or my other thread, there are pros and cons to a lot of choices in high HP applications. This specific example was regarding 6 speed vs auto. With the 6 speed you get better street/cruising manners with the overdrive and lower RPM's, along with the "fun" of going through gears, but it comes with a far less efficient setup and something that won't be as strong. Auto will be faster and more reliable, but will not be as kind on the street and loses the "cool"
factor of shifting.

Originally Posted by g23crawler
Im in the middle of my twin turbo build, like everyone else said space in corvettes suck. I will be retaining all factory equipment like ac and all that. But with the space being so limited the turbos have to be smaller. I think 800 will be max for my setup. Its also more work and most people just want to bolt something on go.
Any idea what size you are going with? It looks like Vengeance racing tucks the turbos under each side of the engine and makes big power, is that not an option for someone doing it themselves? Or is it simply not a good design?
Old 11-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Limitless100

I feel like 57's on c6z are so small, most mustang guys with a 4.6 or 5.0 run 57's. I guess that's what you need to accept when using a kit and not custom fabing it.

A. I agree, I would not choose them for a 427 or for that matter the 6265s if configured with the 0.82 A/R T3 5-bolt housing. It’s all about the goals for the project. Speaking from experience, twin 57mm are perfect for a 5.7L looking for quick spool and high to mid 9 second passes. They were fully spooled to 18 psi within the first 20 feet launching without a 2 step and using a 6 speed manual.

What was the issue with the turbos and your 427 build?

A. With a T4 turbine housing and larger compressor cover, the 6265s would probably still be on the car if a quick spooling 1200hp was the goal. The 0.82 A/R T3 5-bolt housing turbine housing severely limits the output of the 6265s and also creates boost control issues. You are left with a low setting of 18psi and a high setting of 22psi or you can put a 3# spring in there and let it creep to 18psi every time. The issue is that I called the vendor described my engine specs and told them I wanted to make 1200rwhp and asked if the 6265s with the TTiX kit were the correct turbos. They said yes – WRONG answer. You may get there but the backpressure and amount of stress and heat that the engine will experience is not going to make it a reliable choice. I’ve commented on this before. Search around through the past years and you will see a string of lifted heads and destroyed blocks due to shops and vendors advertising that 1200hp and up can be made using small A/R T3 housings and 62mm turbos. Most people don’t want to believe it. I was there. I looked at comparable compressor maps and turbo output ratings and had the word of a reputable vendor. When I put it to the test in the actual real world, the results did not match up. Real world means hard 1/4 mile passes, 1/2 mile runs, repeated 60 to 170 mph pulls on the street and runway not the edited dyno pulls just to make it look good.

Damn, that sounds like a monster of a build, will have to check if you have a build thread or anything going. Any idea what power target you are aiming for? Also, with all that power, are you going auto?

A. Thanks. The build thread is here if you would like to check it out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...le-tt-kit.html

If it makes an efficient 1400rw, I’ll be happy. From there, I may or may not turn it up depending on how things go. I’ll just be happy to finally have an 800hp setting again.

I’m sticking with the 6 speed. The currently available auto options cost more than the entire car is worth and I like shifting. Given comparable track times, I’m usually able to hold my own against auto cars as shown below. Manual FTW on the big end.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Too easy of a race?

Watch this drag truck pull a huge red light and still get run down back when the car was a stock engine, stock cam and 57mm turbos. This was with a 305/35/18 MT drag radial.

Old 11-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

If it makes an efficient 1400rw, I’ll be happy. From there, I may or may not turn it up depending on how things go. I’ll just be happy to finally have an 800hp setting again.

I’m sticking with the 6 speed. The currently available auto options cost more than the entire car is worth and I like shifting. Given comparable track times, I’m usually able to hold my own against auto cars as shown below. Manual FTW on the big end.
Thank you for the additional information on turbo sizing provided. Also, that's one of the reasons I want a turbo car, to be able to drop the power when I want to. Would be nice being able to drop it down to 700-800.

The auto conversion for the C5 is crazy expensive like a C6 I assume.
Definitely very impressive videos.

Too easy of a race?

Watch this drag truck pull a huge red light and still get run down back when the car was a stock engine, stock cam and 57mm turbos. This was with a 305/35/18 MT drag radial.

You freight trained him on the top end haha
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Obviously the packaging makes it much easier to go with a supercharger. But has anyone compared how a turbo feels on a Corvette compared to a Centri supercharger? Would the turbo car be much faster because of it getting full boost much earlier? I know in the Mustang/Coyote world turbochargers are much more preferred because of the peaky power-band of the centri coupled with the lack of bottom end torque of the 5.0.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:48 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Originally Posted by MRSUPRA
Obviously the packaging makes it much easier to go with a supercharger. But has anyone compared how a turbo feels on a Corvette compared to a Centri supercharger? Would the turbo car be much faster because of it getting full boost much earlier? I know in the Mustang/Coyote world turbochargers are much more preferred because of the peaky power-band of the centri coupled with the lack of bottom end torque of the 5.0.
Curious about this as well. Although, based on the complaints of traction with corvettes, that early TQ/HP with the turbo may not help much at all. Although, with a turbo you can ramp up the boost and have boost by gear, so the turbo will most likely be better at the end of the day.

Based off of your name, do you own a supra?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:54 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

Curious about this as well. Although, based on the complaints of traction with corvettes, that early TQ/HP with the turbo may not help much at all. Although, with a turbo you can ramp up the boost and have boost by gear, so the turbo will most likely be better at the end of the day.

Based off of your name, do you own a supra?
Yeah, just an older 3rd gen with a built 7M
Old 11-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Yeah, just an older 3rd gen with a built 7M
What kind of power can those hold/what are you currently making?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:24 PM
MRSUPRA
Racer

What kind of power can those hold/what are you currently making?
Not quite as much as a 2JZ, but I know one guy who made 750rwhp for a while on a stock bottom end with a metal head gasket(the 7M's weak link). I make a little over 500rw with a 6262 turbo.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:32 PM
Limitless100
Instructor

Not quite as much as a 2JZ, but I know one guy who made 750rwhp for a while on a stock bottom end with a metal head gasket(the 7M's weak link). I make a little over 500rw with a 6262 turbo.
The 2JZ is incredible, 750 is a lot for a stock setup!

Quick Reply: 1000HP+ Supercharger vs Turbo