C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to change bulb for signal light?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine went out 3 times in 4 weeks
Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I would take it to the dealer and have it done under warranty while I drink a cup of coffee.
Originally Posted by WWK888
Not covered under warranty, considered a wear and tear item.
Did I just hear a Coffee spew... LOL
Old 05-16-2010, 01:57 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 year old thread???
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by WWK888
4 year old thread???
Would you rather he create a new one and get yelled at for that too?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

don't forget the bulb grease
Where do you buy bulb grease? is it to keep corrosion from eating up the metal socket?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I replaced my DRL/signal bulbs with white LED bulbs. The LED units draw very little current so you want damage the sockets by overheating. They should last forever. If you want to keep the amber lights, consider the LED "Switchbacks". When you go to the LED units you will get hyper flashing but installing a 6 ohm 50 watt load resistor in parallel with the LED bulbs will put them back flashing at the normal rate. Some prefer the faster flashing.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 926 Likes on 580 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hey JoesC5:

I'm doing the LED DRL swap this weekend, where did you mount your load resistors?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Hey JoesC5:

I'm doing the LED DRL swap this weekend, where did you mount your load resistors?
I mounted the load resistors in the lower area where the fog lights are. I spliced on 12" long 22 gauge wires to the leads on the resistors so they would be long enough to reach the DRL sockets. Connect the two leads from the load resistor to the two outside leads going to the bulb socket connector. Take a small pair of scissors to trim back the tape wrapped around the leads about an inch or more.

It's a little difficult to locate but there is a slot where you can feed the wires through under the headlight housing. I took a 4" long piece of 3/4" ID heater hose and slit it lengthwise and slipped it over the wire bundle that is above the fog light housing. I then used the nylon tie wraps to secure the load resistors to the heater hose. That way, if you do need to use the emerg flashers for an extended period of time, the load resistors heat won't damage the wire bundle. The LEDs can be installed in both directions. If they don't turn on at first, remove and turn 180 degrees and reinsert to get the polarity right. Plan on removing the front wheels to give you plenty of access to the lower opening.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Good info, thanks!

One more quick question:

Any problem with the resistors vs the plastic tie wraps?

Here's why I ask: The BCM activates the same circuit for DRLs as for turn signals or flashers. That's the "bright" side of the turn signal/parking light/DRL 3157 bulb socket. (on my '09 at least, other C6's similar?) This means in daylight w/ DRLs on the load resistors will be on continuously. Not harmfull to the resistors but they will generate some heat. Anyone know how much? Like a light bulb probably. I'm sure the heater hose will be OK but what about the plastic ties?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:53 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hey JoesC5:

I have LED bulbs and didn't put any resisters in and that was about 4 years ago.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 AM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timd38
I have LED bulbs and didn't put any resisters in and that was about 4 years ago.
And your point is?

BTW, it's spelled "resistors"
Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good info, thanks!

One more quick question:

Any problem with the resistors vs the plastic tie wraps?

Here's why I ask: The BCM activates the same circuit for DRLs as for turn signals or flashers. That's the "bright" side of the turn signal/parking light/DRL 3157 bulb socket. (on my '09 at least, other C6's similar?) This means in daylight w/ DRLs on the load resistors will be on continuously. Not harmfully to the resistors but they will generate some heat. Anyone know how much? Like a light bulb probably. I'm sure the heater hose will be OK but what about the plastic ties?

If you have 'Switchback' LED's and want the white LED's on while driving and the Amber LED's for turn signals, the only way to achieve this look is to use the parking lights (or headlights and/or foglights).

If you run with the DRL's on then the amber LED's will be on and the the circuit in the LED 'lamp' that turns off the white LED's will also be 'on'.

This switch part of the LED 'Switchback' system may fail prematurely and is why some manufacturers warn against running their LED's in DRL mode.

You are correct that if you run this way the load resistors will be on all the time and get very hot. You should use resistors with integral aluminum-finned heat sinks. You can also get an aluminum resistor mounting plate that adds additional cooling surface (check out V-LED's online).

You may want to consider mounting the load resistors in the engine compartment where they can get lots of air. You need to extend the cables and feed them through the existing holes/grommets.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it is an old one.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 11-10-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: How to change bulb for signal light?