C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Cat or not Cat that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 PM
1fastLT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Cat or not Cat that is the question

I have an 08 Z06 that I want to add some headers to, and I'm torn as to which war I should go on the X pipe. The headers will be one of the first steps to my modding plans. I have a Killer Bee and after the headers I plan on a tune then in a year or so it will be a cam, springs, rockers, exhaust, and maybe a port job... The County I live in has never had emissions so that is not a concern.

I'd love to hear the pro's and con's of the catted vs. off-road x pipes, and to the folks that have the off-road pipes do you regret your decision? For those with Cats do you wish you had gone the other way?

Thanks for all input.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:49 PM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

if you want it loud, i say no cats and every ONCE in a while you will get a wiff of fuel but its in rare occasions. i would go catless and free up all the pressure if you have no emissions laws.

Im in cali (the worst for smog) and im blown with headers and catless x-pipe i have the B&B bullets and its LOUD but sounds mean as hell and is mellow when in low RPMS.

I say go Catless
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 PM
1fastLT
Racer

I'm leaning towards Catless, but I wanted some input...
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
dgreer26
Intermediate

Just put kooks headers and cat-less x-pipe on mine two 2 weeks ago. Definatley no complaints here.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM
1fastLT
Racer

I am getting the headers coated, do you think it's worth doing the cats?

For what I will save on getting the cats I could do both and still come out ahead...
Old 04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've done the catless thing on 2 cars... Extremely illegal, easy to spot, car smelled terrible; the exhaust fumes burned my eyes if I had the engine running and had to unload the trunk.
But I had a good reason: I was running a lot of turbo boost and I needed to reduce the backpressure.
On my C6 I decided that catless was NOT worth it. My main deciding factor was noise: Headers are loud, my GHL exhaust is REALLY loud, and to take the cats off and make it all louder would make for a pretty miserable highway ride... I got 1 3/4 JetHot coated Kooks (the coating is very much worth it in my opinion) with a catted X pipe and couldn't be happier. This combo + a CAI was good for 395 at the wheels on an eddy current brake dyno on California 91 octane gas. I find it very hard to believe that catless would have netted any more power.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Think real hard

People are being too gentle here, going catless will be way to loud. It will sound like 60's hotrod with glasspacks. It will be fun for 5 minutes & then reality will hit. This will get increasingly worse as you mod the car. I have 450rwhp from a cammed LS2 w/ headers, cats, 3" x-pipe, 3" back to flowmasters & I'm going to tone it down w/ NPPs or Z06 mufflers w/ a mild to wild swicth. Without cats even the mild to wild won't tone it down. The only justification for this is if this is a race only car, if that's the case, fine, if not, don't save money by bypassing cats, skip the coating. You will not enjoy driving the car for any length of time especially if you want to bring someone along to enjoy it w/ you.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM
ChargedC6
Burning Brakes

i aggree/disagree with the loud statements. its not that loud and it dosnt smell as bad as some make it sound.

I live in the worst place when it comes to smog/cats and all my cars are catless i have no issues if you keep your foot out of the gas the car is mellow but at WOT it sounds like a race car.

Your going to get many many many different opinions so either way you go you will be happy
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I can't stand catless cars, like one of the ops above said the smell is awful to the point that it burns your eyes. It isn't just you it affects its the people behind you (in addition to the environment). Keep the cats.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:01 AM
sacsrpc
Racer

I would say it depends on what your intentions are.

If you are trying to squeeze out every last but of horsepower on your setup go for catless.

For Me - I am throwing the cats back on my 99 turbo FRC for two reasons.

1) I am not after a max power setup and this is my daily driver. With the cats back on I am sure I will still be making enough HP to overpower my street tires.

2) There is a smell tradeoff. Not noticeable when you are moving, but stop the car to unload your golfclubs at the bag drop, get stopped in traffic etc and you will notice the smell. Stand around the car long enough with it running and the smell sticks to you.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM
HoleInOne
Melting Slicks

What is the "smell" everyone is talking about? I always thought the cats were responsable for an odor.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,213 Likes on 699 Posts

Good hi-flow cats should only cost a few HP over straight pipes. Do the right thing and get them.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
I can't stand catless cars, like one of the ops above said the smell is awful to the point that it burns your eyes. It isn't just you it affects its the people behind you (in addition to the environment). Keep the cats.
The effect on the environment is not worth the minimal performance gains.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Smoke20
Instructor

Originally Posted by GMuffley
The effect on the environment is not worth the minimal performance gains.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
o0 zeno 0o
Burning Brakes

It smells horrible.... If your not smelling it, the people around you are. You're not going to get any real gains by not getting them, you'll just be making everyone in a convertible hate you.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not understand why you want a stinky and illegal car that ***might ** have an additional 3 HP over the one with cats.
Guys, it does not matter what your state smog laws are, having no cats is a federal offence, illegal in all 50 states with huge fines that can be imposed. The price of cats is chump change compared to the fines you will pay when you get caught.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HoleInOne
What is the "smell" everyone is talking about? I always thought the cats were responsable for an odor.
The smell is from unburnt hydrocarbons:
Because of the very short timespan combustion takes place in an engine the fuel injected is never combusted completely. The left over gasoline, under the high temperatures present in the combustion chamber, breaks down into smaller hydrocarbon molecules; these then recombine to form all kinds of absolutely nasty chemicals; alkanes, alkenes, dienes, cyclo-alkanes, cyclic hydrocarbons, aldehydes, ketones, etc... That is where the horrible smell comes from.
Incidentally, a lot of those chemicals are also known carcinogens. Catalytic converters aren't required by Federal law because the government wants a chunk of platinum underneath your car.
The platinum honeycomb in the cat, once up to operating temperature, recombines these hydrocarbons with carbon monoxide in the exhaust to produce C02 and water vapor...

Get notified of new replies

To Too Cat or not Cat that is the question

Old 04-25-2008, 11:29 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
Good hi-flow cats should only cost a few HP over straight pipes. Do the right thing and get them.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:38 AM
huckleberrydude
Pro

not on purpose, but I'm catless now because they broke down and clogged and caused a blown head gastket. It may have had something to do with the tune and a combination of heat and boost. I will go back to cats if I can figure out the problem. The smell hasn't bothered me and with the borla touring the sound is plenty bearable. I'll have the electric cutouts on this weekend for when I want noise.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
LsJuan25
Burning Brakes

Whenever someone rode with me and we were sitting still at the light they would cough and get teary eyed go with the Cats catless sucks!

Quick Reply: Too Cat or not Cat that is the question