C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perfomance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM
jsattmann
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfomance Chips

Hello everyone!!!
I am a Newbee to this forum and also to my new 2008 Vette Conv. I'm interested in a performance chip and was wondering if any of you have any advise, recommendations and what performance gains you have realized.
I own a Superformance Cobra replica with a Ford Crate 460, No computers involved!!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Take care,
John
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
slvr76
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you need is a good dyno tune. Most people wait to get this done after they install headers, a cold air intake, ported throttle body or intake, etc... It really depends on what your future plans are for the car. If you never intend to modify it then just go ahead with the dyno tune now. A good tune will increase hp/tq, throttle response, and help reduce factory torque management settings. If your car is an automatic it could also firm up the shifts and change shift points if you want. Congrats on your new car
Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
blkc6z51
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsattmann
Hello everyone!!!
I am a Newbee to this forum and also to my new 2008 Vette Conv. I'm interested in a performance chip and was wondering if any of you have any advise, recommendations and what performance gains you have realized.
I own a Superformance Cobra replica with a Ford Crate 460, No computers involved!!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Take care,
John
C6 has no chip, it's done with a tune. Do a search for tune.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

get some seat time first then do a HPDE
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsattmann
Hello everyone!!!
Take care,
John
Performance chips were hot 15+ years ago when very primitive car computers had non rewritable memory and the only way to get a new tune was by burning a new chip for the ECU. I haven't seen a performance chip in use with any vehicle newer than maybe 1996 when OBD-2 became the new standard. Even then, "chips" were a very poor solution because they represented a tuner's best guess as to what every car with those mods needed; not an actual tune made for the specific car that was being modded.
What you want is a dyno tune. They usually run 550dollars or so depending on the tune and will net you around 30WHP depending on mods, fuel and the specific car being tuned...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slvr76
What you need is a good dyno tune. Most people wait to get this done after they install headers, a cold air intake, ported throttle body or intake, etc... It really depends on what your future plans are for the car. If you never intend to modify it then just go ahead with the dyno tune now. A good tune will increase hp/tq, throttle response, and help reduce factory torque management settings. If your car is an automatic it could also firm up the shifts and change shift points if you want. Congrats on your new car
Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like my chips with Dean's French onion dip!

Like most have stated there's no chip in your vette.

It was touched on, but I'll expand a bit to help answer your question. In stock form there are some gains to be had with a tune. Is it worth it.... probably not. I don't know if you have an auto, that might make it a little more desirable. You can expect some increases in hp and tq, but I really don't think its worth it unless...

1. You are sure you are not going to add more mods later. Then what the heck get a lil nore out of her.

2. You are really trying to squeeze every ounce out and don't mind blowing $500 for 15-25 hp/tq

3. You think the factory tune is way off. I've seen it.

If you plan on getting headers or a CAI as many first modders do, then get it all at the same time ans save your self some trouble.

Welcome. I've got a 427 side oiler around the garage someplace.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 PM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Welcome to the forum
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just so you're not surprised, be aware performance modifications, including tuning, will likely void your entire power-train warranty.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Performance chips were hot 15+ years ago when very primitive car computers had non rewritable memory and the only way to get a new tune was by burning a new chip for the ECU. I haven't seen a performance chip in use with any vehicle newer than maybe 1996 when OBD-2 became the new standard. Even then, "chips" were a very poor solution because they represented a tuner's best guess as to what every car with those mods needed; not an actual tune made for the specific car that was being modded.
........must be a Ford thing.

J/K jsattmann, I almost bought a Cobra replica about 4 years ago. It was dark blue w/white stripes and a 428 Cobra Jet motor. I could have bought it for $18,000. I ended up buying a new truck. What the hell was I thinking.

Originally Posted by AintQik
I like my chips with Dean's French onion dip!
No, no, Liptons French Onion Soup mix stirred in sour cream.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Performance Chips? is that something new from Frito Lay ?

Just kidding

Welcome to the Corvette world.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:09 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Ford Cobra replica with a 460? OMG, are you kidding? That's too much mass for that car. I actually have plans on a Cobra replica in the near future, I love those cars, but the Ford powerplant is not on the menu. I plan on a small block 427 Chevy aluminum engine built by yours truely. Yes, it's true, computer chips are prehistoric.....our Vettes are CPU controlled internally/externally and are programmable with expansion capabilities hard to imagine. Trash what you got and get what's in.

Last edited by HuskerBullet; 01-23-2009 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:06 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

put a Roush 351 in that Cobra replica - Lots of Gitty up
Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,605 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
What you want is a dyno tune. They usually run 550dollars or so depending on the tune and will net you around 30WHP depending on mods, fuel and the specific car being tuned...
Sam does it again!

Get notified of new replies

To Perfomance Chips

Quick Reply: Perfomance Chips