C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle High

Old 01-22-2011, 04:19 PM
juyanith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idle High

I have a modified '07 Z06 that seems to have an issue with idling high. The car has a killer bee intake, torquer 110 cam, kooks headers, no cats and a corsa exhaust. I first take the car out it seems to idle just fine at around 900 RPM however after driving for a bit it likes to idle high, sometimes up to 1400 RPM.

The behavior is that when I'm approaching a stop, I let off the throttle and put the car in neutral, and it idles down to 900 RPM nicely while the car is moving. As I finally come to a complete stop the car will idle up to 1300+ RPM sometimes for a few seconds and then drop down. However, it seems that after driving around town for a while it will idle up and never settle down to 900. After doing this for a while I'll get a CEL (P0507 - Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected).

Now, here's the thing. The car has a locked PCM currently so I can't really get in there to check the idle settings, but it may also be a mechanical issue. I'm guessing that a vacuum leak might be part of the issue, but I'm kind of thown off by the idle jump when coming to a stop. Any thoughts on what I can check mechanically while I'm trying to get the PCM unlocked?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Have you had a ECU re-tune done. If not,,, I suspect that is the primary issue.

BC
Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM
juyanith
Instructor

The car was modified when I bought it but I believe the only change after the tune was the intake. Once I get the PCM unlocked I'll look at the tables and see what's up. I did some checking last night and there are a couple of things that I found. First, the hose clamp that is on the throttle body is not very tight and I can actually turn the intake by hand. It's not going to come off but it's not snug either so I'm going to find another clamp and see if that helps. Second, the U-shaped PCV hose seems loose to me where it connects to the intake manifold. That is, the hose seems like it is stretched open and isn't really making a good seal. I thought about trying to put on a hose clamp but I don't think I could get to it to tighten it down. Is this a known issue or am I just imagining things? I could pull it off again and take a picture but basically it just seems like the inside diameter is a bit too big.

Last edited by juyanith; 01-23-2011 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Any vacuum leak can cause idle issues. Yes, the PCV fitting is a known issue. They dry rot, get soft and fail frequently. Fix all the known air leaks and see if that makes any difference..

BC
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Sounds like an air leak to me and probably after the MAF.

Elmer
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by juyanith
The car was modified when I bought it but I believe the only change after the tune was the intake. Once I get the PCM unlocked I'll look at the tables and see what's up. I did some checking last night and there are a couple of things that I found. First, the hose clamp that is on the throttle body is not very tight and I can actually turn the intake by hand. It's not going to come off but it's not snug either so I'm going to find another clamp and see if that helps. Second, the U-shaped PCV hose seems loose to me where it connects to the intake manifold. That is, the hose seems like it is stretched open and isn't really making a good seal. I thought about trying to put on a hose clamp but I don't think I could get to it to tighten it down. Is this a known issue or am I just imagining things? I could pull it off again and take a picture but basically it just seems like the inside diameter is a bit too big.
The short U-shaped hose going from the valley to the intake manifold is stamped 11/32" . Mine was very tight. Is yours original? Its molded to that shape.

The hard plastic lines for the EVAP system do seem loose, but they usually seal up fine.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
juyanith
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mez
The short U-shaped hose going from the valley to the intake manifold is stamped 11/32" . Mine was very tight. Is yours original? Its molded to that shape.

The hard plastic lines for the EVAP system do seem loose, but they usually seal up fine.
I think the U-shaped hose is original (it is marked as 11/32) but it isn't very tight. The top part that goes into the intake is definitely flared and is a larger diameter than the other end. The whole thing comes off quite easily so I'll just replace it and see if it helps. For now, I've replaced it with about a foot of 3/8 hose.

I also replaced the hose clamp where the intake connects to the throttle body and it's got a nice seal now. I'll just have to see if the symptoms go away.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:40 PM
p.handle
2nd Gear

Default High Idle

Originally Posted by juyanith
I have a modified '07 Z06 that seems to have an issue with idling high. The car has a killer bee intake, torquer 110 cam, kooks headers, no cats and a corsa exhaust. I first take the car out it seems to idle just fine at around 900 RPM however after driving for a bit it likes to idle high, sometimes up to 1400 RPM.

The behavior is that when I'm approaching a stop, I let off the throttle and put the car in neutral, and it idles down to 900 RPM nicely while the car is moving. As I finally come to a complete stop the car will idle up to 1300+ RPM sometimes for a few seconds and then drop down. However, it seems that after driving around town for a while it will idle up and never settle down to 900. After doing this for a while I'll get a CEL (P0507 - Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected).

Now, here's the thing. The car has a locked PCM currently so I can't really get in there to check the idle settings, but it may also be a mechanical issue. I'm guessing that a vacuum leak might be part of the issue, but I'm kind of thown off by the idle jump when coming to a stop. Any thoughts on what I can check mechanically while I'm trying to get the PCM unlocked?
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem. Car ran fine, then I changed the exhaust. I'm currently trying to tune it, but it does't seem to be a tuning issue. And I cant find a vacuum leak.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2023, 01:54 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by p.handle
Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm currently having the same problem. Car ran fine, then I changed the exhaust. I'm currently trying to tune it, but it does't seem to be a tuning issue. And I cant find a vacuum leak.
Thanks
Z06 comes with dual-level vacuum-powered muffler sound modes (RPO code NPP). When your exhaust system was changed over, was the existing vacuum actuation addressed such that the vacuum source wasn't left open to the atmosphere?
Old 02-15-2023, 05:17 PM
p.handle
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
Z06 comes with dual-level vacuum-powered muffler sound modes (RPO code NPP). When your exhaust system was changed over, was the existing vacuum actuation addressed such that the vacuum source wasn't left open to the atmosphere?
Hey that's a good thought. I didn't change the mufflers. Only the headers and x-pipe. But they were knocked around a little bit aligning the new pipes. I will check all that if I get a chance this week.

Thanks for the input.

~p

Get notified of new replies

To Idle High

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Idle High