C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems Continue - 05 C6 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Wow....This has to be the weirdest thing ever. Can you take a picture of where this object was? Like a reenactment?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

When I diagnose a problem, I like to say - it worked yesterday, it doesn't work today, what's changed in that time....that usually leads me to the problem.

Could be worse, I understand surgeons leave metal objects in patients sometimes!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:26 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
When I diagnose a problem, I like to say - it worked yesterday, it doesn't work today, what's changed in that time....that usually leads me to the problem.

Could be worse, I understand surgeons leave metal objects in patients sometimes!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G

Yea,

I am happy the car is running and I am happy to be driving it. I put 300 miles on it in the past couple of days... all problem free driving. But I have to be honest I am afraid to go really far just in case.

What i did do was tighten down the fuse block harness. It wasn't loose but it wasn't tight either. Hoping maybe they messed with this and tightening it will "fix" the problem.

No issues yet... I will just have to keep driving and see.

DG
Old 03-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Toxicscream
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 05 Coupe auto 98000 miles and it had very similar symptoms almost exactly the same. After getting worse and stranding me more and more. I took it to the dealership and they found a bad wire from the computer to the fuse box. So far i have had zero problems, starts everytime and have gained confidence in it starting and no longer think as i push the button(is it going to start). The strangest part of my story is the first post of this thread is the same day that mine failed for the first time. Anyway i believe the fuse box is the culprit. Good luck
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Danspeed1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toxicscream
I have an 05 Coupe auto 98000 miles and it had very similar symptoms almost exactly the same. After getting worse and stranding me more and more. I took it to the dealership and they found a bad wire from the computer to the fuse box. So far i have had zero problems, starts everytime and have gained confidence in it starting and no longer think as i push the button(is it going to start). The strangest part of my story is the first post of this thread is the same day that mine failed for the first time. Anyway i believe the fuse box is the culprit. Good luck
You know what, I have my theories on the fuse box. One of the things I did was tighten up the fuse box bolt. I did 40 miles more today.... no issues yet.

DG
Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
DougB
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just (March 17th) got stranded on the highway with the same issue. Its at the dealer now, We'll see... Hopefully it's as simple as a loose wire.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:56 PM
john05vette
Cruising

Hi Danspeed1....Battery..800 CCA with 120 reserve.....AC Delco size 78 will fit.....If I have any more problems, I' going with the Steering column lock module replacement. I priced the part in Staten Island , N.Y. and it is $240..recently.....Don't know how many hours the dealer charges for the job....I guess we get welcomed to the club......
Old 08-06-2016, 03:20 PM
john05vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by C7&7
It actually is not a recall, I wish it was. You must be thinking of the active handling "clip" install last year sometime. It is just something GM turns their cheek to because they know the steering column lock is a POS and it should have never been put in the 2005 C6. If you go back and research it was removed for the 2006 model year.

OP: Is your car a MN6? When this happens next time I want you to wiggle the steering wheel and see if it is locked. If it's not then the SCL has disengaged (which is a problem). Then pop the hook, with a 10mm socket unhook the positive terminal of the battery and count to 10. Then hook the positive terminal back up and try to start the car. If it fires up, odds are it's the steering column lock.
My steering wheel does not lock when I shut down. Even if I turn the steering wheel to try to engage it. Is this a tip off that it's the Steering column lock module???
Old 08-06-2016, 03:23 PM
john05vette
Cruising

Originally Posted by john05vette
My steering wheel does not lock when I shut down. Even if I turn the steering wheel to try to engage it. Is this a tip off that it's the Steering column lock module???
Based on what U have said, I think that it's my Steering column lock module..................
Old 03-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Darp
5th Gear

Hi Tikiman, I have exact same problem and car, and found this thread. On Battery do not suggest that unnecessary. In a fraction of the time an no cost just jumper cable another running car to it, which is what I did and had zero effect. That eliminates the battery as cause. I have not got to the bottom of this thread, but just like thread starter gauges went dead while driving (kept driving) and has never started since, had to be towed home. The lights inside work, until push starter button they go off and nothing happens, ten secs later the interior lights come back on. So this is a very specific problem and glad found this thread. The other fellow bought a battery and it did him no good as logically it would not if they had jumped it first.

Cheers
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 PM
Darp
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
Its getting warmer here in New York and I want to take the car out of storage, get it fixed and drive it. I put a new battery in the car over the winter. That did not resolve the problem. I got in it today hoping it would start and it did the same thing it always does. So I decided to print out this thread and go post by post and try to find the problem. First thing I did was check the starter cable which looked new, and was not damaged or melted in anyway. Next I began checking all the wires in the engine compartment. I figured it was possible a mouse got in there at some point and chewed a wire up. Engine is clean and there were NO damaged wires under hood. Spent a good half hour checking each harness. Then I got to a post that recommended I check fuses. I found this to be unlikely but I decided to do it anyway. Upon opening the panel on the drivers side kick/fuse panel I realized that I was not the last one in there. The stereo guy had also apparently been in that area. And he left me one of his tools. Apparently he had been using a really strong magnet tool to do something under my dash. When I found the magnet it was laying on top of my fuse box stuck to the metal plate next to my fuses. I pulled the magnet off and hit the start button. The car fired right up. I really don't think this is going to be that easy. I took the car out for a 50 mile ride and shut it and started it about 8 times. Fired up every time... no cluster fail, no MIL. Is it possible this was really causing all of my problems?? Or am i destined to spend more time by the side of the road.

P.S. My stereo is not working for some reason... but I couldn't care less.

DG
OK Dan had a bizarre cause, but having read more some people have had to replace their Steering Column lock like 5 times. It seems the most common cause of these symptoms. Well there is an easy solution to that an "Elinanator" sold here https://www.ebay.com/p/C6-2005-Corve...1607646&chn=ps and video about it here

Am guessing that is my problem, glad someone has come up with simple and cheap solution.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Just have this service done .... I've gotten stuck even with the eliminator installed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598480464

Quick Reply: Problems Continue - 05 C6 No Start