C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishimoto Performance Radiator Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 03:39 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

2006 z51 6mt

Last edited by HC Mechanic; 04-25-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

It's been 7 months and this still isn't ready?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:16 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
Yup these are currently designed to work with the OEM fans, and that's what we've been running with for our testing. We were planning on investigating a new fan shroud as well but decided to stick with the stock fan.

Thanks for the insight! I'll pass that info along to our engineering team!

-Nick
Just a heads up - I BELIEVE manual GS (non vert) are set up exactly the same as the Z06 in terms of the oil/trans/diff coolers being separate from the radiator. They also sold a ton of GS's after they were introduced so you will have a larger market than only Z's.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:44 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
2006 z51 6mt
Originally Posted by Matthewstorm
It's been 7 months and this still isn't ready?
We're actually closer than it seems We just spent the last week testing three different production samples on our loaner Z06, and we should be finalizing designs and kicking off production before you know it.

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
Just a heads up - I BELIEVE manual GS (non vert) are set up exactly the same as the Z06 in terms of the oil/trans/diff coolers being separate from the radiator. They also sold a ton of GS's after they were introduced so you will have a larger market than only Z's.
Thanks for the info! We did some serious digging through the several radiator options, and our engineer is confident that he's got everything figured out, and all will be revealed soon

-Nick
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 02:18 PM
Beef97
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds awesome! I'm in for a GS manual radiator!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:30 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mishimoto
We're actually closer than it seems We just spent the last week testing three different production samples on our loaner Z06, and we should be finalizing designs and kicking off production before you know it.

Thanks for the info! We did some serious digging through the several radiator options, and our engineer is confident that he's got everything figured out, and all will be revealed soon

-Nick
Appreciate the update Nick
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Appreciate the update Nick
Absolutely!

-Nick
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (05-03-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 02:42 PM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Hey Guys!

I'm back again with another update in our C6 radiator development! As always, make sure you head over to the Engineering Blog for the full story!

One would think that after over 50 years of being the pinnacle of American performance some extra thought would have been put into the cooling system. That’s not the American way, though. Automotive radiators have vastly improved since 1953, and when it came time for the C5’s successor, it’s almost as if Chevy was more interested in equipping the largest V8 possible rather than overhauling the cooling system.

Having this wide array of stock radiator options really threw a wrench in the plan to have a one rad to rule them all option. Luckily we were able to find the right radiator that would fit across the board. With the dimensions clear, we were able to fabricate a fitment prototype in order to get us ready for sampling.

Make sure you head over to the blog to see what other improvements we're making to your C6 Radiator!

Also, here's a little taste as to what you can expect from our dyno testing:

-Nick

Last edited by Mishimoto; 05-14-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:52 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Excellent guys

Really looking forward to seeing some back to back data on oil & coolant temps. My n/a 404 could definately use a little help in this department, as we’re now closing in on 700 crank hp.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Your YouTube video link doesn't work.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:20 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Excellent guys

Really looking forward to seeing some back to back data on oil & coolant temps. My n/a 404 could definately use a little help in this department, as we’re now closing in on 700 crank hp.
We're hoping to have the full data for you guys soon!

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Your YouTube video link doesn't work.
Fixed

-Nick
Old 07-03-2018, 04:25 PM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Hey Guys,

We're back with the next update on our C6 performance radiator saga! As always, make sure you head over to the Engineering Blog for the full story!

In our last update, we went over our plans to remove Chevy's indecision from the Corvette's cooling system. This time we brought it to life with the arrival of our production sample!

We ditched the thinner stock core, added an extra row of cooling passageways, and replaced the plastic end tanks with aluminum to create a one size fits all design by incorporating provisions for end-tank transmission and oil coolers.

Again, make sure you head over to the Engineering Blog to get a full look at the new design. Also keep your eyes out for out dyno testing results and discounted presale coming soon!

In honor of the 4th tomorrow, I'll leave you guys with this:

Have a fun and safe holiday guys!

-Nick
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

You might want to see if you can make the drivers side tank as big as the passenger side if you are going to offer the engine oil cooler in radiator. Looks like the passenger side is about 1 inch wider than the drivers side to account for the transmission oil cooler. Looks like you are have added a plug for the later model oil cooler (which is by the oil filter) which just has a tube coming from the drivers side of the radiator tank. So this gives flexibility of the owner of the unit.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 PM
Brewdog
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested in the development of this product. I've got a 2012 GrandSport Manual trans, dry sump oiling system. I'm thinking of getting rid of the extra oil cooler and using the Z51 lines to run it thru the radiator. After that, I'll probably do a Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger. I"m hoping the heat exchanger for the supercharger, or another aftermarket heat exchanger will be compatible with this.

Last edited by Brewdog; 07-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by double06
You might want to see if you can make the drivers side tank as big as the passenger side if you are going to offer the engine oil cooler in radiator. Looks like the passenger side is about 1 inch wider than the drivers side to account for the transmission oil cooler. Looks like you are have added a plug for the later model oil cooler (which is by the oil filter) which just has a tube coming from the drivers side of the radiator tank. So this gives flexibility of the owner of the unit.
I actually just spoke with the engineer about the end tanks, and there's a method to his madness

Like with any heat exchanger, it's all a balancing act to maximize performance, and also just generally fit in the engine bay. We used the Z51 radiator as the frame work since it utilized the larges end tanks to fit all of our planned integrated coolers, and more or less maxed our build envelope. If we made the end tanks any bigger, we'd end up cutting into the core size, which is the real star of the show, and where all of the cooling properties come from. When it comes to end tanks, it ends up being one of those "It's not the size but how you use them" sort of situations. The more efficiently we can move the coolant through the core, the better.

Yup we did make sure to include the late model oil cooler port as well! We'll have a plug installed on deliver, but we'll be including a port for the coolant line to the stacked plate cooler:

Originally Posted by Brewdog
Interested in the development of this product. I've got a 2012 GrandSport Manual trans, dry sump oiling system. I'm thinking of getting rid of the extra oil cooler and using the Z51 lines to run it thru the radiator. After that, I'll probably do a Magnuson Heartbeat supercharger. I"m hoping the heat exchanger for the supercharger, or another aftermarket heat exchanger will be compatible with this.
With the external oil out of the way, you should still have some space in there for an external intercooler if needed, although it might get a little tight in there. I know those blowers have integrated liquid intercoolers running off the coolant system, so just upgrading your coolant system will be a huge help with that. I you still need to pull some heat out of your intake air though, we do offer a pretty wide range of universal intercoolers

-Nick
Old 07-05-2018, 07:35 PM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

How many plate cooler are you using? I think the factory they use only 3 plates. I realize there is limited room between the frame (about 30 inches) there on these so make the tank/tubes/core as big as you can and still fit in there. This is why I ask on the tank size as a larger cooler would warrant a larger tank to allow coolant to zoom around in there.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:53 PM
xowhitegenxo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

👀👀👀👀

Get notified of new replies

To Mishimoto Performance Radiator Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:57 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by double06
How many plate cooler are you using? I think the factory they use only 3 plates. I realize there is limited room between the frame (about 30 inches) there on these so make the tank/tubes/core as big as you can and still fit in there. This is why I ask on the tank size as a larger cooler would warrant a larger tank to allow coolant to zoom around in there.
We're using 6 plates on the trans cooler side, and 4 for the oil cooler, which helps explain the larger passenger side end tank

-Nick
Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Any projected ETA at this point? Or a timeframe in mind to hopefully have a finished product? I think radiator is the first item on my list of winter mods.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mellojoe
Any projected ETA at this point? Or a timeframe in mind to hopefully have a finished product? I think radiator is the first item on my list of winter mods.

We're actually very close to launching our presale in the next week or two, so make sure to keep an eye out for that to get in on the discount After the presale launches, we're typically about 4-5 weeks from shipping products out, so we're looking at a late August - early September release.

-Nick

Quick Reply: Mishimoto Performance Radiator Thread