Sponsored by:

Eight-speed Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,008 Likes on 5,372 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
So...after all of this, what is the definition of an "Automatic transmission"? IMO, an "Automatic" transmission shifts gears automatically (makes sense to me).

What is the definition of a "Manual transmission"? Again, IMO, a "Manual" transmission must be shifted manually (MANually, again, makes sense to me).

You can talk about torque converters all you want, but if a transmission will shift automatically, then it's an "AUTOMATIC". It's funny that "normal" cars with DCT's (Ford/VW) call their DCT's "automatics" and the sports car makers call their DCT's "Automated manuals", which I guess is the car version of "Jumbo shrimp" or "hot water heater". I don't care if they're called DCT/F1/e-gear/PDK/whatever, no clutch pedal, it's an AUTOMATIC.

Jimmy
I agree with you to a certain point. Up until recently automatic transmissions had a fluid connection (torque converter) between the to engine and the actual transmission thus were indirect drive transmissions. All manual transmissions were direct drive through a clutch. In the last 30 years or so the torque converter clutch was added so these indirect drive transmissions became changed to direct drive once the vehicle was on the highway and in the upper gears. The DCT isn't and has never been an indirect drive transmission. It is a direct drive transmission with all of the good features of a direct drive transmission and a lot less of the bad features. The biggest bad feature it is missing is the necessity of using the clutch at times when clutch use is a huge PIA. It is a transmission that gives the guys who want to shift on their own all they want and the guys who want to let the car shift itself all they want. Other than potential technical/reliability/usage issues that I may not know about I don't see they would have any other transmission in the car. From a manufacturer stand point it eliminates a lot of maintenance and support issues, it eliminates the cost of maintaining two different part numbers in engineering, reduces inventory costs, reduces support costs by eliminating one set of special tools, etc, etc, etc. These are all good things on a low volume car.

Bill
Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Not So!

Originally Posted by RainMan12
I don't know why they would want an 8 speed, GM couldn't even program the 6 speed automatic so it was driveable.

They'll probably program it so it shifts into 8th gear at 15mph to save gas mileage, and then you'll have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to make it downshift, at which time it will do a 6 gear downshift and rip the rear end right out from under it, after a considerable delay imposed by the torque controls.

The actual transmission design will be a moot point, because they will slaughter it by the way they program it. It wouldn't matter if it was a 20 speed transmission, it still won't provide any torque or acceleration when it shifts into it's highest gear at under 20mph.
There new auto is supposed to be as fast as an auto sequential on up shifts. A bunch of fast gears is a really efficient substitute for power. Hence, the semi-trailer trucks with all those gears!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Not confused at all...I was talking about your claims of Aisin providing the automatic transmission, pure balderdash. And yes, it's been well known for quite a few years GM is going to make an 8 speed auto...look at the dates on their patents. You didn't give us any new news.
GM is only behind a few manufacturers...name all cars with 8 speed autos. Chrysler has one model with an 8 speed auto outsourced from ZF. Mercedes Benz has a few. I haven't taken the time to do all the research but they aren't behind "many" manufacturers. I'll wait for the list from you...enlighten me.
Just sayin...

For those wanting additional confirmation, today Motor Trend has just repeated what I said originally and knew almost a year ago.

I wouldn't say something as notable as my original post without being confident about my source.

Can things change and could myself and MT be wrong? Sure, but I have no problem being wrong by trying to bring a good peice of information to the forum after careful consideration and some much more reliable source verification than you think.

Read more...

We Hear: 2014 Corvette, New Cadillacs to Use Aisin Eight-Speed Auto Before GM’s 8A Arrives
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I would have preferred a DCT transmission as I want this technology in my next new sports car purchase. I have heard rumors that GM has been able with new technology and programing so there is supposedly no reason to want a DCT transmission.

I'm willing to wait and test drive one to at least give them the benefit of the doubt..

If GM buys a Toyota 8 speed for one year....that would probably be a model year I'd definitely pass on unless it got rave media reviews beyond DCT tech and got to test drive it as well
Old 11-13-2012, 03:23 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Honesty, I'm still at a loss as to what makes the DCT so much better than a standard auto with today's technology.

I get that there's potentially less power loss through a DCT, but the truth is that with today's converter technology the energy loss isn't nearly as much as it used to be with standard torque converters.

And with the 6+ speed transmissions, they have multiple sets of gears like a DCT, they prepare for the next shift just like a DCT does. The difference is that the standard autos use clutch packs and the DCT uses two solenoid driven clutches. In theory, their performance should be equal as far as shift speed if the standard auto is programmed right. But remember that good programming is a must on both transmissions. In addition, a standard automatic doesn't require the engine to cut fuel and/or spark before the shift, while the DCT does.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm simply wondering why there's such a fuss about the drive engagement style of an automatic transmission.

Maybe I'm just not understanding something... (I admit I'm not expert here.)
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If the one year deal is true I wouldn't care to own a Corvette with this unique configuration. Warranty service would be a nightmare since there will never be any in-house expertise developed and any parts unique to this configuration could be a post warranty issue.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:11 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
If the one year deal is true I wouldn't care to own a Corvette with this unique configuration. Warranty service would be a nightmare since there will never be any in-house expertise developed and any parts unique to this configuration could be a post warranty issue.

If I go with an early C7 it would have to be the manual trans.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:36 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,251 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Wow, where do you get this stuff from??? There will be no Aisin automatic transmission in the C7 (or any other GM car)....it'll be a Hydramatic from GM, most likely called a 8L90. There were a few cars with Aisin automatic transmissions in 2004 and 2006 (Saturn Ion, Chevy Equinoix, Pontiac Torrent) but I would be surprised if total production amounted t0 50,000.
There are too many patents issued to GM on 8-speed automatics to even suggest anything other than a Hydramatic.

So, Glass slipper....

You smacked around Caddylac10 in 4 different posts (to the point of being rude) and as it turns out, HE'S SPOT ON (about the Aisin 8 speed) AND YOU'RE NOT.

Next time, you might want to....never mind.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-14-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:26 AM
brentil
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

How about we talk about some technical details in an informative manor about the topic instead of this total troll behavior. This is the type of behavior I expect to see on a tuner forum, not a Corvette forum... I went from being the admin of the Solsticeforum/Skyroadster forum to a lurker here because of threads like this.

As several sources are quoting now the Aisin 8sp TL-80SN which is also in the Lexus IS F is the most likely candidate for the C7. Collecting info from the Aisin's resource page and Lexus IS F documentation we find the following details. Some have mentioned a couple of these but I wanted to collect them together.
  • 5% faster acceleration (compared to "conventional" 6sp)
  • 7% lower fuel efficiency (compared to "conventional" 6sp)
  • 2 kg (~4.5 lbs) reduction in weight (compared to Aisin 6sp)
  • Virtually instant manual upshifts (as quick as 0.1 seconds)
  • Blips the throttle on downshifts
  • Torque converter lock-up clutch for gears 2─8

It's late but I wanted to also grab the current C6 6AT information to compare some data between the two designs. This is obviously not a DTC but the values and tech make it much more inline with them. The upshift speed and throttle blips are common on most DTC systems now and the performance converter lock-up on gears 2-8 provide "clutch" like performance by eliminating nearly all torque converter slippage.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,389 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by brentil
...... This is obviously not a DTC but the values and tech make it much more inline with them. The upshift speed and throttle blips are common on most DTC systems now and the performance converter lock-up on gears 2-8 provide "clutch" like performance by eliminating nearly all torque converter slippage.
People forget that the torque convertor has advantages. It has smoother transition from idle in normal driving conditions. It is a torque multiplier (about 2 to 1 IIRC). This is part of the reason they are so successful in drag racing. As mention once they go into lock-up the torque convertor is a non-issue except rotating mass.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

The transmission in the IS-F is pretty ridiculous. Would love to see it in the C7. It's the quickest shifting automatic out there(I don't count DCTs as autos and the IS-F box outperforms many of those too).
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
brentil
Instructor

Information like this also leads me to believe that the GM built one should be on par if not better than this (I at least hope so). Otherwise what's the point of spending millions on making your own when the Aisin does a very solid job.

Where I think this Aisin will shine/fail in the C7 will come down to GM's software for the transmission and how they fine tune it to the new car. They have some unique challenges to overcome like rear mounted transmission and now the Active Fuel Management for the new LT1.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by brentil
Information like this also leads me to believe that the GM built one should be on par if not better than this (I at least hope so). Otherwise what's the point of spending millions on making your own when the Aisin does a very solid job.

Where I think this Aisin will shine/fail in the C7 will come down to GM's software for the transmission and how they fine tune it to the new car. They have some unique challenges to overcome like rear mounted transmission and now the Active Fuel Management for the new LT1.
Could be that GM would like the profits from manufacturing/selling a transmission, that would be going to an outside supplier, stay at home. Remember that we are talking about a transmission that will be used in several different lines, not just the low volume Corvette.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:43 PM
brentil
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Could be that GM would like the profits from manufacturing/selling a transmission, that would be going to an outside supplier, stay at home. Remember that we are talking about a transmission that will be used in several different lines, not just the low volume Corvette.
That is true, it'll start in the Corvette/Cadillac and eventually move down to Buick & Chevy.

Quick Reply: Eight-speed Automatic transmission