Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
Guys on the c6 Z06 forum complain of this noise on their LS7's. Those cars are notorious for dropping valves and windowing blocks. - maybe these LT motors on the c7 will start dropping valves too.

Luckily my ls7 z06 makes no ticking or clicking noises. and I have an extended warranty to 2018.
That's really good for you. Congratulations, you should be proud.
S.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Slappy3243
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Every direct injection engine I have heard, foreign or domestic, has a sewing machine sound to them. It can be described as a clicking I suppose. Anyway, it's par for the course and I am not worried about it.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal , don't worry and save yourself a trip to the dealer . Enjoy the car .....
Old 11-25-2013, 12:43 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

I finally heard one under idle on Thursday.....very strange sounding. I have had an LS1 and yes they sound like a sewing machine. This was different, almost a clatter.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hi FrancisDGarcia,

How did things go at the dealership?

If there is anything that I can do please let me know.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 PM
JM88
Advanced

My car at first start this AM was ticking until she warmed up and it died down.

My oil pressure at warm idle has been 27
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 PM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
Hi FrancisDGarcia,

How did things go at the dealership?

If there is anything that I can do please let me know.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Kelly;

Thanks so much for following up. I really appreciate it. It looks like I do not have any issue with my engine after all. After reading all the responses to my post and doing Internet searches, I found that the sound I have been hearing is normal.

It's funny--now that I know that the sewing machine type sound I'm hearing is to be expected from direct ignition engines, I am actually starting to love it.

Francis D. Garcia
One very happy and proud Stingray owner
Old 11-27-2013, 10:34 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Again, its only the fuel pump that's a little noisy.....thats all...the engine is not clicking.....Now let's all get back to burying the throttle and getting that tingling feeling in our ....icules.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Again, its only the fuel pump that's a little noisy.....thats all...the engine is not clicking.....Now let's all get back to burying the throttle and getting that tingling feeling in our ....icules.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by FrancisDGarcia
Hi Kelly;

Thanks so much for following up. I really appreciate it. It looks like I do not have any issue with my engine after all. After reading all the responses to my post and doing Internet searches, I found that the sound I have been hearing is normal.

It's funny--now that I know that the sewing machine type sound I'm hearing is to be expected from direct ignition engines, I am actually starting to love it.

Francis D. Garcia
One very happy and proud Stingray owner
That is great Francis,

If there is anything that I can ever do, please PM me!

I am glad that you are a very happy and proud Stingray owner, that is the way to be.

Enjoy,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
Sound like this?

VIDEO:

Yes. The clicking sound in this video seems more pronounced than what I heard from my C7.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Reviving the thread from the dead.

Sooooo....

Since this noise is "normal" can anyone explain why my brand new Denali with the DI 6.2L L86, which is very similar to the LT1 is super quiet and I don't hear any ticking at all?

Yes, the ticking in my C7 still bothers me.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:17 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Reviving the thread from the dead. Sooooo.... Since this noise is "normal" can anyone explain why my brand new Denali with the DI 6.2L L86, which is very similar to the LT1 is super quiet and I don't hear any ticking at all? Yes, the ticking in my C7 still bothers me.
One of two reasons IMO. The C7 will have car less noise isolation than the Denali. If that is not it, your noise isn't normal. I have some DI noise that I can hear with the windows up but nothing that I would say is annoying or bothersome.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
One of two reasons IMO. The C7 will have car less noise isolation than the Denali. If that is not it, your noise isn't normal. I have some DI noise that I can hear with the windows up but nothing that I would say is annoying or bothersome.
OOOOooo, that's a good point!!!

The noise was bugging the crap out me, so I asked my wife to drive the car while I stood outside (it was a roleplaying thing but that's a different thread altogether...) Anyway I couldn't hear a single ticking noise & more specifically, Sue, my wife all of a sudden starts to hear what I've been bitchin' about!

Try it you'll be surprised at how decent it sounds & nothing like what you hear in the drivers seat!

Wormwood

Last edited by Wormwood; 05-08-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:44 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gthal
Watch my video I posted of the noise. I think it's loud.
My Denali is quiet even when I stick my head under the car next to the engine. I can hear my C7's tick inside the car and 10 feet away.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Watch my video I posted of the noise. I think it's loud.
My Denali is quiet even when I stick my head under the car next to the engine. I can hear my C7's tick inside the car and 10 feet away.
I've been trying to but all I get it a little circle thing that spins round & round while ads keep playing just fine on the righthand side... I'll keep trying, just need to be a little more patient maybe?

Wormwood
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wormwood
I've been trying to but all I get it a little circle thing that spins round & round while ads keep playing just fine on the righthand side... I'll keep trying, just need to be a little more patient maybe?

Wormwood
Maybe it's a photobucket issue.

I'll try to take another video too. I just played that video and it's a lot louder than that video!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine clicking noise

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Normal , drive it . Have fun .....
Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Highborne
2nd Gear

Default 2017 C7 engine ticking

My 2017 C7 has an annoying ticking that stays with RPM. It is impossible to tell if a lifter / pushrod etc. noise as opposed to injectors. Clearly the worst would be lifter related. GM must have some info on this. It seems that a number of C7s have the same issue so I'm defaulting to injectors. However, after building and owning many corvettes since the first stingray 1968, I have never experienced this clicking except adjusting rocker arms on other small block engines. Isn't there some sort of tech line directly to the Corvette Plant engineering reps?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The most common reason for this ticking is the cam driven high pressure fuel pump and it is present to a greater or lesser extent on all of the GDI engines using this type of pump to create the pressure necessary for direct injection into the combustion chamber. My first experience with this was my 2008 Cadillac CTS with a 3.6L DI and to combat the noise Cadillac used a lot of sound deadening to address the noise directly from the pump and also to reduce the noise along the common fuel rails which "sing" along with the pump. Corvettes have far less sound deadening around the engine (and in the passenger compartment) so the noise is far more audible. If my LT-4 equipped Z06 had been my first GDI engine it would have been more noticeable but after my first gen 3.6DI in the CTS and 2nd gen 3.6DI in my ATS the LT-4 tick sounds normal to me.

You can use a sound stethoscope to somewhat narrow the sound location and if it is the cam driven high pressure pump the noise will be louder near its location towards the top rear of the engine however sound propagates, especially through the common fuel rails, so it won't have only a single source point for the noise.

Also see this TSB for a related issue: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2017-1338.html

And on edit here is a nice post put up on the C7 forum by Theta that shows some good information on the layout of the HPCR (high pressure common rail) fuel system for those unfamiliar with its layout: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-for-lt1.html

And use proper caution around these systems since the fuel pressure in the rail is FAR higher than what people are used to with port injection systems and a little leak can effectively inject fuel into your skin. Although not as potentially dangerous as the HPCR used on diesel engines which develop rail pressures beyond 30,000 PSI the 2,000 and up PSI developed in these gas systems is nothing to be careless around.

Last edited by NSC5; 04-25-2017 at 12:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kevstaarr (01-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Engine clicking noise