Sponsored by:

Mp3, SD ?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
FWIW, I bought an iPod Nano to use in my C6 and it rarely left it (only times were when I was working in the garage and plugged it into the stereo system I have out there. Then back into the C6).

When I found out the C7 supported SD cards, I went and bought a 16 gig one and transferred my music and playlists from iTunes to it. Why tie up a $100+ iPod when a $10 SD card does the same thing? And I also have the added advantage of not having an iPod and its cable rattling around in the center console or compartment behind the screen
I just use my Music on my I phone. No wires needed it uses the Bluetooth!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I am already ticked off about being forced into burning my CDs because Chevy failed to include a CD player in a $70,000 car.
There's no cassette player or 8-track either. You ticked about those too? I haven't seen a CD in 8 or 9 years.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
There's no cassette player or 8-track either. You ticked about those too? I haven't seen a CD in 8 or 9 years.
Just because you have no need for it is no reason not to include something all other GM cars have. What about if I suggested that Chevy stop offering manual transmissions because most people order automatics? If they really wanted to save weight and space they can get rid of fancy touch screens and getting rid of A/C would be a good idea because I really do not need it.

PS I just bought another CD a few weeks ago
Old 03-20-2014, 11:55 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Just because you have no need for it is no reason not to include something all other GM cars have. What about if I suggested that Chevy stop offering manual transmissions because most people order automatics? If they really wanted to save weight and space they can get rid of fancy touch screens and getting rid of A/C would be a good idea because I really do not need it.

But most cars DO unfortunately come only in automatic.
Fortunately "most" Corvette owners don't order automatic.

It's not a matter of weight and space with the CD player; it's obsolescence.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

My 96 CE is automatic, my 62 is a 4 speed and I ordered my C7 with a stick shift, but unfortunately from what I read 60% of new C7 Corvettes are automatics.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

It's not a matter of weight and space with the CD player; it's ç.
The new automatics are faster than the manual transmission C7s so I guess the manual transmission that you and I both prefer are also obsolete.

My memory could be wrong on this but I think that in some model years of the C3 they only were available with an auto trans. With 60% of the C7 being sold with automatics there may come a time when the manual trans becomes obsolete, obsolescence be a real bitch when something you happen to like becomes obsolete.

PS the early C1s were only available with automatics

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 03-21-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

The new automatics are faster than the manual transmission C7s so I guess the manual transmission that you and I both prefer are also obsolete.
In a drag race sure, but what's the fun in that?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you look at the sales numbers, "most" Corvette buyers DO order/buy automatics. When I was in the biz, it was somewhere around 60/40. Go check the Black Book for the latest numbers.

And there are several high-end sports cars that are no longer offered with manny-trannys. e.g., I don't think you can get a manual in a new Ferrari.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HummelS
I think if you look at the sales numbers, "most" Corvette buyers DO order/buy automatics. When I was in the biz, it was somewhere around 60/40. Go check the Black Book for the latest numbers.

And there are several high-end sports cars that are no longer offered with manny-trannys. e.g., I don't think you can get a manual in a new Ferrari.
Yeah I see what you're saying. Autos are definitely in the majority, but not yet "most". 60-40 is still enough for them to make both. If it ever gets to 90-10 it's bye-bye stick.

Hmm, didn't this start out about the entertainment system? Sorry OP
Old 03-21-2014, 01:15 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by HummelS

That was exact ally my point, it seems OK to declare the CD desolate if you do not want it but what happens if you enjoy driving an obsolete manual transmission?

I also stated that 60% of C7s are automatics in post #25.

Will Woodson feel the same way when his manual trans is no longer made because it is obsolete?
Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 AM
SDLaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest downloading iTunes or Google Music manager for free on your computer. Then you set the import settings for what file format you want when you rip a CD and just put the CD in the computer. After than you move the files to your USB or SD card. It's quite painless if you do it right. You should not need to convert anything. Both those programs should do it automatically upon import. Feel free to pm me. I'm confident once you get it set up you'll understand why it's much easier. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:04 AM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

That was exact ally my point, it seems OK to declare the CD desolate if you do not want it but what happens if you enjoy driving an obsolete manual transmission?

I also stated that 60% of C7s are automatics in post #25.

Will Woodson feel the same way when his manual trans is no longer made because it is obsolete?
I respectfully think the CD issue is a bit different.

There are only two types of transmission for a car, automatic or manual and different ways to implement those, such as paddle shift, traditional stick etc

A CD is (soon was) a way to transfer / store / access information, it has been supplanted by far superior tech that is more portable, less prone to damage and has much more storage capacity...

CD's are going away, manual transmissions are not especially in "enthusiast" cars....IMO of course
Old 03-21-2014, 06:40 AM
bnall40
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plug a CD player in .... Your C7 accepts that too!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

SD is my choice. It is out of the way when inserted and holds a lot of songs.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by bkazepis
I respectfully think the CD issue is a bit different.

A CD is (soon was) a way to transfer / store / access information, it has been supplanted by far superior tech that is more portable, less prone to damage and has much more storage capacity...
We have different definitions of superior.As far as I am concerned the capability of storing more data may be superior, but the MP3 format produces inferior sound quality and my definition of superior is what ever offers the best quality sound .

I brought this up on another thread and someone suggested that using a lossless encoder or a AIFF encoder would produce a better quality copy. Apparently this did not work in my 2014 Silverado and that is whay I had to use MP3 a encoder @ 192 KBPS.

I prefer not to sacrifice quality to gain quantity and will always buy my music in a medium that provides me the best possibility of producing the best quality sound. Some people are content with the quality that a stereo system costing $1,000 or less will provide and that may be why they are content with the inferior MP3 format. When I set up my system I willingly spent $3,000 in 1980s money ($3,000 in the 80s a heck of a lot more than it will buy today) on speakers alone. When you add in the cost of the pre-amp and the two amps ( am set up with a dual amp system). I spent well over $10,000 in 1980s dollars because i wanted the best sound possible. People keep on pointing out how many songs an MP3 format will hold, I do not care how many more songs I can store on a flash drive if the sound is inferior. Obviously in order to store more songs using less space they had to compress and lose data. Less date equals less quality.

Some people are under the impression that more is better but I can tell the difference in quality.

I saved myself some typing by copying comments made by Nicky43 on a thread that I started about my disappointment with the lack of a CD player.
THE COMMENTS BELOW WERE MADE BY Nicky43
Baloney. Anyone that thinks mp3 is as good as CD quality does not understand how mp3 works. Mp3 compresses the music by taking samples of it at a very high rate. But even at the highest sampling rates I can notice the difference in any environment where I can get the music level higher than the level of the environment's noise.

It is not so much the fidelity of the music that is effected as it is the time signature of the music that is effected and so percussion instruments are most effected and are the most noticeable problem with mp3. I have a professional home recording studio and I record CDs in 24 bit mode because the music I write is very percussive intensive. I hate the minor shifting of the beats that has to be done by the mp3 conversion process.

That said, it does beat the fluttering 8 track players that I had in my first two cars. LOL! But to answer the question, yes, I was annoyed and very surprised to find out that my $65K car does not have a CD player.

CLICK HERE AND READ MORE OF HIS COMMENTS he does a good job of explaining obsolete CDs are better quality recordings.
======================================

Maybe some of you don't care about quality, or your hearing is so bad you can't tell the difference between good and bad quality recordings but please do not come to the false conclusion that newer is always better.

The four leisure pastimes that I enjoy most are traveling in my RV, owning and driving and working with cars, recreational shooting and listing to music.I have taken extreme measures to protect my hearing when I shoot in order to make sure I can enjoy listening to music so i am offended when GM chooses to limit my listening option to a medium that produces inferior sound, and I feel sorry for those that do not understand why I prefer a source that will provide me with better quality sound.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:49 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

From what I've heard, the Bose system in the C7 is incapable of reproducing the nuances that would be heard in better digital storage than MP3s. And that's when the car is standing still

On the road? NFW.......
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
SJVET
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the largest SD card that the C7 can have? Also, are there different types/classes that work or don't? Thanks. SJ

Get notified of new replies

To Mp3, SD ?????

Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SJVET
What is the largest SD card that the C7 can have? Also, are there different types/classes that work or don't? Thanks. SJ
The manual doesn't say but I think someone once posted 32 gigs is the limit. I don't know myself as I use an 8 gig one and it holds more than enough.....for now
Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Originally Posted by KenHorse
The manual doesn't say but I think someone once posted 32 gigs is the limit. I don't know myself as I use an 8 gig one and it holds more than enough.....for now
The same question came up in the Volt forum and the consensus was 32 GB, that why I bought a bunch of 32 GB flash drives it will increase the odds of compatibility with other cars
Old 03-21-2014, 12:37 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

The same question came up in the Volt forum and the consensus was 32 GB, that why I bought a bunch of 32 GB flash drives it will increase the odds of compatibility with other cars
Flash drives = USB sticks in your case?

Quick Reply: Mp3, SD ?????