Sponsored by:

2014 Corvette Engine Damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:29 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Corvette Engine Damage

Before I say all of this I love my car. This is my second Corvette and I saved over 3 years to trade my old one in for this one. It was a great car. It kills me to even write this but I need some help.

I was driving my new 2014 C7 convertible to work two weeks ago and I heard a squeal and a large pop. I was on the interstate with the engine turning less than 1800 RPMs. The engine went dead and the car left me stranded on the side of the road. I called OnStar and had it towed to the closet dealer.

Two weeks latter the dealer calls me and says that they are replacing the crankshaft, #6 rod, and all of the main bearings. This car is 3 months old with only has 3,645 miles on it. It was never tracked or run hard. For that matter it never was parked outside until now. There should be no reason to have this type of heart transplant on a new car.

My actions already are:
Called the 1-800 GM service and I was told someone would call in 72 hours. That did not happen.
After a week, I wrote an email to GM VP of operations and 5 days latter finally got a response. I got a case number. 1-1355983944.
I am on my way to talk with dealer service manager today.

My concerns are this:
1.)My dealer told me they have not even done an oil change on this car yet. Now the tech is going to be rebuilding my motor. No offense but that makes me nervous.
2.)How are they going to clean all the metal fragments from the motor? I would think there is other residual damage like piston walls, valves guides, etc..
3.)The resale value on the car will be bad. I would not want to buy a car with all of this replaced even if it was done at the dealer.
4.) Should I let them proceed with the repair or try to get some kind of compensation or help for my loss in value? Do I have a choice?

I really want a new car. I am willing to be reasonable but think I should get some help from GM on the cost.
Update:
After my trip to the dealer. I am being told that the problem was the #5 rod bearing that caused the issue. They are replacing the rods in 5 and 6, all the rod bearings, main bearing and the crankshaft. GM and dealer are saying it will be no problem and just like new.

The dealer has been good and trying to help. Really dissappointed in the response from GM. Not sure what to do next?

Went to see the car today. The whole front end was on the ground with the oil pan off. The suspect right now is a bad #5 or #6 rod bearing (see pics). It spun and locked up on the crank. Tech said he believes this is the only issue. Not any metal in the oil pan or around the crank. Just a fine metal powder. Tech thinks it is a defective rod bearing. Still on course to rebuild the bottom of motor. Hope nobody else gets this issue. Never had a car with a motor down like this. Dealer service guys has been good but still no word from GM. Really disappointed.

Last edited by 777vetter; 09-15-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Updating and adding pics
Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 777vetter
Before I say all of this I love my car. This is my second Corvette and I saved over 3 years to trade my old one in for this one. It was a great car. It kills me to even write this but I need some help.

I was driving my new 2014 C7 convertible to work two weeks ago and I heard a squeal and a large pop. I was on the interstate with the engine turning less than 1800 RPMs. The engine went dead and the car left me stranded on the side of the road. I called OnStar and had it towed to the closet dealer.

Two weeks latter the dealer calls me and says that they are replacing the crankshaft, #6 rod, and all of the main bearings. This car is 3 months old with only has 3,645 miles on it. It was never tracked or run hard. For that matter it never was parked outside until now. There should be no reason to have this type of heart transplant on a new car.

My actions already are:
Called the 1-800 GM service and I was told someone would call in 72 hours. That did not happen.
After a week, I wrote an email to GM VP of operations and 5 days latter finally got a response. I got a case number. 1-1355983944.

My concerns are this:
1.)My dealer told me they have not even done an oil change on this car yet. Now the tech is going to be rebuilding my motor. No offense but that makes me nervous.
2.)How are they going to clean all the metal fragments from the motor? I would think there is other residual damage like piston walls, valves guides, etc..
3.)The resale value on the car will be bad. I would not want to buy a car with all of this replaced even if it was done at the dealer.
4.) Should I let them proceed with the repair or try to get some kind of compensation or help for my loss in value? Do I have a choice?

I really want a new car. I am willing to be reasonable but think I should get some help from GM on the cost.
Was it attributed to the oil filter defect?

I think you have a valid concern. I lost the engine on my C5, because I lost a lifter. The lifter failed and scattered small shavings on the #7 piston skirt. From the time it started to tick to no oil pressure was about a minute of idling! Ate #7 cylinder up and ended up with small shavings everywhere! I tore that engine down, said screw it and built a new forged engine.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Coc5
Was it attributed to the oil filter defect?

I think you have a valid concern. I lost the engine on my C5, because I lost a lifter. The lifter failed and scattered small shavings on the #7 piston skirt. From the time it started to tick to no oil pressure was about a minute of idling! Ate #7 cylinder up and ended up with small shavings everywhere! I tore that engine down, said screw it and built a new forged engine.
I am not sure if they know what caused it. I have not been able to get any information until yesterday. I saw the C&D article about the possible oil filter. I am in the auto parts business myself. If it was the oil filter I would think they would do a deeper investigation to charge back the supplier at fault. Send a tech from the plant. I live in Memphis it is a 3 hr drive from the plant. They just let the dealer tear the motor down and report back. Seems like a weak response for such a major quality breakdown.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 AM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 94 Posts

Default Wow

Same thing happened to Me at 2300 miles sitting at a stop light!

Spun a main bearing due to lack of oil but engine was full of oil? Motor ended up locking up and needed main bearings, crank, 2 rods, 1 piston, oil pump and oil pan. My Dealer really stepped up and fought with us and ended up buying back our car and We picked another one off the lot.

But all this news has Me VERY WORRIED that the problem has not been solved and MAY HAPPEN AGAIN?

GM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING NOW BEFORE THEY ALL GO BAD!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Have there been reports of the truck engines failing in similar fashion, or is this just a LT1 issue?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:08 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 777vetter

My actions already are:

My concerns are this:

Had somewhat the same problem in April, basically the main bearings had to be replaced. After two weeks the Service Manager told me they were still waiting on parts. At that point I filed a case with GM and they escalated it to regional support. Within a week a new engine was shipped, the old engine was reassembled and sent back to GM. As far as future value I was told it was considered warranty replacement and not on carfax. I was not offered a car replacement, but was offered compensation for non-use for 30+ days.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:09 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 841 Posts

They must have an issue with debris getting in the engine on the assembly line or something. Too many of these happening, sound too similar.

IMHO, Change the oil on your new Vette (or any new vehicle) at 50/500/1000/2000 miles as cheap insurance!!

Engine oil is so cheap and so vital to the longevity of a new engine; just do it.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy
They must have an issue with debris getting in the engine on the assembly line or something. Too many of these happening, sound too similar.

IMHO, Change the oil on your new Vette (or any new vehicle) at 50/500/1000/2000 miles as cheap insurance!!

Engine oil is so cheap and so vital to the longevity of a new engine; just do it.
My thoughts exactly! But if I had just bought a new C7 I would be changing the oil and filter immediately
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Wow. 3 posters in this thread already with engines down with bearing damage.

Not sure what is going on with this issue. Hopefully is isolated and general to the whole fleet. A bit disturbing.

OP, DCBE and Frank - sorry you guys have to go through this. Any concrete info you learn on cause, please post it.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:30 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by acroy

I changed the oil in my 2009 LS3 @ 500, 1500 and 3000 miles.
(some folks think I'm kind of crazy-retentive)
LS-3's have a very good reputation as being pretty darn tough engines, but there were some bits and shavings on the magnetic plug I installed with every change. By the next one at 5K, there was a lot less; almost a fine paste of very tiny particles on the magnet.
(really wish I had taken pictures of this...)
Seems to me that the general manufacturing standards on these high performance engines need to be a bit more aware of the early fragmentation of machined metal edges. Given the brutal internal pressures and velocities placed on these parts, a more polished/ finished product might be necessary. Until then, I agree, flush out the bad stuff regardless of the naysayers who don't change their oil until the DIC tells them to.

Last edited by BSE1956; 09-12-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Wow. 3 posters in this thread already with engines down with bearing damage.

Not sure what is going on with this issue. Hopefully is isolated and general to the whole fleet. A bit disturbing.

OP, DCBE and Frank - sorry you guys have to go through this. Any concrete info you learn on cause, please post it.
Mine was a result of a torque tube replacement, a Dec tech bulletin states if not done by procedure it would cause bearing ware, dealer states they were not provided the correct procedure, however, all is well now 5000+mi on the new engine.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by BSE1956
Seems to me that the general manufacturing standards on these high performance engines need to be a bit more aware of the early fragmentation of machined metal edges. Given the brutal internal pressures and velocities placed on these parts, a more polished/ finished product might be necessary. Until then, I agree, flush out the bad stuff regardless of the naysayers who don't change their oil until the DIC tells them to.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but on ANY new engine, there's residues from the casting/forging process of all the various parts, minor debris from everything breaking in & seating, etc. Lots of info on the Bob is the Oil Guy forum (yep there's a forum for oil!)

It would be VERY interesting to see used oil analysis (UOA) on new C7's; engines which have and have not grenaded.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM
EVL-C8
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 94 Posts

My oil was changed by the Dealer at around 1000 miles because I wasn't going to wait for DIC to get to 20%. Then the motor went at 2300 miles ..... maybe the damage was already done or maybe the bad filters were on the shelf, I don't know? .... I just don't want to go through this AGAIN!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:56 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I would demand a new engine. I would not let a dealer tech do a rebuild.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:05 AM
MrGeorge
Advanced

If your State has a lemon law, I would ask for a new car, not a rebuilt engine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law
Old 09-12-2014, 10:08 AM
John Micheal Henry
Drifting

Received 275 Likes on 195 Posts

It's a shame you can't use your four FREE oil changes at 500 mile intervals. I changed my first oil change at 1400 miles. I hope I did not wait to long. I'm wondering if it matters if the engines that are having all the trouble are Wet or Dry slump or Both? I'm not going to use the AC Delco PF64 filter any more. Sure hope GM gets a handle on this growing problem. I wish there was some way to gather data to state: root cause, vin number, wet or dry slump, ect, ect..
Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
It's a shame you can't use your four FREE oil changes at 500 mile intervals. I changed my first oil change at 1400 miles. I hope I did not wait to long. I'm wondering if it matters if the engines that are having all the trouble are Wet or Dry slump or Both? I'm not going to use the AC Delco PF64 filter any more. Sure hope GM gets a handle on this growing problem. I wish there was some way to gather data to state: root cause, vin number, wet or dry slump, ect, ect..
Mine was a Z51 engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Engine Damage

Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FRANK121
Same thing happened to Me at 2300 miles sitting at a stop light!

Spun a main bearing due to lack of oil but engine was full of oil? Motor ended up locking up and needed main bearings, crank, 2 rods, 1 piston, oil pump and oil pan. My Dealer really stepped up and fought with us and ended up buying back our car and We picked another one off the lot.

But all this news has Me VERY WORRIED that the problem has not been solved and MAY HAPPEN AGAIN?

GM NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING NOW BEFORE THEY ALL GO BAD!
How has your 2nd one been? Is it doing ok?
I am worried that there is other damage in the motor. How could it have not put metal all over the motor. At least the #6 cylinder should be bad if they are replacing my rod right?
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
777vetter
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DCBE
Had somewhat the same problem in April, basically the main bearings had to be replaced. After two weeks the Service Manager told me they were still waiting on parts. At that point I filed a case with GM and they escalated it to regional support. Within a week a new engine was shipped, the old engine was reassembled and sent back to GM. As far as future value I was told it was considered warranty replacement and not on carfax. I was not offered a car replacement, but was offered compensation for non-use for 30+ days.
I appreciate your response. I am glad it is not on car fax but it is in the GM database that any dealer can pull up on a trade. I really more worried about the life of the motor now.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by MrGeorge
If your State has a lemon law, I would ask for a new car, not a rebuilt engine.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_law
Lemon laws don't mandate a new car for one failure. There are conditions attached about repeat failures, repeated attempts at repair, etc. One failure and repair won't invoke the lemon law.

Originally Posted by John Micheal Henry
It's a shame you can't use your four FREE oil changes at 500 mile intervals.
You can. There's a thread here that was started a few days ago about this and Chevrolet Customer Service posted a reply stating unequivocally that the four free oil changes in the first two years can be done at any time, regardless of what the DIC says. See post #26 in this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-changes.html

Last edited by Steve_R; 09-12-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Engine Damage