C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 100+ mph crash

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:54 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Horsefly
It appears that the entire passenger compartment is missing. I would like to see what the interior of the car looks like.
Probably covered in Poo..........
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BadUmp
... the long arm of the law is much kinder than the law of natural selection, which apparently took pity on this driver!

This scene begets the question - does a Corvette going 100 + mph stop faster wheels down or up ???
Depends, did you opt for the rubber roof option?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:34 PM
Eric_G
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

...what a dumb freaking idiot. I am sorry, you do this kind of crapp in a neighborhood you deserve this kind of result. Think if this was your neighborhood and this idiot just ran your child, wife or husband down because they can't control their urge to go fast. The driver got what they deserve. If there was a passenger, I pray they survive and learn to judge who they ride with in the future.

Take it to a track. How hard is it to understand this statement?!?!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's tragic and much more speed than was safe in that neighborhood had to be involved.
It's not tragic. It's just abjectly stupid. Guy may have lived, but doesn't deserve to, since he apparently values it so little. Tragic would be if he had killed a family in a car or peds. Frankly, it's too bad he made it, because he'll probably do it again... I used to be CHP along the I-15 Barstow stretch and I can tell you that the dumb ones never learn.

He came across the median. The trajectory is right of the cop's right shoulder. Took out some trees along the way. What is disturbing is that the metal rear tub in the halo area appears to have completely separated from the frame rails. Not that any car can survive the idiocy of this driver.

Last edited by TTRotary; 12-08-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Jacked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After going to a Corvette junkyard and seeing the way they come apart in a wreck, I slowed down.It should be mandatory when you buy one.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:22 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by rudolph schenker
the Rudolph Shenker from scorpions,like w/ the brother michael from ufo ??

Last edited by wlean99; 12-09-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:33 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

I spoke with a C7 owner today who stated he went 165 on the way home from dealer pick-up. To which I replied I went 125 on the way home from dealer pickup. But I won't be doing that ever again. Not because of this scene but because it was reckless and highly risky. The place for that is a NASCAR track. This scene is a fresh reminder of the consequences.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
What is disturbing is that the metal rear tub in the halo area appears to have completely separated from the frame rails.
Indulge my ignorance (and not meant as inflammatory, only trying to figure out what you are trying to say), but to what "halo" are you referring? The only halo I've ever heard referenced, in regards to Vettes, is the bar behind the driver's head, which is nonexistent in a Vert.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:00 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLastCorvette
If you are referring to those brown blobs in picture #2; I couldn't/wouldn't say what that really is. Could just as easily been, what fell out of his pants when lifted onto the stretcher.
That's the reflection of the cops head and arm in the oil slick ... but there's probably is some brown blobs someplace at that wreck scene. Must have been one hell of a ride.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

That's the worst C7 carnage I have seen. It's amazing that the driver survived!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

That will buff right out!! Contact Wolfdogs in the C6 section!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:58 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Indulge my ignorance (and not meant as inflammatory, only trying to figure out what you are trying to say), but to what "halo" are you referring? The only halo I've ever heard referenced, in regards to Vettes, is the bar behind the driver's head, which is nonexistent in a Vert.
True - I was referring to the area - better wording would help.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

You know, I wonder if someone could have pulled out in front of Mr. "Speed Racer." It's much harder these days to screw up, unlike the old days when one needed to have skills. (ABS, Active Handling, Electronic Rear Differential, Cutting edge tires) My 68 427 I purchased in 1969 had nothing, yet somehow I managed to keep her on the road/track, unscathed. And yes back then she saw 150 on the speedo many times on the hi way, "The good Ole Days." One thing different was I lived in the out back, and there was much less traffic. Youth has the misconception that they are invincible, I never considered what would have happened had a deer jumped out while traveling at a buck fifty...

PS I know the 68 didn't have the "Stingray" script on the fender. That was added by the first owner, I guess to look newer?
True.i try not to be too judgmental before knowing all the facts.That being said,most of us have done a lot of dumb stuff in our youth,and been lucky enough to survive our "lapses in judgment". This driver may have done something incredibly "dumb". No doubt speed was just ONE factor.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Default Confess to another one X2

You know, I wonder if someone could have pulled out in front of Mr. "Speed Racer." It's much harder these days to screw up, unlike the old days when one needed to have skills. (ABS, Active Handling, Electronic Rear Differential, Cutting edge tires) My 68 427 I purchased in 1969 had nothing, yet somehow I managed to keep her on the road/track, unscathed. And yes back then she saw 150 on the speedo many times on the hi way, "The good Ole Days." One thing different was I lived in the out back, and there was much less traffic. Youth has the misconception that they are invincible, I never considered what would have happened had a deer jumped out while traveling at a buck fifty...

PS I know the 68 didn't have the "Stingray" script on the fender. That was added by the first owner, I guess to look newer?
I had a Blue 68 427 Convertible in 1969. Back then the Dulles access road between Wash DC and the "far-out" airport was like empty. I did 120 something on it with room to climb. No one was around at the time.

And 100+ for a long long stretch on the Interstate en-route to FL in a C4. That was like 1 or 2AM. Mostly following others, none of which is an excuse. Them days are over.

Yeah your 1st owner was updating it to a 69.

Last edited by cor28vettes; 12-09-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

If you are referring to those brown blobs in picture #2; I couldn't/wouldn't say what that really is. Could just as easily been, what fell out of his pants when lifted onto the stretcher.
just an observation.dont ask me how i would know.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:19 PM
BadUmp
Team Owner

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Anything is possible, and with the quick response of these animals if the driver made the slightest of over steer it could have been as we see disastrous.

About doing a buck 50 on the open roads, I'd venture a guess that if you'd hit a deer you'd probably have never know about it.

I gave up driving at high speeds many moons ago after taking an extended ride pursuing a guy at 140+ in a nice riding, handling ****'n & gett'n Ford. The next morning when my baby daughters crying woke me, I had a real wake up call..... and that was the end of that crap!

Glad you're still with us to contribute to the dialogue.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:33 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll believe the driver lived when I read it in a verified news report. In looking at the wreckage (the car was torn into pieces) I don't see how anyone could survive.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 100+ mph crash

Old 12-09-2014, 07:54 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,076 Likes on 595 Posts

Wow! What a bunch of idiots! I really feel bad for the guy in th snow. Why did no one try to help push him off the road?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depends on how you define "substantiation"

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Where is there any substantiation that "the driver lived"?
Not that I can find. The OP's source is someone on Reddit (OP's link) who goes by the handle "Crawlerado" who claims the photos came from his "buddy", the tow truck driver and links to this.

I'm more skeptical and as I said, until I see a report verified by an actual reporter, I will believe no one survived.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:00 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Wow! What a bunch of idiots! I really feel bad for the guy in th snow. Why did no one try to help push him off the road?
????snow?

Quick Reply: C7 100+ mph crash