Sponsored by:

CD player

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
The Sea
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CD player

I just bought a 2016 coupe and it does not have a cd player. Now, I do not have a mp3 player or an IPod but was thinking maybe a portable CD player may work..

Jerry in Minnesoeta
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

My most recent computer build doesn't have a CD player, but I do have an external that plugs into a USB. When I get a chance I'll try it and let you know.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Dads dream
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I know the mp3 player works....cd player .....never tried. ....but like to know how to....
Old 02-16-2016, 12:07 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Get an SD card and an SD card reader, (you might have one from a camera)then put all your CD's on the SD card.

Then all you need to do is plug the card reader into the USB slot then push the Media button and all of your songs will come up.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:16 PM
Dads dream
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bob guzzy
Get an SD card and an SD card reader, (you might have one from a camera)then put all your CD's on the SD card.

Then all you need to do is plug the card reader into the USB slot then push the Media button and all of your songs will come up.
FYI I copied cd music to a thumb drive.....then tried playing in my C7 USB port....no luck with that.....I'm sure there is a way to do this ....I'm not savy enough to figure this out. Cd player with the right cord would be great.....but like Jerry I don't know what cord I need...
Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

It's my understanding that the 2016 does not have an SD card reader in the center console to read music from...

I have a 2015 and have the center console SD card slot and it works like a charm. I need to try to see if I can get it to read mp3s from a USB port so that I can recommend or not recommend using it for the 2016 owners.

Last edited by lakemg; 02-16-2016 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Edwards, (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I suggested a portable CD player here once, someone got one and said it didn't work. I have a 2016 and got a mini USB drive, put my music on it and plugged it into the port behind the screen. You just have to select USB as the input and it works great. This is the USB drive I got:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46) [Older Version]: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46) [Older Version]: Computers & Accessories

I have a lot of music, so you could get one sized for your collection.

Last edited by Rooster OG; 02-16-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:37 PM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by The Sea
I just bought a 2016 coupe and it does not have a cd player. Now, I do not have a mp3 player or an IPod but was thinking maybe a portable CD player may work..
Jerry in Minnesoeta
You have to order chrome wheels and chrome badges, then all from 8 track to CD will work.

Sorry just having fun, At first I also missed my cd player. Now like not having CDs flying around getting all scratched up. MP3 is the way to go
The following 2 users liked this post by 360Lemans:
Boucherman (02-19-2016), Mobil 1 (02-22-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I don't know what to say...

You can buy a 2016 Corvette, and yet you don't know how to use a iPod? How is that possible? Do you still use pay phones? lol

Seriously, you can use a USB, or any type of media player. Do yourself a favor, and try not to use the MP3 format. And when you rip the CD to your computer, try to use the highest sampling rate that you can. .Wav or FLac files are the most faithful to the source material, with the downside being large file size.

(sorry but all of that probably went over your head...)
Glen e (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 12:50 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Nope, sorry Boss, couldn't get it to read from the USB ports in the console, and you can't work the screen if your plugged into the USB port behind the screen, the device is too big to close it.
Maybe someone else a little bit more tech savvy than me can do it, but I tried.
I think a thumb drive is the answer, good luck
Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM
pat321
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Save everything to your phone and use Bluetooth.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:37 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads dream
FYI I copied cd music to a thumb drive.....then tried playing in my C7 USB port....no luck with that.....I'm sure there is a way to do this ....I'm not savy enough to figure this out. Cd player with the right cord would be great.....but like Jerry I don't know what cord I need...
You probably 'copied' the files direct. Convert them to MP3s and then copy them to a USB drive before you stick it in the C7. You can use Windows Media Player, iTunes or something like this - https://sourceforge.net/projects/bonkenc/

I don't mean it in a derogatory manner, but this is like explaining things to my parents lol. They take it literally when I tell them to copy something. I'm sure in 30 years, I might have kids that try to teach me about the latest and greatest too haha.

Last edited by graj6; 02-16-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Dads dream (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 01:51 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

To much like work.Many of us would just stick A tape in something and head on down the road.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Use a Zip Drive

Originally Posted by The Sea

Jerry in Minnesoeta
I have a 2016 Z51, 2LT coupe also. There are a couple of articles in the forum that tell you how to use a flash drive to transfer your CD's to it. When done, it will work in the USB ports in the console, or behind the screen.
The basics are as follows: I am using a 16GIG drive , and already have about 130 CD albums on it, with plenty of room left.

Insert a CD into your computer drive (I have windows)
Go to your Windows Media Player
Click Music
Below that you will see the CD album that you have inserted into your computer drive:
Double click that
Above you will see RIP CD
Click that and set to automatically rip CD's
Click Rip settings and check MP3 format and audio quality of 192Kbps
You hardly notice any decrease in the quality of the sound, in your car with these settings
This will get your CD copied into your windows Media Player
Remove your CD from the computer and insert a blank flash drive into your usb port on the computer
On the computer screen, click Start, then Computer. Double click the flash drive icon. Go to the media player and Right click Music. The CD's that you have in there will show. Right click the one you want to transfer to your flash drive, and click Copy. Go back and right click Music on the flash drive, and click Paste. Seconds later it's done, and on your flash drive, which you can then play in your car.

I'm sure that this seemed pretty long winded, but it worked for me with the help of others on this forum. I'm also sure that if I left something out, or wasn't clear, that someone more knowledgeable about these things will chime in.

Good Luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Kfmorgan:
mikez06 (02-16-2016), rous44 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 02:02 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you Kfmorgan. Some of us have no clue what the terms even meant!
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

this is true---my Dad once told me he had a '57 Ford with an actual record player(turntable) mounted under the front dash & was a factory installed option. So I guess we've come a pretty long way...
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thrilled
To much like work.Many of us would just stick A tape in something and head on down the road.
Like an 8 Track......that you copied off your Teac reel-to-reel.....that you copied off your vinyl albums, that you played only once to copy it to your reel-to-reel.
Then you put your albums away and threatened anybody who even pick them up to look at the album cover.

Too many media choices in our short life times.

Last edited by L8ter; 02-16-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CD player

Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez06
You are right , and I am one of those digitally challenged people. If it weren't for the forum, and my son to show me how to do it, I would still be without music in the car.
mikez06 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I don't know what to say...

You can buy a 2016 Corvette, and yet you don't know how to use a iPod? How is that possible? Do you still use pay phones? lol

Seriously, you can use a USB, or any type of media player. Do yourself a favor, and try not to use the MP3 format. And when you rip the CD to your computer, try to use the highest sampling rate that you can. .Wav or FLac files are the most faithful to the source material, with the downside being large file size.

(sorry but all of that probably went over your head...)
Unfortunately, neither of those file formats are supported on a USB drive in the C7, at least according to the '15 Infotainment manual, page 20.

On the other hand, .Mp3s, if ripped at a fairly high bit rate, like 256 or 320K, while losing some sound quality, is not noticeably degraded in the acoustic environment of the C7 interior. This is a fairly noisy sports car, not a recording studio.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:50 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez06
You got that right.Many of us don't have computers now.I have an iPad,
Can't hook nothing to it
Maybe they should sell sticks with music preloaded on them.

Quick Reply: CD player