Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap front camera

Old 07-15-2016, 03:30 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
Anyone familiar with Zero Edge Technology Z-Edge Z3?
Am thinking about this camera.
That camera is designed to be used as a dash cam. This thread has been used for Curb Cams for 2014-2015 C7s.
The following users liked this post:
jaki30 (07-16-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 03:33 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredl11
Put it to the test morning.
Worked great

I also ran mine differently. I put the transmitter inside under the glove compartment

I ran the wires from camera along passanger side underneath fender

Then under rubber and taped over

Removed moulding and ran wires underneath and and behind portion of moulding under the glove compartment

The heat of engine compartment had me concerned

Nice job.
So the problem was the camera?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:02 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default You know

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
Nice job.
So the problem was the camera?
I think it might have been one of the power cords. Might have been the transmitter one as one was different then the other 2. I used the one that arrived with the second camera.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:16 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 531 Posts

anyone know about the wiring on the factory cameras? I bought a set and it has 5 wires, and I want to connect it to my navtool. not sure what each wire is for
Old 07-15-2016, 11:27 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Let us know how it works.

On another note...
I purchased a CHEAP Android phone to use in the dash cubby as a permanent monitor. It was a whopping $19 at Best Buy. The big problem is since I don't have it on a Cell Network (it's burner phone), it keeps asking me to setup one. Anyone know how to defeat this?

Also does anyone here know if the USB Port in the Cubby is live all the time or does it shut down after a certain amount of time? I want to leave the phone connected but don't want it to be running ALL the time when the cars just sitting in the garage

By the way...the Phone Stand we listed in this thread is perfect. Fits great and you can adjust the angle to whatever you like.

The power in the cubby shuts down after a minute or so. As far as the setup screen, you need to determine which version of Android the phone is running, and then Google is your friend. The Android phone I bought is running Lollipop, and it was pretty easy to figure out how to make it work the way I wanted it to by searching. The latest Android OS is Marshmallow.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredl11
I think it might have been one of the power cords. Might have been the transmitter one as one was different then the other 2. I used the one that arrived with the second camera.
Good to see you finally got it up and running!
Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM
alexsoo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Found a front camera for 10 without mirror. Will order it today.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C58TW12...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexsoo
Found a front camera for 10 without mirror. Will order it today.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C58TW12...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I noticed that this cam doesn't have a distance grid. Not having a distance grid makes it very hard to judge the distance unless the camera is tilted down enough to see the front fang.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

I'm using a cheap Android Phone that I'm leaving in the Cubby. Since I only need to have the Camera App, Wifi App and Google Store on the phone does anyone know which apps I can delete to help speed-up the start up process.

Every time I start the phone I have to go through this long drawn out procedure because I don't have the phone connected to any cellular phone service.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:00 AM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by red 1
I did have to take the camera apart it's very simple and remove a trace inside so the image would not be reversed, it comes set up as a backup camera.
So when you say you took the camera apart....what exactly did you do to reverse the image from the backup camera? Do you have any instructions / photos?
Old 07-27-2016, 12:04 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tweedy
So when you say you took the camera apart....what exactly did you do to reverse the image from the backup camera? Do you have any instructions / photos?
Unfortunately the supplier changed cameras, so this is a non-issue. Now you either put up with a mirror image, or buy a different camera.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:12 AM
Tweedy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by zbrett
Unfortunately the supplier changed cameras, so this is a non-issue. Now you either put up with a mirror image, or buy a different camera.
I have the same camera as red1 originally installed, just wondering what "trace" he cut inside to flip the image.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:11 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tweedy
I have the same camera as red1 originally installed, just wondering what "trace" he cut inside to flip the image.
Inside mine had a carbon trace that said mirror that I scraped away and it reversed the image, The second camera I received was different inside and had no capability to reverse.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:37 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

If you are installing this on an older Corvette and can't find a power source in the engine compartment that switches on and off with the ignition, here is an inexpensive alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TW0KN2
Don't buy the LVD above from Amazon. First, it is a pain in the butt to find a case to fit it in. Second, the highest disconnect voltage is too low and while I think it would take forever for the wi-fi unit and camera to drain your battery, at the highest disconnect setting, you stand a chance of deep-cycling your battery. I should have done more homework before I bought it...

Instead, I found this very nice InPower VCM-06 unit. Pricey, but works exactly how you need it to work and it takes up very little space. The unit disconnects the power when the voltage drops below 12.8v or however long you set the timer. I have mine set to turn the power off immediately. No issues.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/8003...e-Disconnect-/
Old 08-20-2016, 11:07 AM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

I discovered an additional capability of the wi-fi transmitter unit that I wasn't aware of. It can communicate with more than one phone or other wi-fi device at the same time. I'm guessing it is capable of handing out up to 254 IP addresses. Not sure what practical application this has, but anyone in the car or closeby can log in and watch the road go by at the same time.

Last edited by zbrett; 08-20-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:13 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

I discovered an additional capability of the wi-fi transmitter unit that I wasn't aware of. It can communicate with more than one phone or other wi-fi device at the same time. I'm guessing it is capable of handing out up to 254 IP addresses. Not sure what practical application this has, but anyone in the car or closeby can log in and watch the road go by at the same time.
My wife says when I drive with the Cubby open watching the curb cam makes her nauseous. So now, we can make strangers sick too. Is that the benefit?

P.S. I'm not real crazy about using the cheap Android Burner Phone I bought. Even when its in airplane mode it take a long time to get to the main app screen as opposed to the iPhone that takes no time at all.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:30 PM
zbrett
Burning Brakes

My wife says when I drive with the Cubby open watching the curb cam makes her nauseous. So now, we can make strangers sick too. Is that the benefit?

P.S. I'm not real crazy about using the cheap Android Burner Phone I bought. Even when its in airplane mode it take a long time to get to the main app screen as opposed to the iPhone that takes no time at all.
The BLU android phone I bought from Amazon works great. But it's $60. I've been using it in my other car as well. No complaints.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap front camera

Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

I could never get the Curb Alert aimed correctly and was planning to remove it anyway. This is great alternative, especially since I already have a mount for my iPhone.

I have 3 alerts, 2 on my Hyundai Sonnata and just one on the Corvette so far.
The reason I have 2 on the Hyundai is that just detecting the curb isn't all you need, you also need to be able to detect a car or whatever is going to hit your bumper. If that's what you want to call them now. I've been putting off the second one for the Corvette until I get the first one calibrated right. You are always wondering if It's going to work or not.
I have just one on the Corvette and sometimes it picks up and sometimes it doesn't and they are very sensitive to direct sunlight but you get used to that.
I've been wanting to go with a camera on the front myself. I'd like to view it in the rearview mirror but hate to take out the probably very expensive factory mirror so I guess I'm going to do the monitor thing with 2 cameras myself with the toggle switch. Very good Idea and not much money. Just have to find a good place for the monitor of the right size.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:33 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rabbitman

I have 3 alerts, 2 on my Hyundai Sonnata and just one on the Corvette so far.
The reason I have 2 on the Hyundai is that just detecting the curb isn't all you need, you also need to be able to detect a car or whatever is going to hit your bumper. If that's what you want to call them now. I've been putting off the second one for the Corvette until I get the first one calibrated right. You are always wondering if It's going to work or not.
I have just one on the Corvette and sometimes it picks up and sometimes it doesn't and they are very sensitive to direct sunlight but you get used to that.
I've been wanting to go with a camera on the front myself. I'd like to view it in the rearview mirror but hate to take out the probably very expensive factory mirror so I guess I'm going to do the monitor thing with 2 cameras myself with the toggle switch. Very good Idea and not much money. Just have to find a good place for the monitor of the right size.
I find that there is NOTHING better than actually seeing what's in front of my Vette when I park. The WiFi cam is an inexpensive way to go have piece of mind when parking. I have mine aimed just slightly down so that I can see the car in front of me as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

thanks for sharing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap front camera