Sponsored by:

C7 A/C not cold enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

The AC will work MUCH better in hot weather when set to recirculation mode. Recirc doesn't completely cut outside air but it greatly reduces the amount and thus the load on the cooling system.

When coming into a superheated car (inside temp far higher than outside ambient) the AC system will cool much more quickly if you put the windows down for a short time to quickly shed the extra heat.

In stop and go/low speed driving staying in lower gears longer will keep the engine RPM up where the compressor is in a more effective operating range. With the auto for long lights shifting to neutral will help slightly and reduce transmission heating.

Even without the transparent roof (which I have) the Corvette has a lot of glass with a big windshield and rear hatch so think of it as a stylish and cool version of the much mocked AMC Pacer

Last edited by NSC5; 07-07-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
The AC will work MUCH better in hot weather when set to recirculation mode. Recirc doesn't completely cut outside air but it greatly reduces the amount and thus the load on the cooling system.

When coming into a superheated car (inside temp far higher than outside ambient) the AC system will cool much more quickly if you put the windows down for a short time to quickly shed the extra heat.

In stop and go/low speed driving staying in lower gears longer will keep the engine RPM up where the compressor is in a more effective operating range. With the auto for long lights shifting to neutral will help slightly and reduce transmission heating.

Even without the transparent roof (which I have) the Corvette has a lot of glass with a big windshield and rear hatch so think of it as a stylish and cool version of the much mocked AMC Pacer
Good point. I have noted better cooling with recirc on, and that includes 120 and above.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:53 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Thought it has auto recirculate?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Four thoughts:

1) The heat that comes in from the transparent top is significant. If it is sunny out the heat added to the passenger compartment while sitting or driving can be very high. If you have the transparent top, on those days that you know it is going to be hot and sunny install one of the suction cup mounted headliners onto the inside of the transparent top to reduce the heat gain. RPI Designs sells two different liners. I bought the more expensive of the two and am VERY happy with the look and the fit.

2) The maximum start up fan speed can be adjusted in the settings. If I remember correctly there is a High, Medium, and Low setting. It is designed to help keep the fan speed at a reasonable noise level. Obviously if the fan is running slower than it needs to be you won't receive the maximum cooling when you first start up the car and need it most. If it isn't already at High try it there for a few days and see if that improves your temperature control.

3) If you have ventillated seats they can help some too. For maximum effect try manually adjusting the AC to bi-level to get cold air blowing along the floor to the fan under the seat.

4) Make sure you have SYNCh'd the temperature that you desire with the passenger's setpoint if no one is in the vehicle with you. This should help to keep the controls and the system at their most efficient setting.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:25 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7s
Thought it has auto recirculate?
It will use recirculation in auto mode WHEN it thinks it needs to however it attempts to cool with minimal recirculation and you will get much faster response in most situations selecting recirculation manually. Recirculation in auto mode is a response to inability to cool sufficiently and under most conditions it won't engage this feature until it has already let the passenger compartment get warmer than desired.

The only negative I found to often using manual recirculation was when the car was new (mine is now just over 3 months old with 3,000 miles on it) the new material fumes inside were overwhelming but that has thankfully gone away now.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:26 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I find that if I take it off "auto" mode, and turn the fan all the way up at the 70 degree setting, it blows me out of the car even at temps far beyond 100 degrees....
Old 07-07-2016, 06:48 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Twisted Swifter
3) If you have ventillated seats they can help some too. For maximum effect try manually adjusting the AC to bi-level to get cold air blowing along the floor to the fan under the seat.
Just tried it. 104 in AZ. Hit the recirculate button, pushed the bi-level button and the car cooled off much quicker. And the vented seats produced a cooler air floor. Certainly not COLD, but improved.

I still think there is a noticeable difference between the C7 and the C5/C6.

The following users liked this post:
JST4PLA (07-30-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 07:07 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

With all the windows tinted and a windshield UV/IR rejection coating, my car was vastly improved. Before all that I was constantly fiddling with fan speeds. Now I just leave it on auto and temp at 70F. I'm in south Florida with 96F average highs and the car sitting in the sun as I leave work.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:34 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

The C7 is the only car I've owned that I haven't seen use recirculating mode when it's set to "auto". It's very odd to me that I have to switch to manual mode to get the recirc function to work.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I had the outside sensor crap out on me and replaced and the air works fine down here in FLA.
Mick14 (08-22-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 08:42 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

The ac in my 2016 vert is excellent. 95 degrees yesterday and I was actually cold. I set the temp to "lo" and auto and within a minute it's feeling good. I could see how the transparent top of a coupe would bake the occupants but otherwise not sure why anyone wouldn't feel cold .
Old 07-08-2016, 08:58 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
The C7 is the only car I've owned that I haven't seen use recirculating mode when it's set to "auto". It's very odd to me that I have to switch to manual mode to get the recirc function to work.
It is possible the recirc annunciator light may not come on when recirc is commanded under automatic climate control so you may not know when recirc is being used under auto. I expect that auto, instead of going to max recirc, probably dynamically varies the blend between cabin/outside air so it isn't an "on/off" behavior but instead a continuum under full auto. I think the indicator is just for noting manual operation.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:06 AM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

My C7 a/c indeed does not seem to cool as well as my C6 or C5 did. I use "auto" and leave it on 72, as it was designed to be used. This method worked great in the prior two cars, a marvel of HVAC engineering that I often bragged about.

The C7 a/c has worked noticeably better since I went into the Vehicle Settings and bumped the Auto Fan Speed up to high. At this setting, it works well enough that I can leave it on auto at 72.
beaversstonehaven (09-06-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,712 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
Feels to me the C7 windshield generates more heat than our previous two C6's and two C5's. All driven in the same AZ sunshine. Not just me. My wife made the same observation.

I kept my C5's and 6's around 72. I have to set the C7 to 68 for the same comfort.

Maybe our imaginations, but just a thought.

Check out the Llumar Air line of window films. I went with Air 90 on my windshield and it makes a noticeable difference.

http://www.llumar.com/choose-a-produ...r-window-films

With that on the windshield, plus Llumar Ceramatix 30% on the sides and back, my A/C has no problem cooling the cabin after it's been sitting outside in the sun, or keeping the cabin cool on a drive.

Last edited by Kracka; 07-08-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Hoonose (07-08-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sglander
Dealer tells me it is within spec. Guess I'll just have to set the dial low! 😎
More glass, thinner glass (to save weight) Carbon Fiber parts (thinner, lighter) means more heat will get through. Begs the question as to whether or not there is some kind of clear UV film for the windshield that can cut temps and the harmful UV rays while staying legal.

Even with the best tint on the market and a sunshade, after sitting in 100 degree heat in the sun for half a day, getting into the car it's still about 140 inside (as opposed to 160, big woop).

After the first 5 minutes of driving make sure the A/C is also on recirculation. The vette's should automatically do that I believe but I could be wrong. I'm more familiar with the C5..
Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

No issue here, auto to 72 and it's fine. I do have tinted windows but never had an issue before the tint.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:30 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Originally Posted by 95bat
Same for me as well. Our Lexus will freeze you to death set at 68 degrees, the Corvette on the lowest setting doesn't get nearly as cold.

I've notice it is even worse when the car has sat outside. Here's a scenario:

It is 100 degrees outside. I leave the house (car parked in the garage) and the AC blows very comfortably until I reach my destination. Let's say I'm driving 10 miles to Best Buy to gawk at the new TVs. After drooling over 80" televisions in 4k HDR for 30 minutes, I return to my car to head home. It is still 100 degrees outside. However, the AC, with the same settings, doesn't get nearly as cold as before. It can take 10+ minutes to get as cold as before, sometimes more if I'm driving slowly in the city with 30 mph speed limits and plenty of stop lights.

Comparatively, the same exact scenario in the Lexus, getting back in the car after leaving Best Buy and the AC will be ice cold in under 2 minutes.
It's all about how much air is getting through to the engine bay. Getting stuck in traffic, the A/C is going to struggle. Get out on an open road for 10 minutes, and you should be freezing your *** off.
billiam01 (08-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 A/C not cold enough?

Old 07-08-2016, 09:38 AM
CriticalmassGT
Pro

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
That's all I use during the summer except for the first 5 minutes. During that short time I run with the windows down and outside air coming in. An A/C is only designed to cool air temps by 20-30 degrees. When you turn on re-circulation is it cooling down already cooled air. So temps drop a lot faster and stay there.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
Check out the Llumar Air line of window films. I went with Air 90 on my windshield and it makes a noticeable difference.

http://www.llumar.com/choose-a-produ...r-window-films

With that on the windshield, plus Llumar Ceramatix 30% on the sides and back, my A/C has no problem cooling the cabin after it's been sitting outside in the sun, or keeping the cabin cool on a drive.
I have similar at home. In a car it makes so much sense. Dark windows look cool, but for us pedestrians it is more dangerous crossing streets when you can't see the driver.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

To maximize the cool, I just recycle the cabin air if its extremely hot outside. Works fine!
joemessman (07-22-2016)

Quick Reply: C7 A/C not cold enough?