Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Paint Defect Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:23 PM
JGreen
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Another Paint Defect Thread

I know there are several posts regarding paint defects on the forum. I am one of the lucky ones with the paint adhesion failing between the bumper and fender on my 600 mile Grand Sport. I have seen many fixes (touch up paint, dealer removal of bumper to paint, new factory painted bumper shipped to dealer from BG, and 1 case of a replacement car). My question is, what is GM's stance on the repair? Mine is similar to several others I have seen on the forum, but I do not understand the varying repairs that I believe were under warranty. So again, my question is what is the standard GM response when these warranty claims come in? If there is a GM rep on the forum, please weigh in.

Thanks

Driver side bumper/fender.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:34 PM
JGreen
Racer

I should also mention, I have full confidence the dealer I bought it from will make it right.
The following users liked this post:
806-Corvette (04-26-2018)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I've been following these posts too and have read that GM has began sending out replacement bumpers already painted to fix this problem. This would be my preference for the repair.
The following 2 users liked this post by lgodom:
806-Corvette (04-26-2018), dachtler (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:07 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,395 Likes on 999 Posts

This is NOT a paint issue. This is a bumper fitment issue. It will continue to happen until someone does the simple job adjusting the bumper down a little by using the bolts at the headlight.

What is happening is the panels are flexing and rubbing on each other. It's an easy adjustment, I had to do it after pulling my bumper off for mods.
chillaxtodamax (03-18-2018)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 PM
JGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
This is NOT a paint issue. This is a bumper fitment issue. It will continue to happen until someone does the simple job adjusting the bumper down a little by using the bolts at the headlight.

What is happening is the panels are flexing and rubbing on each other. It's an easy adjustment, I had to do it after pulling my bumper off for mods.
I respectfully disagree...there is an issue with several brand new or extremely low mileage cars which manifests itself by the paint flaking off the car. I am not insinuating that the root cause of the issue is the paint or the painting process, I am simply saying that there is an issue that is causing the paint to flake off my 600 mile car. Whether it is a simple "install a zip tie as a shim" fix, or another modification is up to the dealer and General Motors to decide. I, for one, refuse to take ownership of an apparent manufacturing defect by attempting a repair myself.
The following 2 users liked this post by JGreen:
806-Corvette (04-26-2018), bjones7131 (04-13-2018)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM
dachtler
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
I've been following these posts too and have read that GM has began sending out replacement bumpers already painted to fix this problem. This would be my preference for the repair.
I have the exact same issue with my 17 GS. I'll contact my dealer to see about the pre-painted replacement bumper option. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 111 Posts

I had the same on my 2014, dealer made it right
Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JGreen
I respectfully disagree...there is an issue with several brand new or extremely low mileage cars which manifests itself by the paint flaking off the car. I am not insinuating that the root cause of the issue is the paint or the painting process, I am simply saying that there is an issue that is causing the paint to flake off my 600 mile car. Whether it is a simple "install a zip tie as a shim" fix, or another modification is up to the dealer and General Motors to decide. I, for one, refuse to take ownership of an apparent manufacturing defect by attempting a repair myself.
You may disagree but it is the truth. Not a paint quality. My point is, this is not "another paint defect thread", it is a panel fitment thread that happens to damage paint.

Didn't say you had to do it yourself to fix it. Just an easy fix. Just saying I've had to as a result of pulling the bumper off for other issues.

In the end, what I am trying to convey here is:

Don't tell the dealership there is a paint issue and they need to replace the bumper, tell them the bumper is flaking because it is rubbing on the fender

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-20-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:53 PM
JGreen
Racer

You may disagree but it is the truth. Not a paint quality. My point is, this is not "another paint defect thread", it is a panel fitment thread that happens to damage paint.

Didn't say you had to do it yourself to fix it. Just an easy fix. Just saying I've had to as a result of pulling the bumper off for other issues.

In the end, what I am trying to convey here is:

Don't tell the dealership there is a paint issue and they need to replace the bumper, tell them the bumper is flaking because it is rubbing on the fender
You are assuming all of these defects are the same. As the consumer, I have paint flaking off my car. Period. It needs to be corrected. If the dealer and/or GM decide just to paint it and the defect happens again, I will take it back to them and inform them that the paint is flaking off my car again and they need to correct it. I don't disagree that it could be a panel alignment issue, but I have not viewed the paint process FMEA and/or root cause analysis of the other failures. GM quality and engineering teams have. I'll let them decide on the repair, and hold them responsible until it is repaired correctly (which I have no doubt they will).
Old 06-20-2017, 04:54 PM
JGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by smajicek
I had the same on my 2014, dealer made it right
What was the correction they performed?
Old 06-20-2017, 04:57 PM
JGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by lgodom
It would be interesting to know how many occurrences have been reported to GM, and if a TSB has been created to inform dealers how to address. Some dealers (mine included) are not aware of the failures. Mine will be the first they address. Why recreate the wheel if a standard fix has been approved and authorized by GM?
Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JGreen
You are assuming all of these defects are the same. As the consumer, I have paint flaking off my car. Period. It needs to be corrected. If the dealer and/or GM decide just to paint it and the defect happens again, I will take it back to them and inform them that the paint is flaking off my car again and they need to correct it. I don't disagree that it could be a panel alignment issue, but I have not viewed the paint process FMEA and/or root cause analysis of the other failures. GM quality and engineering teams have. I'll let them decide on the repair, and hold them responsible until it is repaired correctly (which I have no doubt they will).
I'd love to save a trip to the dealer and not have my car taken from me a 2nd time. I'm giving you a heads up, just drop it in their ear. You may save some heartache in the future. "it's their problem, let them figure it out" mentality doesn't help if it inconveniences you in the future, you also won't get any benefit from it.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:30 PM
JGreen
Racer

I'd love to save a trip to the dealer and not have my car taken from me a 2nd time. I'm giving you a heads up, just drop it in their ear. You may save some heartache in the future. "it's their problem, let them figure it out" mentality doesn't help if it inconveniences you in the future, you also won't get any benefit from it.
I agree...I don't want anyone to have my car either. My thought is this...whatever the "fix" is, the bumper needs to be removed. If they paint the area...they have to remove it to properly paint the affected area and re-clear the bumper. If they send a replacement bumper, the current needs to be removed and the new installed. This is why I think a TSB would be beneficial. If it is an alignment issue or gap too tight issue, they should adjust at re-installation. I wonder how they align at the factory, and how they recommend aligning at a collision shop (I would assume same dimensions and tolerances).
Old 06-20-2017, 10:51 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Right you are. That is the problem common sense dictates.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 431 Likes on 302 Posts

Not a paint issue?

Don't you find it curious that the same paint damage is not happening on the quarter panel?

Why is the paint peeling off the fascia in areas that in no way contacted the mating surface?

Would not panels rubbing against one another cause a scuffing type wear pattern versus a paint peeling defect?
Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Keppler
Not a paint issue?

Don't you find it curious that the same paint damage is not happening on the quarter panel?

Why is the paint peeling off the fascia in areas that in no way contacted the mating surface?

Would not panels rubbing against one another cause a scuffing type wear pattern versus a paint peeling defect?
I don't find it curious. There are people seeing peeling on the center of a fascia? I didn't know that. I haven't seen that in a thread. I've only seen it where it touches other panels. Composite panels tend to peel at corners due to rubbing. Where the paint is thinner.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 06-20-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:04 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I have the same issue on my '17 GS and GM sent a replacement factory painted fascia. (the dealer had the original touched up, but in parallel a new one was sent, so i'm having the new one installed )

Either way, it's a warranty issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Paint Defect Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Thunder, did they say anything about also adjusting the gap in panels?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Thunder, did they say anything about also adjusting the gap in panels?
They adjusted it slightly, and they said that they had done a few before mine. I will confirm early next week when #2 fascia is installed (the first one was damaged in shipping)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:19 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,750 Likes on 3,172 Posts

Imo everyone is a little right. It's a paint PREP issue combined with a tight gap.

this is usually wjat happened when a **** body shop paints a bumper. It flakes off just like that. And it's from a crap surface prep. It would last longer but the rubbing accelerates the flaking. My gaps are right front and rear and my paint is perfect. The fender vent insert is another issue. But similar. Too right and **** prep.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Paint Defect Thread