Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Paint Defect Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 AM
JGreen
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 34 Posts

As suspected, GM and my dealer are making it right. Got a call this weekend that they are sending a new factory painted bumper to the dealer for replacement.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by JGreen
As suspected, GM and my dealer are making it right. Got a call this weekend that they are sending a new factory painted bumper to the dealer for replacement.

Make sure that they order a new badge for the nose, and if you've got the carbon flash badges that they order the correct one.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:53 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

I had same on my 2015, just not as severe, touched up myself.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 AM
dffej511
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Thunder and JGreen, I just noticed that I am having the same paint issue on my 2017 Grand Sport. Can you confirm that you received new painted front bumpers from the factory through your respective Chevy dealers? Do you have the same dealer? My dealer says they have not heard of GM sending new painted bumpers from the factory. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow
This is NOT a paint issue. This is a bumper fitment issue. It will continue to happen until someone does the simple job adjusting the bumper down a little by using the bolts at the headlight.

What is happening is the panels are flexing and rubbing on each other. It's an easy adjustment, I had to do it after pulling my bumper off for mods.
Completely agree. I just had the same thing happen on mine at near 3000 miles on my AW C7.

Funny thing is I am not stressed. I'll just get some touch up paint and move on.

I think every C7 is prone to this and if the conditions line up you will see it happen. I pressed that part of the bumper and noticed it moved a bit so I assume that when driving it may occasionally vibrate depending on the wind or other reasons. Eventually, the paint rubs off.

No big deal to me in that location. Paint chips happen anyway, so I simply consider this no biggie. The car is not going to lose 50% of its value due to this.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I wonder what the chances are of asking for a free touch-up kit and calling it even? I would prefer this over replacing the whole fascia.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:35 PM
JGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by dffej511
Hey Thunder and JGreen, I just noticed that I am having the same paint issue on my 2017 Grand Sport. Can you confirm that you received new painted front bumpers from the factory through your respective Chevy dealers? Do you have the same dealer? My dealer says they have not heard of GM sending new painted bumpers from the factory. Thanks.
My replacement bumper is on order through my local dealer. I do not have a delivery date at this point, which I am OK with knowing that it will be resolved in due time.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM
JGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I wonder what the chances are of asking for a free touch-up kit and calling it even? I would prefer this over replacing the whole fascia.
$80k car - 600 miles - touch up paint? No thank you. If this were my 3 year old VW, touch up paint would suffice...but not on a brand new vette that will see less than 1,500 miles annually. I understand it does not hurt the value, or the performance of the car, but I don't want to explain to people why my brand new vette has a blob of touch up paint in an area that is not likely to be from a stone chip. Personal preference...
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

yes, i got a new factory painted fascia through my dealer and no we dont have the same dealer. Tell your dealer to submit a **** case. This issue is well known at GM/Chevy and they'll send a new factory painted fascia.

This is why i bought from Mike Furman, got a problem? He gets it fixed. And the local service manager at paramus took care of me even though I didn't buy the car there.

I picked it up yesterday, looks great.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:00 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by thirtythird
I don't understand that. IF there's a paint problem on the corners, there could be a paint problem on the entire fascia. It takes under 2 hours to swap out the old for the new, and affix the front badge on the nose. Also, touch up paint will not be as strong as factory painted/cured. Regardless, if there any future problems, it's a warranty problem.

Now all of that being said, if you don't trust the local body shop that your dealer uses that's another consideration.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:02 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JGreen
My replacement bumper is on order through my local dealer. I do not have a delivery date at this point, which I am OK with knowing that it will be resolved in due time.
It only takes a couple of days.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:40 PM
dffej511
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Thunder22
yes, i got a new factory painted fascia through my dealer and no we dont have the same dealer. Tell your dealer to submit a **** case. This issue is well known at GM/Chevy and they'll send a new factory painted fascia.

This is why i bought from Mike Furman, got a problem? He gets it fixed. And the local service manager at paramus took care of me even though I didn't buy the car there.

Hey Thunder, what does **** case stand for in your post reply above?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Hey Thunder, what does **** case stand for in your post reply above?
**** Service Parts Assistance
Center
When a part is on backorder and the part is needed, **** will conduct
an extensive search for the part across the United States.

Last edited by Thunder22; 06-29-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 AM
4*CRUIZN
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22

I've got the same problem on my 2017 Grand Sport. I took delivery the end of January, and now have less than 2000 miles. I first noticed the chipping paint in mid-April.
Went to my dealership back then, and they said all they could do was send it to the body shop for touch-up. I declined.
After seeing this, and other related threads, I decided to go back to the dealership this morning. I was told they've seen the issue before, but were unaware of any program or option to get pre-painted parts from the factory. I told them of the details from this thread and they said they will get with GM/Chevy and will let me know what they find out. Now i am anxiously waiting for the reply
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrkirst
I've got the same problem on my 2017 Grand Sport. I took delivery the end of January, and now have less than 2000 miles. I first noticed the chipping paint in mid-April.
Went to my dealership back then, and they said all they could do was send it to the body shop for touch-up. I declined.
After seeing this, and other related threads, I decided to go back to the dealership this morning. I was told they've seen the issue before, but were unaware of any program or option to get pre-painted parts from the factory. I told them of the details from this thread and they said they will get with GM/Chevy and will let me know what they find out. Now i am anxiously waiting for the reply

I can absolutely confirm that I got a factory painted replacement, 2 of them as a matter of fact, because the first one was damaged in shipping.

The head of Quality Control at Bowling Green is aware of this, tell them that..
Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 PM
dffej511
Heel & Toe

My dealer contacted GM/Bowling Green last week and were told that they are very aware of the paint issue on the 2017 C7s and are currently trying to come up with a solution that will be satisfactory with all parties (owners and GM). Sounds like they may have sent out a few repainted front bumpers but stopped as the requests became more numerous. Hopefully all will be handled appropriately and GM will take care of the issue.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

My dealer contacted GM/Bowling Green last week and were told that they are very aware of the paint issue on the 2017 C7s and are currently trying to come up with a solution that will be satisfactory with all parties (owners and GM). Sounds like they may have sent out a few repainted front bumpers but stopped as the requests became more numerous. Hopefully all will be handled appropriately and GM will take care of the issue.
stopped when? I received my 2nd one just last week.

If they truly have stopped, that's unfortunate for those who still have a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Paint Defect Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM
JGreen
Racer

I just received word from the dealer that my bumper cover and emblem just arrived late last week/early this week.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:01 AM
4*CRUIZN
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Latest update: I contacted the body shop manager at the dealership on Friday, as I hadn't heard back from anyone all week. He spoke with his GM rep and was told there was no such program to provide pre-painted fascias.
I once again I mentioned this thread and that others were getting this done for them.
He said he would be glad to track it down further, but could I get him any contacts within GM or Chevy that helped you guys.

So, the ask is: would any of you that had success getting a replacement, pre-painted fascia, mind PM'ing me with the name and contact info of who you worked with. I'll pass it on to the body shop manager. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Latest update: I contacted the body shop manager at the dealership on Friday, as I hadn't heard back from anyone all week. He spoke with his GM rep and was told there was no such program to provide pre-painted fascias.
I once again I mentioned this thread and that others were getting this done for them.
He said he would be glad to track it down further, but could I get him any contacts within GM or Chevy that helped you guys.

So, the ask is: would any of you that had success getting a replacement, pre-painted fascia, mind PM'ing me with the name and contact info of who you worked with. I'll pass it on to the body shop manager. Thanks in advance!
They're bullshitting you, and that's just wrong. I would open a case with chevy customer service and have them call your dealer. I bought my car from Mike Furman and he got this taken care of for me. Just another example of why I bought from him - the buying process is easy, but when something goes wrong, it's good to have a guy with 40 years of experience and relationships within GM/Chevy that he can just pick up the phone to Bowling Green and get **** fixed.

Good luck, I hope they don't jerk you around.

Quick Reply: Another Paint Defect Thread