Added Throttle Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Default Added Throttle Controller

Decided to add a throttle controller to increase the aggressiveness of the gas pedal to throttle body reaction. Since I often drive my Grand Sport in Touring Mode don’t even have the option of using the Sport/Track more aggressive setting. And frankly it is not that much more aggressive. Note although it is on my Grand Sport it fits any C7 and install is the same.

Searched the forum back for several years and there ~hundred posts about how well the Vitesse Throttle Control works. It is also not that expensive. I like the idea that it can easily be set from equal to the OEM sensitivity to much more aggressive.

There were many questions I had that were unanswered in the many posts and even sent several PM’s to posters. However it left several unanswered, like mounting location. A number of folks removed the console top and installed it under the lid. That has a number of shortcomings including the time required to do that and having to lift the lid to adjust the setting and being distracted when looking at the settings.

One poster posted a picture of what I consider and ideal location that was easy to access. Little info accept the pic. The new Vitesse Remote Control uses a click adjust **** so no need to see the display to return to OEM and quickly go back to what I have found to be a good setting for my needs, mid-range Sport 5. That is even more aggressive than the OEM Sport/Track settings. If desired can go more aggressive up to Sport 9.

This is a detailed PDF of my install with many pics: http://netwelding.com/Throttle_Control.pdf

This is NOT the Vitesse controller as they don't provide the data. It is from another car and another adjustable system. The curves however fit what I and most observe with the OEM, what Vitesse states, i.e that setting 4/6 is linear and my observation and comments from posted video's of the aggressive 8/9 setting. Note: these devices do not increase power-it just feels like it!

Great Location to Mount Remote Control. Nothing to Remove, Cable Slips Behind Carpet and Trim. Easy Install.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-11-2017 at 07:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
bbster (08-24-2017), SMT1004 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:12 AM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Very informative, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WGGS
Very informative, thank you.
Thanks, great addition and simple install. Since I often drive in Touring with my Grand Sport I was not even getting the somewhat more aggressive throttle response I was used to for 3 1/2 years with my C7 Z51.

The 2014 did not have mag shocks so I drive it Sport 95% of the time and was used to that somewhat "faster" throttle response. In the Grand Sport, have the steering in Sport setting and NPP for Track setting for all driving modes, but no such option for throttle response. In fact have found the Sport 5 setting even better (faster) than the OEM Sport/Track. Doubt I'll use the much more aggressive 8/9 settings.

Easy to adjust with just a turn of the **** that I have mounted near my right hand if every needed. However have evaluated Sport 5 in a simulated bumper-to-bumper situation (which I seldom have) and it's fine.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:07 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Was asked about warranty issues. Vitesse says no issue as they do not interact with the car's computer like "tunes" that can achieve a quicker throttle response (but are usually fixed, not adjustable.).

The system just changes the Pedal signal so the cars ECU controlling the throttle body gets fooled as if you foot was pushing further than it is! No codes etc if you follow their simple calibration proceedure.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Panhead51
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

My 'default' setting is Sport Mode and controller on 6.... one of the best mods for the $ to date.
The following 2 users liked this post by Panhead51:
Gonzo (09-04-2017), JerryU (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:14 PM
BrookenookZO6
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Installed my Vitesse Controller this afternoon....I didn't even unscrew the gas pedal....just switched out the connectors and tucked in the controller wire and controller all the way to the center console.

Set it to Spo5....really like the response and feel of the throttle now!!

Just from the quick trip and 1st initial test I've taken so far I am pleasantly surprised!!!

Seems the roar of the exhaust and pops and gurgles are even better too ....could be a placebo effect though....

JerryU (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM
HurstSRT
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I plan on getting the "Pedal Commander" for my Vette. I purchased one for my wife's '16 (JK) Jeep Wrangler. These Jeeps are notorious for severe throttle lag. It has 4 main settings and 4 sub settings in each one of the 4 main settings for a total of 16 settings. Its been in the Jeep for about a year now with zero issues. No calibration needed, just plug and forget about it. Has a controller you can mount anywhere so you can adjust on the fly if you wish.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/produ...se-controller/
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I have been running the Vitesse for more than a year in my dd '14 Z51. I run it at 9 100% of the time.
JerryU (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:10 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Love mine. I hated doing Spring Mountain in June without it.
JerryU (08-11-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patches
I have been running the Vitesse for more than a year in my dd '14 Z51. I run it at 9 100% of the time.
Using a setting of SP9 I'm reminded of my first car!

STORY:
Bought a '41 Ford Opera Coupe 1 year before I got my driver's license. Did some customizing-nosed, decked, filled the center grill etc. Had time so ported and relived the '51 Merc flathead it came with, installed copper head gaskets and added three '97s (way too much carburetion!) Did not have enough power to keep up with the OHV engines of the late '50s/early '60s and worse, it burned oil leaving a smoke screen!!

Buddy had a '50 Olds engine with all parts in peach baskets (literally!) Bought it for $10 as I recall! Had the local machine shop check the cylinder bores. After measuring the machinist said, "Should be OK!" OK was not what I wanted so said bore it out for '55 Olds pistons. They did. Assembled it without a manual just using knowledge I learned from reading Hot Rod etc from the time I was ~12. Dad helped a bit but thought it was a waste of money. Was working part time, so my money, did what I wanted! Turned out to be a great learning experience that set the direction for my career (not auto related, but cars have always been my outlet!)

Accelerator

The top of the Olds engine sat about 5 inches higher than the flathead so had the local body shop braze a ~5 inch extension on the throttle pedal linkage arm to clear the block and attached the linkage to the 4 barrel carb. Worked fine but with ~1 1/2 inches of pedal travel it was floored! Bit tricky but great for stop light drags!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-12-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by HurstSRT
I plan on getting the "Pedal Commander" for my Vette. I purchased one for my wife's '16 (JK) Jeep Wrangler. These Jeeps are notorious for severe throttle lag. It has 4 main settings and 4 sub settings in each one of the 4 main settings for a total of 16 settings. Its been in the Jeep for about a year now with zero issues. No calibration needed, just plug and forget about it. Has a controller you can mount anywhere so you can adjust on the fly if you wish.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/produ...se-controller/
These cost more than Vitesse and no reviews. Why did you choose it? I removed my Vitesse because it was causing reduced power episodes. Had to recalibrate it twice on one ride.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM
HurstSRT
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadrogue
These cost more than Vitesse and no reviews. Why did you choose it? I removed my Vitesse because it was causing reduced power episodes. Had to recalibrate it twice on one ride.
I own several Jeeps, two being Wranglers. The '16 Wrangler has a horrible throttle delay. I would say at least twice the delay as the 'vette. I frequent the jeep forum alot. The Pedal Commander is well known amongst the Wrangler JK crowd. Here is some info. Obviously they are Jeep reviews but I would believe it to work equally well on the ' Vette. I have yet to buy one for my car, but I have zero complaints with it in my Wrangler and it's night and day difference. Hopes this helps.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/pedal-commander-1948050.html#/topics/1948050

https://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-pedal-commander-throttle-controller-0717.html

www.amazon.com/Pedal-Commander-throttle-response-controller/dp/B00O827FP4
Roadrogue (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing about that. I've had the Vittesse for more than a year, and no issues. In fact, I've forgotten I've had it. It's set to 5. The car is almost undrivable from a stop without it.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I'd be interested in hearing about that. I've had the Vittesse for more than a year, and no issues. In fact, I've forgotten I've had it. It's set to 5. The car is almost undrivable from a stop without it.
So far no issues. Since the Vitesse has nothing to do with power only Pedal position versus Throttle opening wonder what the issue was? Before I bought, saw a lot of posts. Some had issues with the calibration and when not done properly it did strange things!

I made a sheet in my PDF of the procedure in more detail than the single sheet from Vitesse. The 1st time I tried did not hit the button in the correct sequence and didn't fully understand their XX (xx) lines. Made it sound like you had to look at the numbers, which are the resistance readings at "fully up" and "fully depressed" pedal. The procedure is very simple, too simple for me who tried to overthink what was needed!

No need to record or worry about the numbers, that is all stored and used in their controller.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:24 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
It worked fine for many months then had an episode where it threw a code and went into limp mode. Stopping and restarting the car restored it but not the code. Happened again a bit later so I called and Ahmed (I think that's his name) said to recalibrate it and move the controller out from behind the rug. It worked fine for some more months and then started it again every other ride or so. Recalibrated it each time. Then it did it twice in one day so I pulled it out. If I heard him correctly Ahmed thought it was the pedal and named the code it threw (I forget now which one) and he didn't really offer any solution on his end. Since the pedal works fine without it I've done nothing further and just don't use it, but I miss it.

I'm getting a ported throttle body any day now so I'll see how that feels.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Mine was causing false knock during tuning so I had to disconnect it.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

It worked fine for many months then had an episode where it threw a code and went into limp mode. Stopping and restarting the car restored it but not the code. Happened again a bit later so I called and Ahmed (I think that's his name) said to recalibrate it and move the controller out from behind the rug. It worked fine for some more months and then started it again every other ride or so. Recalibrated it each time. Then it did it twice in one day so I pulled it out. If I heard him correctly Ahmed thought it was the pedal and named the code it threw (I forget now which one) and he didn't really offer any solution on his end. Since the pedal works fine without it I've done nothing further and just don't use it, but I miss it.

I'm getting a ported throttle body any day now so I'll see how that feels.
I had a similar experience with my first Vitesse. I had forgotten it might need recalibration at times. Ultimately I pulled it out when the car started going into limp mode almost every time I drove it. Ordered a new one, and I've only recalibrated it once in the eight months or so I've had it installed.

I don't think anything is really wrong with the one I took out, since I never thought to recalibrate it once I started having the issue. I just had too much going on in life then to mess with it.

I'm happy to have one back in the car again.

Get notified of new replies

To Added Throttle Controller

Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Code problems for me were due to an aging battery (4 years old). On a C6.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Decided to add a throttle controller to increase the aggressiveness of the gas pedal to throttle body reaction. Since I often drive my Grand Sport in Touring Mode don’t even have the option of using the Sport/Track more aggressive setting. And frankly it is not that much more aggressive. Note although it is on my Grand Sport it fits any C7 and install is the same.

Searched the forum back for several years and there ~hundred posts about how well the Vitesse Throttle Control works. It is also not that expensive. I like the idea that it can easily be set from equal to the OEM sensitivity to much more aggressive.

There were many questions I had that were unanswered in the many posts and even sent several PM’s to posters. However it left several unanswered, like mounting location. A number of folks removed the console top and installed it under the lid. That has a number of shortcomings including the time required to do that and having to lift the lid to adjust the setting and being distracted when looking at the settings.

One poster posted a picture of what I consider and ideal location that was easy to access. Little info accept the pic. The new Vitesse Remote Control uses a click adjust **** so no need to see the display to return to OEM and quickly go back to what I have found to be a good setting for my needs, mid-range Sport 5. That is even more aggressive than the OEM Sport/Track settings. If desired can go more aggressive up to Sport 9.

This is a detailed PDF of my install with many pics: http://netwelding.com/Throttle_Control.pdf

This is NOT the Vitesse controller as they don't provide the data. It is from another car and another adjustable system. The curves however fit what I and most observe with the OEM, what Vitesse states, i.e that setting 4/6 is linear and my observation and comments from posted video's of the aggressive 8/9 setting. Note: these devices do not increase power-it just feels like it!

Great Location to Mount Remote Control. Nothing to Remove, Cable Slips Behind Carpet and Trim. Easy Install.

After reading your PDF, you may have issues. I have read other posts where Vitesse themselves said not to put the controller behind the carpet there because it might over heat? Has that changed with the redesign?
Old 09-03-2017, 09:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by falconhulk
After reading your PDF, you may have issues. I have read other posts where Vitesse themselves said not to put the controller behind the carpet there because it might over heat? Has that changed with the redesign?
Have no issues, it works fine! Read ~100 posts about the product before I purchased and MOST put the controller behind the carpet! When you read the details in my 7 page PDF you'll see I did NOT put it where many did, which was next to the hotter area, the aluminum clutch/driveshaft tunnel. Some mounted the remote in the console and needed to mount the controller next to the driveshaft tunnel because of the supplied wire length. I did not need the extra length.

As noted, I tried to mount the controller above the carpet in the front but could not get the Velcro or 3M Dual Lock adhesive (which is better) to hold sufficiently to the plastic interior part outside just above the front carpet. That material is cool as it is insulated and has a gap from the firewall, not like the hot aluminum driveshaft tunnel. Looked and placed it 80% behind the carpet sticking up a bit with a gap around it. Cool enough IMO. If needed I would put a short screw in the plastic and let it hang!

Yep read a few posts where Vitesse suggested mounting outside to "possibly correct a problem." Perhaps that was their issue but from my experience it is not as easy to calibrate unless you follow their simple, cryptic instructions very carefully. That is why I make a more detailed set of calibration instructions. There were posts that said it did not work until it was properly calibrated! Frankly it's so easy that I think some just don't push the one button at the proper time. I didn't at first! I was reading and recording the numbers in the display, which is not only unnecessary, it's meaningless! The controller records what is needed and you can't do anything with the numbers!

DETAILS FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

IMO, I am back to the throttle response I had with my 2014 Z51 for 3 1/2 years where I always drove, in Sport. Did not have mag shocks so no affect on ride. Looking at the table in the 2014 Owner's Manual the throttle response in Sport was equal to Track. Both the most aggressive.

In the Grand Sport I drive in Touring as Sport is a stiffer ride than my 2014. The 2017 has four (not three) throttle response settings. Weather, very slow, Touring Slow, Sport more aggressive and Track the fastest. Have tried those Mode settings and in Track the ride rattles your teeth! I'd estimate with my 4 or 5 Vitesse setting, I'm about at the OEM Sport or Track setting.

Did not have mag shocks in my C6 Z51 but had a control **** with 3 variable shock settings on my 1993 40th Anniversary Vette. Realize that was not mag shocks but stiffness and control did change. Even the stiffest setting was no where near as stiff as what the current Sport or Track Modes provide. There are other benefits to mag shocks but IMO Track is just that for Tracking unless you play with the wet Track settings etc.

I'm happy where I have it set now: Steering in Sport whatever the Drive Mode setting, NPP is set at Track for all Modes and now Throttle response when in Touring is what I was used to for 3 1/2 years in my 2014 Z51 driving in Sport or Track!

Last edited by JerryU; 09-03-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Added Throttle Controller