Sponsored by:

Nail in run flat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Gk1359
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
I have a nail in the tread area of a front tire. I've read many posts here that it can be patched/plugged from the inside. I've called Michelin and GM. Both said this is true. Called Discount tire today (two locations) and they tell me a run flat can not be repaired. (company Policy)
Can anyone clear this up for me? It's just a small screw. I don't track the car, it's a weekend driver. 2017 base Stingray.

Thanks
I took mine to Goodyear, no problem cost about $35.00
Old 02-21-2018, 10:52 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Had my RF tire with a small screw in middle of tire tread plugged at a local high end tire shop for 3.00 two weeks ago, no problem. The new tire plugs are super good. Shop said their tire plug guy drove up in a chevy suburban with at least 50 plugs all around the SIDEWALL to demonstrate how good they were. No saying I would trust a sidewall plug but info only.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Not much to clear up. GM and Michelin say it is ok to plug and patch. I have done so on three tires without any problems.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:24 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Holed On

A plug in the flat tread pattern should be fine. Sidewalls are not.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

I just don't understand why some people go the cheap or easy route and just do a plug. Why risk your safety when the tire experts say a plug/patch combo is the only recommended repair? Discount tire will dismount, inspect, prep, plug/patch, remount and balance for FREE.

US Tire Manufacturers Association puncture repair procedures

Tire Industry Association tire repair
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Foosh (02-21-2018), JerryU (02-22-2018), owc6 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Makes no sense to me either. Just because you did it once, and it worked, doesn't mean it's going to be safe again. There is a reason that it is not a recommended repair and only designed to be a temporary fix to get to a tire shop.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:13 PM
FormerBiker
Race Director

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Picked up a screw last month in the right rear. Took the car to the local tire shop (Discount Tire) and they said it cannot be repaired as per manufacturer. I asked him to show me where it said that and he went to the computer and said see they said it cannot be repaired. I looked and Michelin said it could be repaired once. The guy lied but they said they would repair it.

Then I asked him if they have lifted a corvette explaining that my C5 had body damage due to improper lifting. He said no but no problem. It lifts like any other car. I said never mind and went to the dealer.

Be very wary of tire shops and make sure they know how to lift your vette.

Last edited by FormerBiker; 02-21-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:25 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by juanvaldez
Call a different Discount Tire. I have had two different run-flats repaired on my '16 Z51 coupe by Discount Tire, both for free!
My local Discount has repaired my corvette run flats (both GY and Michelin) many times over the years.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
........... tire experts say a plug/patch combo is the only recommended repair? Discount tire will dismount, inspect, prep, plug/patch, remount and balance for FREE.

US Tire Manufacturers Association puncture repair procedures

Tire Industry Association tire repair
My local Discount only uses the combo plug & patch method.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I just don't understand why some people go the cheap or easy route and just do a plug. Why risk your safety when the tire experts say a plug/patch combo is the only recommended repair? Discount tire will dismount, inspect, prep, plug/patch, remount and balance for FREE.
A. You get a Low Tire Pressure warning while on the Interstate miles from the nearest exit, much less from anyone competent to work on these low profile tires.

B. There's no Discount Tire within 100 miles of you.

It's not a matter of cost to me, much more a matter of getting it done quickly and safely. In all seriousness, when was the last time you heard of a tire failure due to a plug?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

If say for example tire was not repaired, at what point would both need to be replaced?
Good advice seen so far.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
A. You get a Low Tire Pressure warning while on the Interstate miles from the nearest exit, much less from anyone competent to work on these low profile tires.

B. There's no Discount Tire within 100 miles of you.

It's not a matter of cost to me, much more a matter of getting it done quickly and safely. In all seriousness, when was the last time you heard of a tire failure due to a plug?

Have a good one,
Mike
Fine for a temporary repair, but when you get it home, have it redone the correct way. The risk of tire failure is not primarily due to the plug, but due to the fact that the puncture may have damaged the tire structure. That can only be determined by a visual inspection from the inside of the tire.

Even if I could not get it done for free at Discount Tire, I'd pay to have it done correctly. Tires are just to critical to safety while driving.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 02-21-2018 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ojm
If say for example tire was not repaired, at what point would both need to be replaced?
Good advice seen so far.
That greatly depends on the situation. The fun flats are designed to go 50 miles at up to 50 MPH with zero pressure. In reality, they can probably go further. Regardless, in this case, the tire needs to be scrapped. If the tire is just driven with it a couple of pounds low (slow leak, constantly putting more air in it), then it will not really have any impact other than probably reducing the tread life somewhat. I wouldn't recommend you drive it anywhere near the edge of the performance envelope until it gets repaired correctly or replaced.
rmorin1249 (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Fine for a temporary repair, but when you get it home, have it redone the correct way. The risk of tire failure is not primarily due to the plug, but due to the fact that the puncture may have damaged the tire structure. That can only be determined by a visual inspection from the inside of the tire.

Even if I could not get it done for free at Discount Tire, I'd pay to have it done correctly. Tires are just to critical to safety while driving.
Actually that is what happened to me, tire was repaired but was told of wear litte in tire structure...so will need two soon since can not replace only one.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:15 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

That greatly depends on the situation. The fun flats are designed to go 50 miles at up to 50 MPH with zero pressure. In reality, they can probably go further. Regardless, in this case, the tire needs to be scrapped. If the tire is just driven with it a couple of pounds low (slow leak, constantly putting more air in it), then it will not really have any impact other than probably reducing the tread life somewhat. I wouldn't recommend you drive it anywhere near the edge of the performance envelope until it gets repaired correctly or replaced.
100%. I would not track a car with even a properly plugged and patched tire. JMHO.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM
c8nukeZ51
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a nail 'dead center' on one of my rear tires of my C7 and had it plugged.
Its' been over 2 years and over 15K without any problem.
Just sayin'
Crossed Flags Fan (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 01:39 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Fine for a temporary repair, but when you get it home, have it redone the correct way.

Having lived in the DFW area for 32 years before retiring to my home town of Hot Springs to get back close to family, I know how easy it is to find someone in that area that does great work.

Up here? Not so much. Trucks and "beige" cars, sure. High performance low profile tires? Good luck with that. It's bad enough I'm considering driving my C7 to someone in the DFW area to do the MSRC upgrade.

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Nail in run flat

Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuke991
I had a nail 'dead center' on one of my rear tires of my C7 and had it plugged.
Its' been over 2 years and over 15K without any problem.
Just sayin'
"Plugging" is OK with a plug/patch from the inside. If that's what you did, it will be as dependable as any never-damaged tire.

Plugging from the outside is not OK, even though some people get lucky. Moreover, doing it that way renders a ZP tire unrepairable for an approved repair.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:14 PM
ron landgraf
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Tire repair

Originally Posted by guido7834
I have a nail in the tread area of a front tire. I've read many posts here that it can be patched/plugged from the inside. I've called Michelin and GM. Both said this is true. Called Discount tire today (two locations) and they tell me a run flat can not be repaired. (company Policy)
Can anyone clear this up for me? It's just a small screw. I don't track the car, it's a weekend driver. 2017 base Stingray.

Thanks
Discount Tire (Georgetown,TX) repaired my tire.
As long as the nail is in a repairable area, they will fix.
Cannot be in the side wall or near the outer edge of the tire.
Side note, there was no charge although they nicked the rim.
They stood behind there work and had the wheel repaired.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:29 PM
ChuckerC7
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

Take it to a good Chevy garage, they can fix it. Had a sheetrock screw in one at 200 miles on mine and it took longer to drive to the dealer then the time to fix it.

Quick Reply: Nail in run flat