Sponsored by:

Overheating question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 01:57 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by scott554
So just got a call from service advisor and he is saying the GM Techs think the Mild to Wild switch is causing some kind problem to the computer and causing to overheat. The only mods I have on the car is a Borla X pipe Magna Flow Comp Exhaust, Cold Air kit and Mild to Wild switch. I am getting the vibe that since there are some mods to the car were going to go the route of the car isn't covered under warranty which if they say I will be buying a Shelby 350R and never look back.

Sounds like they're giving up and going for low hanging fruit. Chevy service at it's best. They have to prove that the switch is causing this issue, which is borderline impossible and they probably know it. Of course, proving it isn't causing the problem is likely just as hard.

You've got a couple of options to explore, but it honestly sounds like that dealership is not going to be helpful. Go to your regional forums and find a Chevy dealer worth a damn. I found a Classic Chevrolet in Texas, is that correct? There HAS to be good Chevy dealers in TX, and if not dealers, decent independent mechanics.

Don't give up yet, incompetent dealers are a dime a dozen.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Remove the switch. If the problem still exists take it back.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,060 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Disconnect the M2W and put the stock fuse in. Mine did it before the M2W. It hasn't done it in a while just waiting for the next time and I'll get a video. My plan is to change the fan and controller to the Z06 upgrade fan.

Elmer
Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM
scott554
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I advised them to un hook the switch and drive the vehicle. The advisor said it was good that I was able to video the car overheating twice and then getting dash warning since they could not replicate it again. I'm betting they unplug and then say just drive and if it happens show us again. I've cancelled a 2 week trip from Texas to California to do the PCH all the way to Washington State since I don't trust this car. Trying not to lose patience but wish I would have just kept my C6 and hit the road.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I drop mine off tomorrow, drove it straight to the dealership and stopped in front of their desk and showed 3 techs and the service advisor exactly what happens.. they documented it and doing tests to confirm that the fan is getting the right voltage sent to it and ordering a new fan...

The funny part is the Z06 replacement is 330 dollars and the original fan is 550 dollars... I am getting the Z06 fan even if I have to buy it...
Old 06-20-2018, 08:26 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Mine's going in Monday for this...I'll report back what they find...hopefully my Extended Warranty covers whatever's wrong.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 AM
scott554
Advanced

Service advisor called yesterday evening and said they unhooked the mild to wild transmitter and feel that was causing the problem as they drove it and it would not overheat. I call BS and just ordered the Z06 fan out of my pocket. I purchased an extended warranty from our forum vender so that's not an issue, its overheating at the most inconvenient time!
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM
checkur6
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Good news bad news. Bad news is it might have an issue if it overheated, but good news is that it's an issue, not normal at all, because these cars never heat up in traffic or public roads.

My 2015 has been rock-solid reliable, so not to worry. There might be a problem that needs to be fixed but there's a solid reliable car hiding under there.

Is it possible you sucked up some garbage? A plastic shopping back or piece of cardboard gets sucked into the air intake, heats up the engine, falls out (or is still there)?
I have a 2014 Z51 and I sit in traffic in Las Vegas (110 degrees) with the air on and the temp gage never goes over normal (220). Sounds like "there's a wiener in the warp drive." Looks like you're still under warranty and Chevy should be able to fix it.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:26 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

My '14 Z51 after 3 hours of driving on the road without an issue while entering a traffic jam in S.A. The outside temperature was at high 90's. at that time. My C7 overheated and towed to local dealer. They diagnosed failure of engine fan and water pump. Both replaced under warranty. Problem gone. Great job by Boerne TX's Chevy Cavender dealership.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 06-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:05 PM
scott554
Advanced

Well picked my car up from Classic Chevy in Grapevine and was told the techs there and the GM techs called all advised the M2W transmitter must have been interfering with the cars computer by transmitting on a common channel thus causing the RT front TPM to lose connection to the computer along with the fan not coming on when supposed to. The M2W was unhooked and they advised the car was good to go. I wasn't going to argue with the service advisor as he totally understands my position as to not agreeing with the techs. When I returned home I found my Z06 fan had arrived and immediately pulled in the shop and installed it so time for a weekend drive and see if the new fan cures the overheating. Thanks to all for the fan upgrade info!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

If you still have the original battery that came from the factory, I would replace it.
Only 800 miles on a 2015 has little to no battery use. It would be hard to know if was on a maintainer all the time.
Your TPMS error message could be due to a battery on the way out and possibly not enough power to start the A/C fan motor after driving a bit.
Just a suggestion.

The following users liked this post:
scott554 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Considering I do not have the "M2W transmitter" and mine is doing exactly the same thing... hmmmmm, I smell BS, your telling me they did a test drive for 50 to 100 miles??? I doubt it.. I have confirmed it does not do it with a 25 mile drive...
Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Anyone know what temp the fan comes on and is it high and low speed depending on temp.? On my previous C5 there were two speeds and depending on temp it would come on and if needed it would go to high speed. There was a cool it mod I bought and installed in 5 minutes that allowed you to bring the fan on via a FOB anytime you wanted. I wish one was available for the C7 but haven't heard or read of anyone having one.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:37 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Anyone know what temp the fan comes on and is it high and low speed depending on temp.? On my previous C5 there were two speeds and depending on temp it would come on and if needed it would go to high speed. There was a cool it mod I bought and installed in 5 minutes that allowed you to bring the fan on via a FOB anytime you wanted. I wish one was available for the C7 but haven't heard or read of anyone having one.
I looked up my fan data from my stock tune for my C7 and shows this table. It is in F°

Elmer
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I looked up my fan data from my stock tune for my C7 and shows this table. It is in F°

Elmer
Sorry but I need clarification on this. I assume the green, yellow, and red is temps but what is the 10-100 across top and left. Thanks
Old 06-23-2018, 10:40 AM
eboggs_jkvl

Sorry but I need clarification on this. I assume the green, yellow, and red is temps but what is the 10-100 across top and left. Thanks

% of power run by the fan. The hotter it gets, the more power to the fan and the fan runs faster.
bjones7131 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

About running AC. I found that on my Camaro, the engine actually gets hotter when I turn of the AC.
With the AC running, at least one fan is running. With AC off, no fans come on until it gets up to about 230 deg.
Then the fans can come on and it cools down.

Get notified of new replies

To Overheating question

Old 06-23-2018, 12:30 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by scott554
So little update is I took car into Classic Chevrolet and they advised everything checked out, Pressure check connections checked etc. I just returned from a 3 day 555 mile trip in East Texas and on the return we got into slowed traffic not stopped just 5 MPH, was watching Temp gauge and there it went full peg and had to pull over and shut down. I waited 20 minutes and started and the fan kicked in and we proceeded on. I got to my residence 55 miles later and just as I pulled in the car started to overheat again and was able to get video for the dealer to see. I popped the hood and tapped the fan with a hammer but no luck so killed waited 30 minutes and started and again the fan kicked in. I drove the vehicle back to Dealer and dropped off and given the video to see. Im pretty upset since there's no buyback on a certified pre-owned just repair, which I told the salesman and service advisor that's great but no good when your on the road doing traveling. Sorry to vent just not happy with a car that has now 4000 miles and cant be driven without overheating. Retiring and doing roadtrips are not going so well. LOL Will post the outcome from dealer next week!
I live where you do (bought my 2015 C7 Z51 Convertible from Classic Chevy in Grapevine new) and have 16,000 miles; never has gotten hot much less overheated on the street; when the AC's on, the fan should be running 100% of the time--I hear mine all the time because I actually drive top down with the AC on full tilt (what that does is the AC flow helps keep the rush of hot air that comes from the hood vent, then flows up and over the windshield, from dumping in your lap, at a start or stop with the convertible top down). Something is clearly not right with your car; what it is, I dunno. But I would start with the fan and what controls it--if it's not running when the AC is, that's likely the start of the overheating issue.

Edit: I see you have a modded car; not sure I follow what you've done or are doing as far as a Z06 fan goes. What the Chevy mechanics advised makes sense. If you can turn off the mods and the problem doesn't recur, there's your problem.

Last edited by boxster99t; 06-23-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Sailfun
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Once you mod a car it’s not a Chevy. It’s your one off. No reason to expect a warrantee at that point.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:02 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Here's the full screen in C°

bjones7131 (06-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Overheating question