Music sounds bad 😣

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM
TwoVettes6916
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Music sounds bad

Originally Posted by PrinceJamesI
I bought the least exspensive 2019 C7 Corvette Stingray. The one with the most basic bose sound system. Theres only 3 settings to change on the equalizer. Mid, treble and bass. Nothing else but moving sound forward or back or left or right of center. No preset equalizer settings like most cars have. Bottomline the sound is horrible. I cant find anyone on these forums who has the most basic sound system like i have. If anyone does, has anyone found the best settings to make the music sound good? Help me get better sound out this basic sound system.
I've got a '16 3LT Stingray. I really don't know how the car's sound system compares with those of other manufacturers, but it's what I'm "stuck" with. Of course, I usually have an increase in ambient noise to contend with when the car is running, especially when I have the NPP exhaust valves open. And when I pop the top off, the sound of the air rushing around the passenger compartment makes it even harder to hear what is coming out of the speakers. So, it has been difficult to compare the quality of the sound from the car's system to the sound coming out of my Klipsch surround-sound system in the sound-room in my house.

Sometimes I want to listen to great quality sound, kicking back in my sound-room chair without outside distractions; sometimes I want to experience rapid acceleration and the rumble of an 8-cylinder gasoline engine in a sub-3300 pound car that I am riding in.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to choose between the two.

Save the Wave!
Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by red62vette
I have a 1LT. I’m a guitar player btw and I have an audiophile system at home (McIntosh/Krell/Linn). The Bose in the 1LT is what it is. On par with the systems in my Porsche and Tahoe. One easy swap you may want to try is upgrading just the tweeters. I think the amps and bass are passable, but the high frequency could use help.
Honestly there is no magic EQ setting its like you said it is what it is... salt to taste people!

Having a couple EQ curves for different music & sound sources is about the best its gonna get....and that aint "horrible" .
Old 07-22-2018, 04:44 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

These are the guys that do my installations - they do amazing work for very fair prices - Don the owner is awesome to deal with - Weymouth, Mass

http://extremecaraudioinc.com/
Old 07-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have the upgraded stereo and it sounds fine to me. I am not an audiophile however, but it does sound good.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:06 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Hers a great post on upgrading bass - best bang for the buck for now anyway

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...to-finish.html
The following users liked this post:
65fastback (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

This is what I am planning on doing for now - this is a pre-loaded box and its a Mustang Vert box lol - will fit line to line - I checked dims - it will just fit - all the components to make it work will be solved by Extreme audo box is $230 on ebay no brainer for the money

It will be covered by full cargo cover which I all ready have and no the tops always on the car - plenty of space left

Quick photoshop

post image forum
65fastback (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016C7.paul
There are many c7 audio threads. I think I have read them all. I will summarize:

1) If you are coming from a custom stereo in a boxy car, like me ($5k custom job with Focal 3ways, 2 ways, and dual 8" subs in a custom box, dedicated Alpine amps, Pioneer AVH series DVD player/head unit in a 2012 Toyota 4Runner), you will think the stock C7 stereo sucks. It does not suck. It is just a stock stereo. Custom aftermarket is always better.

2) If you are coming from another stock stereo, you will likely think the Bose is an improvement. (Its really not that bad if you tweak it and listen to quality digital files)

3) The corvette is never going to "stage" as well as a boxy car like a 4Runner. Because physics.

4) Easy tweaks until custom investment:

- Listen to digital only (USB stick, Android/iPhone, Sirius/XM)
- FM radio sounds like **** in any car comapred to the above, but especially on your stock stereo
- Adjust your tone settings and make at least two custom settings for easy switching (see image below)

To my ears, the muddy Bose lows are the headache, so I have two custom tone settings, one with very little bass and one with slightly less bass than the mid and treble. I use the latter more than the former. I also have the speakers boosted slightly forward of center of the car.

Well thought out post, however, I disagree with the sound stage theory. Obviously a square/box would provide a better direct and reflective acoustics, but this isn’t an end-all-be-all excuse. There are other similar shaped coupes that offer better sounding systems.

It’s the quality of equipment that makes the most compelling difference. Nonetheless, I give Bose a lot of credit. They are marketing geniuses, but they’re peddling mediocre equipment.

I get that the C7 is a mass produced performance-first car at a reasonable price point. My only suggestion would be for GM to offer a high quality sound system as a stand-alone option. This would appeal to those on a budget, or not, who just want to hear the engine/exhaust, and to those who are willing to pay a premium to have their cake and eat it.

If Ford can offer the B&O Play system, certainly GM can do something similar... Not that B&O is awesome, but it’s a choice. I don’t know what Dodge offers, but the 825 watt 19 speaker Harman Kardon in my Jeep GC is pretty, pretty... pretty good, and well worth the 2K premium... to me.
rsvette12 (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:32 PM
PrinceJamesI
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Interesting EQ pics my bass is positioned on the bottom not the top

Also noticed you have fronts more prominent - I have it the opposite more towards the back because of embarrassing and annoying free of charge door rattle
*I noticed it sounds better towards the back then front to.
rsvette12 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 PM
PrinceJamesI
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joseanMD
This is why the 2LT upgrade is worth it, trust me it makes the music sound great on my C7. That subwofer speaker is amazing! TOTALLY worth the upgrade, the music actually sounds great on this car.
It is one of the main reasons I got the 2LT instead of the 1LT. Sorry to hear that bro... you can always go aftermarket and add a subwoofer to the car, I am sure it has the space for it, but it will make the music sound awesome!
*Yeah, your lucky. That exstra bass speaker i bet makes it the best. Cuz thats what i now notice is the problem, it just needs that better sounding bass that exstra speaker provides. I wish chevy just work with bose to sale it to the corvette owners who dont have it.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I got the 2lt and the speakers sound very good to me u gotta add the music in the chip to MP3 music that’s you gotta fix your settings right every system is different
Old 07-23-2018, 04:05 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
My wife has a 2013 bmw X5 m sport and it has the harmon kardon system and it sounds good...about as good as the bose in my c7...she had it in for service and she got a loaner, it was a brand new X5 and that stereo sounded incredible in fact it was the best sounding "stock" factory system ive heard.
Yeah i have heard the range rover meridian systems sound fantastic although i test drove a Jaguar F type and it had a meridian system ...it did not sound as good as i thought it would. Sports car's in general are about the most challenged place to put audio.
In 12 when we got her Range Rover the system in it, was standard, the 17 speaker 825 watt system. That system is now the middle, there is base 380 watts, the system she has which is 17-19 speakers and 825 watts depending on the vehicle, and the top of the line Signature system which is 1700 watts and 29 speakers. Jaguar uses the same three systems as I understand it.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
In 12 when we got her Range Rover the system in it, was standard, the 17 speaker 825 watt system. That system is now the middle, there is base 380 watts, the system she has which is 17-19 speakers and 825 watts depending on the vehicle, and the top of the line Signature system which is 1700 watts and 29 speakers. Jaguar uses the same three systems as I understand it.
^^^ ... would like the hear that one
Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Like others said its TOO subjective to quantify.

for me the added sub in the 2 and 3 level cars adds enough bottom end to make it very good. The base stereo is like having the 2 or 3 level with bass all the way down.

I'm sure there's more to it but that's my impression. I was getting a 1LZ and already had a plan for a sub. Glad I spent all in on the 3LZ as the stereo among 10 other things make it worth the price.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Having owned 5 dozen or more vehicles over the years, I agree with the assessments that: A) I find the C7 Bose system to be above average; and B) human perceptions of sound quality are very subjective.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Luckily, I didn't buy my 2LT for the subwoofer...but it helped. After 61months in combat, my high and mid tone hearing is shot anyway. This C7 stereo sounds beautiful to my ears (subjective). It sounds much better than my stock Subaru. As it relates to music, I did change out my full exhaust for a 3" custom exhaust.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

I like my 3lt audio with adjustments for the money but YMMV...i’m copying over what I replied in another thread.

Originally Posted by Parcival
i see a parallel thread going on where you’re commenting on it..frankly I could care less if some guy here has something snide to say even if he has better amps at home than my solid state monoblocks.

I think the things to agree with others on given what I went through for years with swapping amps and preamps and cable and sources in the 2-channel hifi world, are: 1) don’t let others tell you what sounds good to you, 2) audition your equipment and have it tuned (which this guy did for me, I’m not a musician), 3) be happy that your system sounds good enough 4 the price- I’m pretty happy that this is better than most in this particular car, given I didn’t spend on a Custom B&O system (I’d be pissed if I bought the soft driving Land Rver and the Meridian didn’t sound good to me or the older Bentley and the Naim didn’t sound good, etc.) 4) don’t fall into the trap that younger guys invariably fall into which is modding stuff makes it better (eg, I hear “a guy” put in this subwoofer or dampener and replaced their Twiddler so now it sounds kick *** even though he is tone deaf blah blah...yeah sure, and now your trunk doesn’t close either)

Last edited by Parcival; 07-23-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I really dislike these audio threads because there will always be a guy saying something sounds like crap and another guy say the same thing sounds great. ALWAYS!!!!!
Its like what color car should i get or what are the best wheels.... sheesh

The truth is....these bose systems are better than average but our car is a horrible listening environment.
I ve been a musician and recording engineer for way longer than id like to admit and i am very picky about audio in the cars i drive. This bose system lacks the low end but its not bad for door speakers... all in all it has very good imaging and good mid and high end. You need a good sound source.

We have an iPod in our 2LT car that sounds quite good up to about 30 mph. 30-60 mph is barely ok due to tire noise, above 60 mph the system is pretty much worthless on most pavement.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-23-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Music sounds bad 😣

Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

I was listening intently this morning the highs are actually pretty good - the bass in doors need to be turned down - in LT1 so adding a bass box may be the ticket - bet it will sound pretty good - as mentioned play with highs and mids in Bose settings and just manually turn bass up or down - that may be just what I need - think my stereo installer is on vacation so more to come on that
Old 07-23-2018, 03:11 PM
Jaykoh-Z51
Drifting

Received 376 Likes on 265 Posts

door rattle....isn't there a TSB or similar for that?

I have a 3LT but sometimes want more bass for certain music. when I turn it up in the car, it starts to sound muddy. So, I had thought about getting a pre-enclosed powered sub. Wouldn't be permanently mounted so I could remove it if I needed the space...just disconnect the plugs. Theres a couple from Rockford-Fosgate I'm looking at. (P300 I think) I need to stow the roof and take measurements under it...I want to be able to do that still.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JeepSRT+C7
door rattle....isn't there a TSB or similar for that?

I have a 3LT but sometimes want more bass for certain music. when I turn it up in the car, it starts to sound muddy. So, I had thought about getting a pre-enclosed powered sub. Wouldn't be permanently mounted so I could remove it if I needed the space...just disconnect the plugs. Theres a couple from Rockford-Fosgate I'm looking at. (P300 I think) I need to stow the roof and take measurements under it...I want to be able to do that still.
Yes I was thinking of that also - Great reviews also - 12" and 10" powered subs - reasonable price also

Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Music sounds bad 😣