Sponsored by:

Daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:03 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The C7 is tighter only because the left side of the dash wraps around more and has that point
That point and my knee have encountered each other on several occasions
The following users liked this post:
boss2k (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,167 Likes on 5,991 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
That point and my knee have encountered each other on several occasions
It's a crappy design... I get why they did it, but if that was flatter and flowed into the door a little different getting in the C7 would be just as easy as my C5s.
boss2k (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:07 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Dumb question and i realized when i was looking at some pics yesterday night, the top in a convertible opens more than the hard top in coupe? Hows the coupe driving experience with the roof open , since its not as much open as a convertible and has a long black glass does it give a convertible experience ?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:49 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,195 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I'm not a big fan of taking the roof off on the coupe. ALL of my coupe Vettes (three C4s, a C6 and a C7) have wind buffeting with the top off. I much prefer just the windows down with the roof on if I want some fresh air. If you really want the top off experiece, get a convertible as it pretty much eliminates the wind buffeting issue (speaking from experience having had a C5 vert).
Old 02-21-2019, 04:05 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,130 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan70
I'm not a big fan of taking the roof off on the coupe. ALL of my coupe Vettes (three C4s, a C6 and a C7) have wind buffeting with the top off. I much prefer just the windows down with the roof on if I want some fresh air. If you really want the top off experiece, get a convertible as it pretty much eliminates the wind buffeting issue (speaking from experience having had a C5 vert).

On my C4 - 1985 (worked w/ 6 speed) I have a spacer for the rear window ( opens the rear window 3 to 4 inches ) and it makes driving with the top off or windows down a pleasure... have never seen one for the other years ..

Last edited by BLUE1972; 02-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:59 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Yes, I had the same on my C4, made it much better. I've never seen it for C5/6/7, not would it look right anyway since the hatch design includes the body, not just the glass.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:04 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

I dont want soft top for fear off getting slashed , just want the hard top to be off at certain times when I would like to have a nice drive , majority of the time it would be on I guess. The question is the experience with hard top off nice, understand may not give full convertible experience . I like the fact that although it's a coupe I can enjoy and take top off
Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by boss2k
I dont want soft top for fear off getting slashed , just want the hard top to be off at certain times when I would like to have a nice drive , majority of the time it would be on I guess. The question is the experience with hard top off nice, understand may not give full convertible experience . I like the fact that although it's a coupe I can enjoy and take top off
Where the hell do you live that you're actually worried about getting the top slashed. I've parked convertibles I've owned in downtown Dallas and not worried about it. Honestly, you're more likely to have someone smash out a window than slash the top, much easier to do and gets them into the car faster. Anyway, you can certainly take it off, and it does give an "open air" experience, but my bet is you'll find yourself not using it much after the first year due to wind buffeting and the effort of taking it off/on. It's not hard to do, but it's somewhat cumbersome, and probably takes 5 minutes, and if you're worried about getting a convertible top slashed, I imagine your not the type of person to leave the top of the coupe when you park somewhere,
boss2k (02-24-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 01:50 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Bah...even Magnum drove a 308 with the top off!
boss2k (02-24-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Bah...even Magnum drove a 308 with the top off!
That's because he couldn't fit in it with the roof on.
boss2k (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Where the hell do you live that you're actually worried about getting the top slashed. I've parked convertibles I've owned in downtown Dallas and not worried about it. Honestly, you're more likely to have someone smash out a window than slash the top, much easier to do and gets them into the car faster. Anyway, you can certainly take it off, and it does give an "open air" experience, but my bet is you'll find yourself not using it much after the first year due to wind buffeting and the effort of taking it off/on. It's not hard to do, but it's somewhat cumbersome, and probably takes 5 minutes, and if you're worried about getting a convertible top slashed, I imagine your not the type of person to leave the top of the coupe when you park somewhere,
I live in Atlanta suburb and pretty safe and i think convertible soft top is much easier to break in that hard top . You are correct i dont know if i can leave the car parked outside with top open , too paranoid.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I live in Atlanta suburb and pretty safe and i think convertible soft top is much easier to break in that hard top . You are correct i dont know if i can leave the car parked outside with top open , too paranoid.
They are exactly as easy to break into: smash window.

The convertible top has so many ribs, and so many layers of fabric that it would take a very thin person sawing a very long time to even be able to reach in. Say they reached in, then what? They would have to have ape arms to even reach anything. Sure, they could do a lot of damage to the top, but then what?

If theft is the aim, smash a window is much quicker, if vandalism is the aim, then keying is quicker, as well. The soft top is not any more of an invitation to any of it, IMO.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:58 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owc6
They are exactly as easy to break into: smash window.

The convertible top has so many ribs, and so many layers of fabric that it would take a very thin person sawing a very long time to even be able to reach in. Say they reached in, then what? They would have to have ape arms to even reach anything. Sure, they could do a lot of damage to the top, but then what?

If theft is the aim, smash a window is much quicker, if vandalism is the aim, then keying is quicker, as well. The soft top is not any more of an invitation to any of it, IMO.

Exactly my point. Breaking a window is WAY easier than going through the roof.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:43 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

In manual,M7 is there a reverse lockout during car in motion, meaning can you accidentally shift from 7th to reverse gear instead if trying to downshift to 6th ? When I test drove I remember that the reverse was all the way right and you didn't have to push down to put it in reverse?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

In manual,M7 is there a reverse lockout during car in motion, meaning can you accidentally shift from 7th to reverse gear instead if trying to downshift to 6th ? When I test drove I remember that the reverse was all the way right and you didn't have to push down to put it in reverse?
I dont think there is a lockout I never tried to or accidentally gone from 7 to reverse. Im not in 7th alot usually only over 70. But when I have been in 7th went down into 6th without any difficulty but there were times I went to far into 4th but caught it before letting the clutch back out and went to 6th I hope this helps
boss2k (03-04-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 PM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's covered in the manual:

"R : To back up, push the clutch pedal and shift into R (Reverse). Additional pressure may be needed to move the lever past 5 (Fifth) and 6 (Sixth) into R (Reverse). Let up on the clutch pedal slowly while pressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle can be safely shifted into R (Reverse) while the vehicle is moving less than 5 km/h (3 mph). If the vehicle is going faster than that, R (Reverse) is locked out."
The following 2 users liked this post by pnsnkr:
boss2k (03-04-2019), Jmhornz71 (03-04-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 AM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pnsnkr
It's covered in the manual:

"R : To back up, push the clutch pedal and shift into R (Reverse). Additional pressure may be needed to move the lever past 5 (Fifth) and 6 (Sixth) into R (Reverse). Let up on the clutch pedal slowly while pressing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle can be safely shifted into R (Reverse) while the vehicle is moving less than 5 km/h (3 mph). If the vehicle is going faster than that, R (Reverse) is locked out."
Perfect thats what I was looking for

Thanks
Old 03-04-2019, 10:51 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Also, you'll have no issue trying to hit reverse instead of 6th downshifting from 7th, the opposite is actually the case in that I typically find myself downshifting to 4th and missing 6th unless I push to the right as I downshift. Of course, that's probably by design as if you're going to downshift and pass someone, you want to be in 4th anyway.
boss2k (03-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Daily driver