Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 engine tick

Old 02-10-2019, 08:19 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by DopplerGS19
I've read that and since I have a manual trans I'll just avoid eco mode. I purposely didn't try it after reading all the stories during my pre purchase research. I almost took it out and cycled in and out of eco to see if the lifter would reset for the hell of it but I'm leaving it be.
Sorry, didn't see it was a manual. No Range Device Needed!
Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
It's runs great! Did a full teardown, replaced everything oil touched including the dry sump system. Comped me the Platinum GMEPP for an additional 3/36 bumper to bumper too. Noting like a 2016 car with B2B warranty through mid year 2022

Other than the stress/worry of a new car having this issue, It was a positive end result and I'm happy with the level of service the dealer provided.
Dude that's awesome.... WOW!

Last edited by devnull; 02-10-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

I went back and forth on it myself a few times since I know these engines are noisy but this is definitely a distinct metallic ticking above and beyond the sewing machine kind of ticking you get with DI.
That noise is NOT a lifter IMO sounds like an exhaust leak or pipe hitting something. Early on (2013/2014) there were a few posts about the insulation in the valley cover out of place and making a loud injector pump noise BUT I have not heard anything like a that in my 2014 or Grand Sport LT1.

Finding a good C7 Tech is not easy. There is a small dealer in Hartsville SC where I picked up my Grand Sport bought with Courtesy Delivery who has a great C7 Tech but not sure I would not try to find a larger dealer. Got my 2014 from Hendrick in Cary NC. They sell a lot of Vettes. Don't know much about Hendrick in Charlotte.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-10-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:29 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by JerryU
That noise is NOT a lifter IMO sounds like an exhaust leak or pipe hitting something. Early on (2013/2014) there were a few posts about the insulation in the valley cover out of place and making a loud injector pump noise BUT I have not heard anything like a that in my 2014 or Grand Sport LT1.

Finding a good C7 Tech is not easy. There is a small dealer in Hartsville SC where I picked up my Grand Sport bought with Courtesy Delivery who has a great C7 Tech but not sure I would not try to find a larger dealer. Got my 2014 from Hendrick in Cary NC. They sell a lot of Vettes. Don't know much about Hendrick in Charlotte.
Certainly possible. It is a bit quieter, but typical exhaust leak would follow a deeper sound on that side (usually). Hope your right Jerry, would be easier outcome
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,132 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Whatever is causing that noise is not normal and needs to be diagnosed sooner than later. If it was mine I would not drive it 7nless head8ng to the dealer.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Opossum
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

I also had an annoying tick, went in last week for 500 mile break in oil change and found a 3 inch gash in serpentine belt was the cause, replaced under warranty and ticking noise gone
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Opossum
I also had an annoying tick, went in last week for 500 mile break in oil change and found a 3 inch gash in serpentine belt was the cause, replaced under warranty and ticking noise gone
Yep, many noises are hard to diagnose! I had one that I finally figured out after a year! On a full lock, slow speed, right turn had a noise that sounded like a playing card in a bicycle wheel but it only occurred once per revolution. Had nothing to do with tire “chatter” as happened when warm and no such noise on a left turn. Thought it was the Grand Sport brake cooling duct or plastic air diverter hitting something.

Jacking the wheel and turning was no help even when lifting only a ¼ inch off the pavement, no noise. Tried the GM suggested, “remove the wheel and clean the matting surface” and retorque the lug nuts several times. Even trimmed some plastic I thought was offending. No help but the noise became less.

When I changed oil at ~1 year I saw the problem, which by then was almost gone. A wheel weight was on the inner edge and had been warn slightly on the front and top edge. Obviously, it was hitting the plastic brake cooling duct air diverter! A spot on the diverter and the top edge of the wheel weight were wearing! It’s gone now!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
Certainly possible. It is a bit quieter, but typical exhaust leak would follow a deeper sound on that side (usually). Hope your right Jerry, would be easier outcome
From inside the car I would bet money it was an exhaust leak from the passenger header collector or midpipe but standing over the motor with the hood up it's obvious it's on top of the motor. I would have opened it up myself yesterday if it weren't under warranty. I'll keep you guys posted could be a simple fix I definitely could be wrong. I'd be thrilled if I were haha.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

From inside the car I would bet money it was an exhaust leak from the passenger header collector or midpipe but standing over the motor with the hood up it's obvious it's on top of the motor. I would have opened it up myself yesterday if it weren't under warranty. I'll keep you guys posted could be a simple fix I definitely could be wrong. I'd be thrilled if I were haha.
Try using a piece of hose as a stethoscope and check around the bottom of the manifold. In 2013/2014 that is where, as I recall, the sound insulation under the manifold to muffel the ~3000 pst mechanical pump noise was found out of place. Also check the stainless cover on the exhaust manifold.

On other hand, sound does travel.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

No not normal. I’m not trying to turn this around on you (sincerely) but how did you not hear that before ou bought it. I always doa thorough walk around, and check the engine while running. Did it present after delivery?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Try using a piece of hose as a stethoscope and check around the bottom of the manifold. In 2013/2014 that is where, as I recall, the sound insulation under the manifold to muffel the ~3000 pst mechanical pump noise was found out of place. Also check the stainless cover on the exhaust manifold.

On other hand, sound does travel.
I'll pick up a stethoscope and hunt around if the dealer can't sort it.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
No not normal. I’m not trying to turn this around on you (sincerely) but how did you not hear that before ou bought it. I always doa thorough walk around, and check the engine while running. Did it present after delivery?
I bought it remotely from a forum trusted dealer. I did not hear it run until it was being backed off the enclosed carrier and I noticed it immediately. At that point it's mine like it or not. I sincerely thought it was an exhaust leak I only realized later something more serious could be going on. Even if I had I can't tell the truck driver to take it back, I owned it. So what's done is done.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,967 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I bought it remotely from a forum trusted dealer. I did not hear it run until it was being backed off the enclosed carrier and I noticed it immediately. At that point it's mine like it or not. I sincerely thought it was an exhaust leak I only realized later something more serious could be going on. Even if I had I can't tell the truck driver to take it back, I owned it. So what's done is done.
I get it. Sorry to hear that. It takes some of the luster of the new car delivery, but take to your local dealer and they should get it sorted out. You'll have it back in hand before the Spring flowers start popping.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Any dealer is “required” to fix it on warranty but put that in quotes as they don’t get much from GM for diagnosing the problem! So I agree if you can find the location and can point it out then they get paid for the effort to fix

Keep is posted
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
I get it. Sorry to hear that. It takes some of the luster of the new car delivery, but take to your local dealer and they should get it sorted out. You'll have it back in hand before the Spring flowers start popping.
For sure. Truth is no one even knows the problem but there are likely suspects ranging from minor to major. On top of that no one including the selling dealer, the local guys or gm corporate is even aware or had the chance to address whatever it happens to be. I'll take it one step at a time.
The following users liked this post:
Big Lebowski (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Thats why I would never buy a car remotely like that.

The dealer who sent you this car must have heard that ticking when they shipped it to you. Hold them accountable - and if they don't make it right, let us know what dealer sent you the car with an obvious engine tick. Hopefully it's something minor but that sounds bad to me.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,561 Likes on 5,547 Posts

Sorry to hear of your issue, let's hope resolution is minor as opposed to major. My experiences over the years have taught me it's best to never buy a car sight-unseen or in this case unheard. Surprised the selling dealer didn't hear this defect, if in fact they didn't.

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 engine tick

Old 02-11-2019, 10:47 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Sorry to hear bout this issue. Any LT1 owner will tell you that is not normal. I have an M7 with 19K miles, and mine doesn't idle like that.

Just thinking out loud... I assume you are still on first tank of gas tank. But even if the dealer put low octane complimentary fill up in there, knocking would affect all cylinders equally, and the sound is definitely near the rear two passenger side cylinders. Anyway, the knock sensor would have triggered a timing change, so that can't be it.

Good luck, we'll all curious what you find out.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Sorry to hear of your issue, let's hope resolution is minor as opposed to major. My experiences over the years have taught me it's best to never buy a car sight-unseen or in this case unheard. Surprised the selling dealer didn't hear this defect, if in fact they didn't.
It is hard to understand how the selling dealer missed that.
Good luck OP. Hope it turns out to be minor & you get to enjoy that new ride soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
17C7
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
That sounds awfully familiar, sorry you're having to deal with this. This was my failed lifter... they ended up doing a complete rebuild.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sCcfqFAUc8&t=2s.
Jesus Christ!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 engine tick