Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:20 PM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

WOW - yeah - that's no DI tick... Sorry about your delivery issue - but interested to hear where this goes. I know the selling dealer isn't on the hook for anything cause like you said it was yours... but - have you at least contacted them to let them know / weigh in on things?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by DopplerGS19
I bought it remotely from a forum trusted dealer. I did not hear it run until it was being backed off the enclosed carrier and I noticed it immediately. At that point it's mine like it or not. I sincerely thought it was an exhaust leak I only realized later something more serious could be going on. Even if I had I can't tell the truck driver to take it back, I owned it. So what's done is done.

This does not help the OP but may help others.

This is why I tell my fellow members do not pay for the car or sign the paperwork until AFTER fully inspecting the car. When I factory ordered mine from a forum dealer the car shipped from the Bowling Green factory to my local Chevrolet dealer. After they and I did a three plus hour inspection did I overnight the signed paperwork and wire them the money.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-11-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fishpick
WOW - yeah - that's no DI tick... Sorry about your delivery issue - but interested to hear where this goes. I know the selling dealer isn't on the hook for anything cause like you said it was yours... but - have you at least contacted them to let them know / weigh in on things?
I informed the sales rep I purchased from and was told that no problem was noticed during prep. He asked that I keep him informed of what develops. I haven't asked for anything and nothing has been offered. Just have to wait and see how things develop I'm not assuming anything good or bad at this point.
The following users liked this post:
devnull (02-11-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Received 664 Likes on 522 Posts

Default Update

Assuming the dealer has now looked into the car’s issues, what new info is there to be gleaned from this tick issue?!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

My late MY 2018 has always had a tick like that, especially when the engine is cold. Always assumed it was the fuel injection because that was the way my 2011 Mustang V6 sounded. Hasn't changed at all over the past year and miles.

What I would like to ask is whether in your opinion, the tick in the videos is more accentuated or prominent than when you are hearing it in real life? The reason I ask, is because if in real life it is not as loud as in the video, then it is probably normal. Unless I too have an issue

Last edited by Frosty; 02-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Frosty
My late MY 2018 has always had a tick like that, especially when the engine is cold. Always assumed it was the fuel injection because that was the way my 2011 Mustang V6 sounded. Hasn't changed at all over the past year and miles.

What I would like to ask is whether in your opinion, the tick in the videos is more accentuated or prominent than when you are hearing it in real life? The reason I ask, is because if in real life it is not as loud as in the video, then it is probably normal. Unless I too have an issue
It's pretty loud when cold you don't even have to try to hear it. It sounds like a large exhaust leak when driving and you can hear it inside the car with the radio at a normal volume and the AC on. It was loud enough to me I took it in. It is a loud sharp metallic ticking. Think if you had a hammer and we're tapping it on a metal surface. It's sharp and loud.

Verdict is a bad lifter on the passenger side. All lifters are being replaced on the passenger bank. The warranty is covering the work of course. Should have the car back by Friday I'll check in whether it resolves the issue or not. Servicing dealer was very forthright and helpful in getting it handled no questions asked.
The following 5 users liked this post by DopplerGS19:
devnull (02-12-2019), dmaxx3500 (02-14-2019), Frosty (02-13-2019), JerryU (02-12-2019), Jstan2014 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:01 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
No not normal. I’m not trying to turn this around on you (sincerely) but how did you not hear that before ou bought it. I always doa thorough walk around, and check the engine while running. Did it present after delivery?
^^^^ Read above ^^^^

Last edited by LarryFL; 02-12-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:53 PM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Default Servicing dealer

Is the servicing dealer also the Courtesy Delivery dealer?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

It's pretty loud when cold you don't even have to try to hear it. It sounds like a large exhaust leak when driving and you can hear it inside the car with the radio at a normal volume and the AC on. It was loud enough to me I took it in. It is a loud sharp metallic ticking. Think if you had a hammer and we're tapping it on a metal surface. It's sharp and loud.

Verdict is a bad lifter on the passenger side. All lifters are being replaced on the passenger bank. The warranty is covering the work of course. Should have the car back by Friday I'll check in whether it resolves the issue or not. Servicing dealer was very forthright and helpful in getting it handled no questions asked.
That diagnoses makes sense to me. Glad to hear they’ve identified it and are addressing it. Keep us posted.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
^^^^ Read above ^^^^
Sure thing Dad

Old 02-12-2019, 10:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hopefully the dealer will fix the problem for you and you can enjoy the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Excellent, glad to hear that they got it diagnosed and it's early. Sounded lifter-ish to me initially too (albeit nowhere near as loud as the other dude).

Last edited by devnull; 02-12-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

This is the same sound but louder that mine makes, louder in drive than reverse, and it buggggs the hell out of me. It hasn't gotten worse for me, bought with 8k and now have 13k on it, so I just try to ignore it. Still buggggs me. lol Glad you got your noise fixed though.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Awesome, glad they got it figured out.

Curious if they mentioned which one, was it the #7 like mine?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:42 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
Awesome, glad they got it figured out.

Curious if they mentioned which one, was it the #7 like mine?
Picked it up this morning. They did an "extreme road test" to attempt to dislodge any debris that could be causing the problem per some technical order. That didn't work so they replaced all lifters. Techs reported no obvious damage or failure so they can't tell me what lifter it was. The low miles worked in my favor there I suppose.

I looked it over well enough to be on my way I'll check it over more thoroughly tomorrow when I have time for it to make sure nothing small got missed. What I can say is the noise is eliminated for sure no more tapping just the low whirring sort of noise you get with the direct injection that I would expect. I can take a video to compare if people think it'd be useful data to have a before/after.

I'm very pleased with the service I received. It took them one day to diagnose and repair it. It was ready yesterday afternoon, I dropped it off the morning before. As far as GM corporate goes I've got some concerns I'd like addressed with them so I'll be contacting customer service but the servicing dealer was top notch in my book. They took very good care of me.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Default Dealerships involved

Selling, Courtesy Delivery, and Servicing dealers?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:39 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vette4lyn
Selling, Courtesy Delivery, and Servicing dealers?
As I said before there was no courtesy dealer. The circumstances of delivery are in the thread feel free to read it.

I am happy with the service of the selling dealer. The business end of things was handled well and they were in the loop on the status of the repair. I give them the benefit of the doubt on it. Even though it only had 50 miles on it when I took it in 90% of that was me driving and it is reasonable to believe that the noise got worse in my possession. It may have been undetectable to the average person when it went on the truck at their end or could have easily been written off as the high end of normal. I don't know, I wasn't there. There were no obvious in your face warnings or damage for the average person to notice. It's not like they sold me a car with a service warning or no oil in the sump or a misfire or whatever. Maybe I'm too easy going with it I dunno. In my line of work I am constantly inspecting and evaluating all types of mechanical equipment so I am also particularly sensitive to noise, sound, smell, etc. when it comes to these things.

My advice is the same as what others have said. Pick your cars up in person a defect could exist on any car from the factory regardless of who the dealer is. Otherwise I wouldn't modify my process. I'd buy another from the same place without a problem. I'd just go see it first. I won't be mentioning them by name as I'm not upset with them and internet forums have a tendency to overreact, no offense. The advice is if you are buying remotely, inspect personally.

Servicing dealer was Love Chevy in Columbia, SC. They handled the problem very well and they were very apologetic for the issue I was having so soon in my ownership. Didn't care I didn't buy from them, didn't rake me over the coals attempting to assign blame for the problem, just said yep I hear it too we'll check it out and a couple hours later they were in it replacing and repairing no questions asked.

In both cases I have a single experience to draw upon from both the selling and servicing dealer it ultimately means nothing in the big picture. Although I am happy the car is fixed and can now focus on enjoying it.

Thanks for the help and commentary all.

Last edited by DopplerGS19; 02-14-2019 at 09:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DopplerGS19:
devnull (02-14-2019), dmaxx3500 (02-14-2019), HooosierDaddy (02-14-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 engine tick

Old 02-14-2019, 10:15 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Hey if you get the chance post a vid of the fixed engine running, I'd like to hear it.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 AM
vette4lyn
Drifting

Default You gotta “Love” Love!

As I said before there was no courtesy dealer. The circumstances of delivery are in the thread feel free to read it.

I am happy with the service of the selling dealer. The business end of things was handled well and they were in the loop on the status of the repair. I give them the benefit of the doubt on it. Even though it only had 50 miles on it when I took it in 90% of that was me driving and it is reasonable to believe that the noise got worse in my possession. It may have been undetectable to the average person when it went on the truck at their end or could have easily been written off as the high end of normal. I don't know, I wasn't there. There were no obvious in your face warnings or damage for the average person to notice. It's not like they sold me a car with a service warning or no oil in the sump or a misfire or whatever. Maybe I'm too easy going with it I dunno. In my line of work I am constantly inspecting and evaluating all types of mechanical equipment so I am also particularly sensitive to noise, sound, smell, etc. when it comes to these things.

My advice is the same as what others have said. Pick your cars up in person a defect could exist on any car from the factory regardless of who the dealer is. Otherwise I wouldn't modify my process. I'd buy another from the same place without a problem. I'd just go see it first. I won't be mentioning them by name as I'm not upset with them and internet forums have a tendency to overreact, no offense. The advice is if you are buying remotely, inspect personally.

Servicing dealer was Love Chevy in Columbia, SC. They handled the problem very well and they were very apologetic for the issue I was having so soon in my ownership. Didn't care I didn't buy from them, didn't rake me over the coals attempting to assign blame for the problem, just said yep I hear it too we'll check it out and a couple hours later they were in it replacing and repairing no questions asked.

In both cases I have a single experience to draw upon from both the selling and servicing dealer it ultimately means nothing in the big picture. Although I am happy the car is fixed and can now focus on enjoying it.

Thanks for the help and commentary all.
AND thank YOU for your timely, concise, and succinct explanations and progress reports. Some of the best I have ever read on CF for a start to finish denouement!

You were accurate in correcting me...... as I was cross-thinking of another similar CF thread that involved a Courtesy Delivery.

Now you can begin to enjoy your new purchase!!!

Hopefully no more shop time during your ownership.

You gotta “love” Love!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM
DopplerGS19
Heel & Toe

For the sake of comparison I'll put two of the original videos here along with two similar ones post-repair. As you can tell from the videos the tick has been eliminated and all you can hear is the normal "sewing machine" type of noise you'd expect from the DI top end.

As a side note does anyone know whether the lower little legs on the engine cover pieces are meant to rest on top of the coil covers or tuck under them? Seem to be two little spots for them to hook under but I don't remember how they go back on and they were installed resting on top when I got it.

Before:

After:

I hope someone can benefit from this thread in the future. I'll document whatever else happens that is relevant. Thanks.
The following 3 users liked this post by DopplerGS19:
devnull (02-14-2019), Frosty (02-14-2019), Yourconfused (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: 2019 engine tick