C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#1 radar detector

 
Old 03-03-2019, 01:45 PM
  #41  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 10,340
Thanked 1,024 Times in 579 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Well my current V1 won't autolearn squat. It also is recommending a >$280 update opportunity that still won't autolearn. I am skipping the update after updating numerous times for not really that much gain and I am sitting in queue for the R7 to be delivered to me upon it's release date. V1 is not keeping up with the current market advances so I'm retiring my V1.

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 02:50 PM
  #42  
Elk
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Afton, Minnesota
Posts: 759
Thanked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Default

I have not updated my V1 for a good while for similar reasons. The V1 has served me well for a long time, but I replaced with with an Escort Max 360 when they first came out and have been very pleased.

I will take a concerted look at the new Uniden R7 in late summer after the first update is out. I put different detectors in each car as it is fun to try out the new units as they are released.
Elk is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 03:25 PM
  #43  
naylor99
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Well my current V1 won't autolearn squat. It also is recommending a >$280 update opportunity that still won't autolearn. I am skipping the update after updating numerous times for not really that much gain and I am sitting in queue for the R7 to be delivered to me upon it's release date. V1 is not keeping up with the current market advances so I'm retiring my V1.

Elmer
Help me me out here; what is meant by "autolearn"?
naylor99 is online now  
Old 03-03-2019, 03:36 PM
  #44  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 10,340
Thanked 1,024 Times in 579 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by naylor99 View Post
Help me me out here; what is meant by "autolearn"?
If you get an alert of the same signal at the same GPS location, the autolearn will stop alerting you to that signal. You have the option to have the detector stop or you can keep it alerting, your choice.

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 03-03-2019 at 03:36 PM.
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 PM
  #45  
naylor99
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
If you get an alert of the same signal at the same GPS location, the autolearn will stop alerting you to that signal. You have the option to have the detector stop or you can keep it alerting, your choice.
AH, I see. Thanks. Might be useful if you travel the same routes all the time. I end up going different places pretty regularly, so not much use to me. Not sure I'd want to depend on GPS for that anyway...
naylor99 is online now  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:07 PM
  #46  
Elk
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: Afton, Minnesota
Posts: 759
Thanked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Default

The feature is useful even if your trips through the same area are months apart. I have had Escort detectors determine a signal is false even though I am rarely at a given spot. The unit gives a perky little beep when it sets a new autolearn entry so you know it has concluded it is a false. Its memory is vastly better than mine.
Elk is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:20 PM
  #47  
MlwYlw
CF Senior Member
 
MlwYlw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 1,541
Thanked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Default

I've been a Valentine 1 fan for two decades. I've 'upgraded' all four units and played with the iOS bluetooth device - waste of $, IMHO.

Had to speak with Mike Valentine on an exchange. He was a complete ___hole. I would not buy another item from that jamoke. R7's for me.

The V1's are going on Fleabay / Craigslist as soon as the new Uniden's arrive. Mike should stay off of the customer service lines.
MlwYlw is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:42 PM
  #48  
Maximus68
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Posts: 346
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Why use Waze with Valentine 1?
Maximus68 is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 04:51 PM
  #49  
mto
CF Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Posts: 62
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Maximus68 View Post
Why use Waze with Valentine 1?
Not all police use radar and are hidden. Drivers in front using Waze report to the community conditions ahead. I love it for advanced traffic, construction, potholes, weather, and the like too.
mto is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to mto For This Useful Post:
Maximus68 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
  #50  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,865
Thanked 752 Times in 582 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Maximus68 View Post
Why use Waze with Valentine 1?
Waze is your best defense against instant on radar.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PatternDayTrader For This Useful Post:
Maximus68 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 06:26 PM
  #51  
naylor99
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Posts: 55
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mto View Post
Not all police use radar and are hidden. Drivers in front using Waze report to the community conditions ahead. I love it for advanced traffic, construction, potholes, weather, and the like too.
Agreed - V1 and Waze are a great combination.
naylor99 is online now  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 PM
  #52  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 10,340
Thanked 1,024 Times in 579 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by MlwYlw View Post
I've been a Valentine 1 fan for two decades. I've 'upgraded' all four units and played with the iOS bluetooth device - waste of $, IMHO.

Had to speak with Mike Valentine on an exchange. He was a complete ___hole. I would not buy another item from that jamoke. R7's for me.

The V1's are going on Fleabay / Craigslist as soon as the new Uniden's arrive. Mike should stay off of the customer service lines.
A waiting list is available for the R7.
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 PM
  #53  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,865
Thanked 752 Times in 582 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MlwYlw View Post
I've been a Valentine 1 fan for two decades. I've 'upgraded' all four units and played with the iOS bluetooth device - waste of $, IMHO.

Had to speak with Mike Valentine on an exchange. He was a complete ___hole. I would not buy another item from that jamoke. R7's for me.

The V1's are going on Fleabay / Craigslist as soon as the new Uniden's arrive. Mike should stay off of the customer service lines.
I used to be a Valentine loyalist, but they just aren't keeping up with the times.
PatternDayTrader is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to PatternDayTrader For This Useful Post:
Maximus68 (03-03-2019)
Old 03-03-2019, 11:27 PM
  #54  
MlwYlw
CF Senior Member
 
MlwYlw's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 1,541
Thanked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader View Post
I used to be a Valentine loyalist, but they just aren't keeping up with the times.
agreed, PDT! Iíve preordered two R7ís. We shall see ...
MlwYlw is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 07:00 AM
  #55  
MsEllie
CF Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 54
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
This is going to be the new king of detectors. You can preorder here. Looks like we get them early April.

http://www.bestradardetectors.net/Uniden-R7.html
Will the coppers know you have an R7? I think up here they have radar detector detection. It is illegal to have radar detectors in Manitoba. It is illegal to have fun in Manitoba.
MsEllie is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 09:32 AM
  #56  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 10,340
Thanked 1,024 Times in 579 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Note to self:

Do not live in Manitoba.

Stay here in Florida! Got it!

Elmer
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 12:39 PM
  #57  
orca1946
CF Senior Member
 
orca1946's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Schaumburg IL
Posts: 4,131
Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
Default

I'll wait to read the reviews on the new one.
orca1946 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to orca1946 For This Useful Post:
Maximus68 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 12:50 PM
  #58  
Bootsnswtsoots
Junior Member
 
Bootsnswtsoots's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Canada baby!!
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default




Originally Posted by MsEllie View Post
Will the coppers know you have an R7? I think up here they have radar detector detection. It is illegal to have radar detectors in Manitoba. It is illegal to have fun in Manitoba.
yes lots of street racing fun stuff is illegal, but thereís way around it. Also before I should have added that Iíve installed a AL Priority ďmultipurpose parking systemĒ which basically reprogrammed to serve as a radar jammer. Iíve also had some very interesting nights with the 5L pictured.... and having some getaway in Stockholm scenarios, except getaway in Manitoba 🏎💨💨💨🍆💦💦🚓
Bootsnswtsoots is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM
  #59  
Bootsnswtsoots
Junior Member
 
Bootsnswtsoots's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2019
Location: Canada baby!!
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Note to self:

Do not live in Manitoba.

Stay here in Florida! Got it!

Elmer
Floridaís dope, I will be back there for a visit again 😉
but in the works on the srt demon and this vette to tear up the streets of Texas soon 🤙
Bootsnswtsoots is offline  
Old 03-04-2019, 05:13 PM
  #60  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 622
Thanked 121 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
I'll wait to read the reviews on the new one.
smart.
DWillys is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: