Sponsored by:

Alignment required?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
skrupski
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Alignment required?

My 19 GS M7 is in for a rear main seal at 1300 miles. Rear cradle has to come out. Does GM recommend an alignment after reassembly? Dealer says not required as the pieces they take off are not adjustable. I thought I had read differently. Thanks for the input.
The following users liked this post:
GeoGS (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

^^^
Hmm, that assembly has all the adjustments. Odds of it going back exactly as it was would not appear 100% to me. Why not, it's cheap on their part and should through it in!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-12-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Vegas1500 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:31 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by skrupski
My 19 GS M7 is in for a rear main seal at 1300 miles. Rear cradle has to come out. Does GM recommend an alignment after reassembly? Dealer says not required as the pieces they take off are not adjustable. I thought I had read differently. Thanks for the input.
We always check the alignment and confirm it didn't change after a repair like that. It's usually very close or spot on if the assembly is taken out correctly, but it's well worth checking for the customer.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Everything adjustable may be marked in advance, so they see no reason to bother. They wouldn't want to do anything not absolutely "required" even if sensible to do so.

Anyway, ALL the best!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think I wold want it at least checked to ensure nothing changed.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:35 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

You get one free alignment check on a new vette, to align to GM specs, which are politely referred to as "generous." nevertheless both my new c7's were out of spec from GM specs, and were fixed free of charge. You also get the before and after alignment spec with color coded before and after specs on the printout. Will be useful if you still have wear issues on the tires and need to show a different alignment shop where they are, and where you want the specs to be, like the dsc alignment specs. Request your freebie, and demand another given the disassembly/reassembly for the part that is being replaced, if you already did the first one.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 06-13-2019 at 12:40 AM.
GeoGS (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:37 AM
Obe1 GS
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Another vote to have the alignment performed. Even with out the repair chances are the alignment wasn't perfect from the factory.

Last edited by Obe1 GS; 06-13-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:48 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
You get one free alignment check on a new vette, to align to GM specs, which are politely referred to as "generous." nevertheless both my new c7's were out of spec from GM specs, and were fixed free of charge. You also get the before and after alignment spec with color coded before and after specs on the printout. Will be useful if you still have wear issues on the tires and need to show a different alignment shop where they are, and where you want the specs to be, like the dsc alignment specs. Request your freebie, and demand another given the disassembly/reassembly for the part that is being replaced, if you already did the first one.
This ^^^^.

Get that free 4 wheel alignment that comes with your new Corvette.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:04 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^
Joe, that is supposed to be done at around 500 miles. GM may not cover much after. And it is NOT automatic, suggest that anyone that want's it done (everyone should) just call at 400 to 500 miles (after the suspension has set) and say, cars feels like it's pulling slightly to the right (all cars pull to the right slightly due to road camber!) Lets the Dealer put that on his submission to have that covered by GM.

And suggest they do their homework and decide what you want. In my case at 450 miles (I did my own oil change at 500) I gave the service writer a spread sheet with the GM range min and max as well as what I wanted (within that spec range.) Good example was the rear camber on my Grand Sport is "within spec' from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. All C7 alignment specs for camber are +/- 0.6 degrees or a range of 1.2! You can dive a truck through those specs.

When my GS was put on the Hunter alignment machine the rears were set at -1.6 from the factory- "within spec!" (OK if I was Tracking.) In fact only one toe was "in the red' and out a small amount. The dealer tech rightfully could have taken 5 minutes, fixed that toe and said, "all's fine!" BUT I asked for -0.8 rear camber and all toes close to centerline (about zero.) Took him ~45 mnutes to make the adjustments. It's a bit iterative as change the toe and camber changes slightly and visa versa. He got it dead nuts as I watched, at first from the open door in the service bay, my normal MO. Gave his a nice tip which I told him he'd get for a good job!

I signed the free work order that said "customer says....." Service Writer only cared that I gave him a good rating on the call, which I got from the dealer and did give him a 10!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-13-2019 at 02:20 AM.
GeoGS (06-16-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerryU
Joe, that is supposed to be done at around 500 miles. GM may not cover after. And it is NOT automatic, suggest that anyone that want's it done (everyone should) just call at 400 to 500 miles (after the suspension has set) and say, cars feels like it's pulling slightly to the right (all cars pull to the right slightly due to road camber.) Lets the Dealer put that on his submission to have that covered by GM.

And suggest they do their homework and decide what you want. In my case at 450 miles (I did my own oil change at 500) I gave the service writer a spread sheet with the GM range min and max as well as what I wanted. Good example was the rear camber on my Grand Sport is "within spec' from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. OK if I was tracking. All C7 alignment specs for camber are +/- 0.6 degrees or a range of 1.2! You can dive a truck through those specs.

When my GS was put on the Hunter alignment machine the rears were set at -1.6 from the factory- "within spec!" In fact only one toe was "in the red' and out a small amount. The dealer tech rightfully could have taken 5 minjutes, fixed that toe and said, "all's fine!" BUT I asked for -0.8 rear camber and all toes close to centerline (about zero.) Took him ~45 mnutes to make the adjustments. It's a bit iterative as change the toe and camber changes slightly and visa versa. He got it dead nuts as I watched, at first from the open door in the service bay, my normal MO. Gave his a nice tip which I told him he'd get for a good job!
That's great advice. Unfortunately, other than the free oil and oil filter changes, I totally missed my windows for free ****.

I was taking care of a friend 500 miles out-of-State for 5 months that had cancer, while my newly purchased C7 Corvette whiled away the months in my residential garage in Texas. I either drove my Class C diesel coach, or my '06 Mercedes Benz E320, CDI, turbodiesel sedan to and from Tennessee.

I also missed the Spring Mountain $1,000.00 dollar credit, as well as the free NCM entrance fee waiver. FWIW, I've already been to NCM FREE, 13 years
ago. I was passing through in my Class C diesel motorhome, when I saw the GM Plant on I-65, and I pulled off at the exit. Not exactly worth the price of admission. I was admitted free, as I was walking toward the door after they hit me with the ridiculous admission price. I would benefit from the Spring Mountain drivers training, but I'm not a wild ***, reckless street racer as you and many have admitted to being. So, no big loss either for me there.

My very first car was a brand new '74 Cadillac Sedan Deville I bought 45 years ago last month. I had my Dad give me a lift to the Cadillac dealer to pick it up. When I was handing over the $7,100.00 cashiers check to the sales mgr. my Dad requested they do a front end alignment on the new car because he explained that GM cars were known to be out of alignment from the factory.

Me and my brand new 1977 Corvette L82 in Omaha, Nebraska. $9,500.00 out-the-door.

The OP should press for a gratis 4 wheel alignment, as a Good Will gesture for the screwed up new '19 GS rearend. I certainly would. ..

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 06-13-2019 at 02:37 AM.
JerryU (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

My dealer indicated that the "free" alignment had to be completed before 6 months of ownership or 7,500 miles.
Skid Row Joe (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 10:22 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just to clarify, there is no "free alignment" period where any Corvette owner is automatically granted an alignment. GM will cover alignments only after 500 miles and before 7,500 miles with a valid concern that requires it to be checked. In order for GM to cover an alignment under warranty, before and after measurements have to be submitted with the repair order. If the before measurements do not show validation for a concern the customer had, there is no warranty alignment. If there was an issue with toe, caster or camber causing the customer's concern, GM will cover the time to make the necessary adjustments to correct the issue.

I am not sure where the free alignment idea came from, but we've had several customers regurgitate what they read on the forums, half of which is either wrong or just bad advise.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

RRZ06, my bad, should have indicated "no charge" to the customer for the alignment. Service writer asked what the problem was when I had the car in for the alignment. I stated that my stingray pulled to the left [most roads have a slight crown to the right]. Service writer also checked the car's in service date to make sure it was less than 6 months, which it was. You are correct that a valid concern has to be present/stated regarding the alignment.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'm no expert, but to the OP, I'd say get the alignment done, peace of mind and tires are not cheap. My 2 cents.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Just to clarify, there is no "free alignment" period where any Corvette owner is automatically granted an alignment. GM will cover alignments only after 500 miles and before 7,500 miles with a valid concern that requires it to be checked. In order for GM to cover an alignment under warranty, before and after measurements have to be submitted with the repair order. If the before measurements do not show validation for a concern the customer had, there is no warranty alignment. If there was an issue with toe, caster or camber causing the customer's concern, GM will cover the time to make the necessary adjustments to correct the issue.

I am not sure where the free alignment idea came from, but we've had several customers regurgitate what they read on the forums, half of which is either wrong or just bad advise.
That's great advice too. ^^^^

But the fact remains that the alignment will be checked as you've stated, free of charge. The car may not need adjusting after the specs are recorded.

As for JerryU suggesting that you just tell the service writer that you're feeling the car's out of alignment? Well, if that's what it takes to hoodwink the Chev. dealer into checking it, then that's just the lies customers use to get it.

My new C7, didn't and doesn't evidence out of alignment symptoms while driving it. Is it in spec? Who knows. But I don't make up cr@p just to get a free alignment check either. That's low life IMO.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:08 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

As for JerryU suggesting that you just tell the service writer that you're feeling the car's out of alignment? Well, if that's what it takes to hoodwink the Chev. dealer into checking it, then that's just the lies customers use to get it.

My new C7, didn't and doesn't evidence out of alignment symptoms while driving it. Is it in spec? Who knows. But I don't make up cr@p just to get a free alignment check either. That's low life IMO.
It's NOT "hoodwinking the dealer!" There is NO FREE alignment because you ask for it. For them to get paid by GM they have to be checking for a problem! They are NOT going to lie to GM! You're just helping them avoid saying the customer asked to have it checked because they felt XYZ!

If you don't understand that just tell them you want a FREE alignment and see what they say. Some might and some won't as some members have posted!

You can wait to observe poor tire wear first but once started it's a bit too late! As I have said, allowed camber acceptable range is +/- 0.6 degrees of whatever your CenterPoint is for whatever you have base, Z51, Grand Sport etc. That is on the GM spec sheet I have posted a number of times BUT have given up! Some folks just roll their eyes when numbers are mentioned! IF YOU CAN'T READ AND UNDERSTAND that is a very wide acceptable range just roll your eyes!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-27-2019 at 12:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment required?

Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

If they say no,well unless you can get a print out if checked after repairs? I would go for a drive then return and say: Something don't feel right?Then you could be in...
Don't wait like i did.I believe my thread started this whole frenzy about Alignments Lately?Rarely was a alignment thread...WAS
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-tire.html
Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I didn't even try the free alignment song and dance even though I was at <7500 miles at the time, as I figured any aspect of the alignment that's within GM's broad specs will be left as is and likely unacceptable. I wanted a more deliberate street alignment to prolong tire life in all aspects and to my specs, so I just paid them $125 and got it done.
JerryU (07-27-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:53 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I posted my alignment printout in another thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-dealer-2.html; post #50) but I am still seeking an answer. to this question:

Following the alignment, the car is driving great. Less jumpy. BUT the steering wheel is slightly to the right when I am going straight. Not due to road crown.
Can that be fixed without going through the whole alignment process again?

Quick Reply: Alignment required?