Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

ERay gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 11:21 AM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
I really do like what I've read so far on the new eRay and I was hoping to get an answer to one of my questions from this eRay Forum, but I couldn't see where anyone asked my question. I understand that the battery for the front wheels is small and only lasts for a short period of time. My question is how do you engage the front wheels only or how do you engage the full 650+ HP? In other words, if you were traveling down a highway or good 2 lane road at 50 MPH and ran into a horrendous rain storm and wanted to engage 4 wheel drive, how is this done? Or is the AWD feature always active and the battery continuously charges itself as you drive the car or just how does it work? Not necessarily the mechanical end, but how does it function or engage that 4 wheel drive system for the user? If you can only drive 2-3 miles in stealth (quiet) EV mode with no power from the V8 engine, how does one engage just that feature? Or, am I completely fowled up on understanding this feature...could be that! Thanks!
I believed awd at all times unless you depleted your battery and regenerating in progress for a short peroid of time depending on the state of your battery I think? And I would think you can go into stealth at less then 45 mph and up to 45 mph when adequate battery power allow you to do so? ie. pulling up at your destination.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:38 AM
CDNZR
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
You are probably correct. Sadly, the direction I wanted to go would have in reality benefitted 99% of their "base" 99% of the time with their actual driving. What percent actually track? And what percentage of the driving is that? The Z06 was designed as their track star. GM should not have been afraid to focus the ERAY more on the future direction.
We can hope and wish but that's not GM/ CORVETTES DNA. Bargain/best value performance is Corvette. That's why they use NSX, Porsche, Ferrari to compare their new variants against? Mid engine, DCT, FPC and Hybrid from other manufacturers.
Nothing wrong with that. Not a leader majority of the time.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

The more official GM video's I watch thinking if driving the E-Ray in Stealth Mode it will get significantly better mpg! Would not be surprised if it achieved ~30+ mpg in the EPA tests where only a very light throttle is needed.

That is based on several things:
  • A low capacity battery hybrid can get very good mpg. The RAV4 Toyota has an even smaller 1.6 kWh battery versus the E-Ray 1.9 kWh. It gets a combined 38 mpg!
  • In Stealth Mode the E-Ray does operate like a Prius. The ICE shuts off when the car stops . When starting, it runs on electric only until 45 mph when the LT2 turns on.
  • The reason some reporters and GM folks said it will NOT have much better EPA mpg than the C8 relates to what what Tadge posted some time ago re the C7 V8 to V4.
  • Tadge said if enough folks were found to be driving their C7 and defeating the 1 to 4 skip shift in standard shifts and more important for the 75% with automatics were adding V8 to V4 defeat devices, they (GM) would be required to restate their EPA test that way OR block the ability to defeat going to V4!
  • He also said the EPA could make them conduct a statistically valid survey to define what percentage of users were defeating those features.
  • So the E-Ray software change I have said would be needed to be classified as a Prius type in EPA tests would be "requiring" all drive modes to start in Stealth mode and use Stop/Start, no defeat buttons etc.
  • Yep with large throttle openings or WOT in Turing, Sport or Track, shifting could be different as the EPA test does not consider using any more hp than needed to follow their test. Logical as "on average" in normal cursing that is all that is needed.

Food for thought! Yep until a "government" takes the blame for forcing mpg, GM or Ferrari would never do that. Not what most sports car folks want. You have the option of using Stealth so we'll see just what mpg can be achieved with a light throttle foot!

To have the official EPA numbers be a high mpg ALL Drive Modes would have to start in Stealth Mode and have Stop Start not be defeatable. At greater throttle openings than needed to follow this EPA test in Tour, Sport and Track could use different shift rpms etc. Probably no more than ~60 hp required to perform this EPA Drive Cycle

Last edited by JerryU; 01-24-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:27 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 251 Posts

so @JerryU hows the mileage so far?
Old 04-28-2024, 06:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phalse
so @JerryU hows the mileage so far?
With 1100 miles it's about the same as I was getting with my 2020 C8. About 17 to 18 mpg. BUT that is zero Interstate all mostly local miles.

There was a good video with a poster trying to stay in Stealth mode. Not easy. I tried in the ~2-mile twisty road I live on. With some sharp turns even though it's 25 mph limit (most including me doing ~35 mph) not easy. Gave up, evaluating as I have zero need. Not with the way it's programed.

It's not the battery size, it's type and the quick recharging. Toyota had a non-plug-in hybrid in 2022 that had a smaller 1.3 kWh battery (versus the E-Ray's 1.9 kWh that is more like a F1 race car, light and very quick recovery.) The Toyota got 52 mpg in EPA tests.

In Z-Mode, where I often drive (Power set to Track) it's an aggressive recharger. Tadge said it could recharge with almost the same 160 hp it can delivery to the front wheels to drive.

Yep it's designed for performance. That is why I bought it! For my street driving it's perfect!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-28-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:24 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 251 Posts

if its comparable to the stingray then that's more or less that, i'd say. the SR can go an easy 275+ miles on a tank if things don't get too far out of hand.. another nail in the Z06 coffin for me. hmm.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
That's the way i look at it. With about the same power as the C8 Z06 it gets ~25% better EPA average mpg! 19 mpg versus 15 mpg. But you have to use the extra power in both. The E-Ray beats the Z06 0 to 60. BUT if you're a "Track Rat" get the Z06 with steel rotors! Suspension, engine are better for Tracking. E-Ray ride and low noise (compared to my 2020 C8 Z51) are great for the street.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:45 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
With 1100 miles it's about the same as I was getting with my 2020 C8. About 17 to 18 mpg. BUT that is zero Interstate all mostly local miles.

So what exactly is your mpg for total miles to date?
Old 04-29-2024, 11:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
About midway, 17.5 mpg. BUT zero Interstate or long highway miles.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:45 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^^
About midway, 17.5 mpg. BUT zero Interstate or long highway miles.
Actually I was looking for the exact figure - like below. I also do very little highway miles in my C8.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually I was looking for the exact figure - like below. I also do very little highway miles in my C8.

Hmm don’t use dash data or ever look at it! I use a spreadsheet. Next fill up I’ll add total gallons and miles and get an exact number. Now on my phone. Spreadsheet on PC

UPDATE:
Funny just had my E-ray filled. I don't keep a running mpg total and don't use the Trip info. But this is the data. With 1274 miles used 72.98 gallons from day one. That is just as I guessed recalling mpg at each fill from my spreadsheet. 1274/72.98 = 17.456 mpg! All local driving, zero Interstate and few what would be called highways.

Also was looking at the Energy Used data and it showed from day one the energy used and that recovered. Don't recall those values, the were close BUT do the key number. Since I got it, I saved by their data 1.2 gallons of gas. That is a heavy right foot accelerating having fun. As I have said don't have to be going fast. Saw a quick 104 electric hp used when I applied a lot of throttle from about 15 mph! Did not see the LT2 power but in that short spirt, could not have been a lot!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-03-2024 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: ERay gas mileage?