Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Reached 2.5 Seconds Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 01:20 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,194 Posts

are you talking about that one? Or a different timer?

I didn't see a Pic in the first post of it?
Old 03-30-2024, 01:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,800 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
You can't go by the timer...
In my 2023 C8 Z51 it always said 2.8, even when the Dragy was 3.3s.
When it did 3.19, the PDR said 2.8.

I won't even look at the PDR in my c8 Z06.

Sure the in-car PDR will be correct once in a while, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
yeah. I stated that in my post. I've watched the dragy v videos but I will say the quarter mile timer was very close within a .1 of the dragy. Unfortunately you don't get a mph on the pdr unless you go into the cosworth computer program
Old 03-30-2024, 03:40 PM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 489 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 23/C8Z
yeah. I stated that in my post. I've watched the dragy v videos but I will say the quarter mile timer was very close within a .1 of the dragy. Unfortunately you don't get a mph on the pdr unless you go into the cosworth computer program
Makes sense on a longer run, 0.2 difference in the 1/4 is a lot different than 0.2 difference 0-60.
The following users liked this post:
123sugey (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 07:48 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,677 Likes on 6,664 Posts

Originally Posted by 23/C8Z

are you talking about that one? Or a different timer?

I didn't see a Pic in the first post of it?
Yep,
This was my 1st pic

Made this from above pic.

23/C8Z (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 10:20 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,213 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep,
This was my 1st pic

Need to correct your graphic. The e-ray is the quickest; not the fastest. C7 ZR1 can go over 200 MPH; the e-ray isn't that fast
Old 03-30-2024, 10:29 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Yep,
This was my 1st pic

So what is the difference in his picture of timer from ‘23 Z06 and yours as I’m not seeing it?
Old 03-30-2024, 11:47 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
So what is the difference in his picture of timer from ‘23 Z06 and yours as I’m not seeing it?
Mine went the "fastest from a Stop to 60!" I posted my pic not knowing if all 2024's had the test or perhaps all but my 2020 C8 as it did not have it!

Also don't know if this test is tied to the Cosworth PRD that uses a video camera and GPS or accelerometers (more likely IMO.) I recall with the latest MRC they went away from the spindly position sensors that were used to provide input for MRC to accelerometers.

"Compared to previous magnetic ride control dampers, MR 4.0 is a revolution, and completely changes how the Corvette adaptive suspension technology and new accelerometers inputs that have a wonderfully complex but fully tunable system."

Yep posted this pic years ago of the older MRC input devices on the "A" frame.

“There are two main things that happened,” Hurley explains (re the latest MRC.. “One is that we went away from position sensors at each corner calculating roll and pitch, to an actual accelerometer at each corner.”

The result is more accuracy, and therefore more exact control for suspension calibration.

“There’s a lot more fidelity there, a lot more precision,” said Hurley. “You’re getting rid of the linkage and the mechanical bits that are involved in a position sensor. You’ve got a much better signal to work with at each corner to start with.”

Last edited by JerryU; 03-30-2024 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:39 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 605 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03
True AWD like in my Porsche has the ability to send 50% of the power to the front and rear axles if needed.
The Eray only sends 160hp to the front and 495hp to the rear which seems to be enough, more like 25% front 75% rear. Any more horsepower than that and the 160hp would be overmatched IMHO.
The situations where 50% at the front wheels is needed--is a miniscule fraction of driving situations. Anything over 60/40 even--is overkill for most things. Can these things help in situations with wet roads and high-speed cornering? Sure. The rest of the time, you end up with probably more power at the front than you can use.

p.s.
E-AWD is also hugely different in one key way. Torque. Max torque on ICE will vary based on RPM, gearing, etc. But on a motor, that torque can be all available precisely wherever it is mapped (usually down low, where it will be most frequently beneficial on the front wheels of an AWD car). So conceivably you could be making 150 tq at the rear wheels in a given situation, but the front is churning out 135; darn near 50/50.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:24 AM
yell03
Safety Car

Received 489 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
The situations where 50% at the front wheels is needed--is a miniscule fraction of driving situations. Anything over 60/40 even--is overkill for most things. Can these things help in situations with wet roads and high-speed cornering? Sure. The rest of the time, you end up with probably more power at the front than you can use.

p.s.
E-AWD is also hugely different in one key way. Torque. Max torque on ICE will vary based on RPM, gearing, etc. But on a motor, that torque can be all available precisely wherever it is mapped (usually down low, where it will be most frequently beneficial on the front wheels of an AWD car). So conceivably you could be making 150 tq at the rear wheels in a given situation, but the front is churning out 135; darn near 50/50.
I get what you are saying and obviously it works well for launching in the Eray, but I still would prefer a Traditional AWD set-up.
Don't get me wrong, if they put the E-ray set-up on the C8 Z06 I would buy it in a second, 160hp to the front is much better than 0hp to the front.
Old 03-31-2024, 09:02 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Mine went the "fastest from a Stop to 60!" I posted my pic not knowing if all 2024's had the test or perhaps all but my 2020 C8 as it did not have it!

Also don't know if this test is tied to the Cosworth PRD that uses a video camera and GPS or accelerometers (more likely IMO.) I recall with the latest MRC they went away from the spindly position sensors that were used to provide input for MRC to accelerometers.

"Compared to previous magnetic ride control dampers, MR 4.0 is a revolution, and completely changes how the Corvette adaptive suspension technology and new accelerometers inputs that have a wonderfully complex but fully tunable system."

“There are two main things that happened,” Hurley explains (re the latest MRC.. “One is that we went away from position sensors at each corner calculating roll and pitch, to an actual accelerometer at each corner.”

The result is more accuracy, and therefore more exact control for suspension calibration.

“There’s a lot more fidelity there, a lot more precision,” said Hurley. “You’re getting rid of the linkage and the mechanical bits that are involved in a position sensor. You’ve got a much better signal to work with at each corner to start with.”
Happy Easter, so ‘21 is when they switched to 4.0?
JerryU (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 10:53 AM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 7,010 Likes on 2,700 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

JerryU (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 11:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Great video (despite him licking his lips in tight corners!) Voice a bit much but good descriptions.
Can't wait to get >1500 miles and use Launch Control. And he showed all-season tires! I have the ZER option Summer tires!
Old 03-31-2024, 12:17 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 239 Posts

it's an interesting throwback to 1997. My first C5 had the F45 adjustable ride and it utilized that same bar between the lower control arm and sensor. When I switched out the suspension to T1 and Bilstein shocks, I had to put a resistor in the plug to prevent a DTC from triggering.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 03-31-2024 at 12:27 PM.
JerryU (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 02:16 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,742 Likes on 788 Posts

i have the adjustable 4 bar link rear suspension in my street rod set so the "instant center' (look it up in a quality drag race car chassis tuning book like the one from Chris Alston) several feet in front of the car. Adjustable rear coil overs set to offset torque steer for equal tire patch load at launch.........

And a twin turbo C8, as the one in pic I posted, is probably set a good as possible. BUT the C8 does not have a suspension designed for that much power NOR is it adjustable as a quality drag race chassis!!
You have the instant center low and below the anti-squat line so you're getting the benefit of a little extra rear traction on launch I think? Corvettes usually have a good amount of anti-squat/dive which actually helps the front motor traction in that first half-second after launch; after that initial rotation, the anti-squat doesn't matter and it only depends on the cg height and wheelbase. At some point, given enough traction and torque, the E-Ray will unload the front wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedLS6:
JerryU (03-31-2024), PRE-Z06 (03-31-2024)
Old 03-31-2024, 03:59 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 605 Posts

Looks like 50%+ of ER's have been ordered in gray.

Shinobi'sZ (03-31-2024)
Old 04-01-2024, 01:16 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Got to 2.5 Seconds 0 to 60 today! Yea I know can't go by GM's timer BUT on the same 3/4 mile long road, right after I reached 500 miles tried 3 times. All 3 were 2.7 seconds. Thought, have to wait until I get ~1500 miles where I will use what GM calls Boost Shift, putting power through both clutches slipping them for a few milliseconds on launch!

So today's result is interesting as straight, brake, press throttle release brake resulted in reaching 2.5 seconds. What occurred today from the start may be of interest:
  • At 10:30 took friend for a short ride. Cloudy and 55F (tomorrow will start the day at 37 and will only be ~50 by noon.) On a 0 to 60 run, rear tire lost traction. With those 345's hard to understand so attribute to my ZER Summer tires and 55 temp.
  • Went into town as promissed anther friend who wanted to see the car. Had his staff come out. When I left, they were standing to hear the E-Ray as I took off, rolling at about 10 mph a chirp as a tire lost traction as I accelerated.
  • On the ~25 mile, back road trip home kept it in Z-Mode. Noticed it was charging the battery with ~25 hp showing on the gauge. Battery was charging past the 80% max I saw in MY Mode. You'll not in pic, after 30 to 107 and the 0 to 60 test it was 91%,
  • Turned onto the 3/4 mile long road near my home, mostly farm fields on the sides, and with WOT accelerated from ~30 mph to 107. Stopped to try a 0 to 60 run, expecting possibly some tire spin. It was 63F, zero spin and dash showed whet you see below. Assume driving in Z-Mode for ~25 miles caused the battery to be at a high % charge as the `80% I saw in MY Mode. Rounding that corner fast and accelerating to 107 probably put some heat in the tires. But no tire sound and this 2.5 second result.
  • PS: understand may not be super accurate but same road I tried on 3 times and only reached 2.7 seconds (matching Tim McGraw record of how long he stayed on a Bull named Fu Man Chu! ) As Einstein would say, it's all relative!
I would still have default AS tires and get a summer set for tracking even in NC..
"Supposedly" MRC is tweaked for ZER option, does anybody have details on that?
Old 04-01-2024, 01:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Yep, it definitely gets colder in NC as well other parts of SC. But in the NE SC we have the benefit of the ocean temps moderating how cold it gets. I seldom have to drive when below 40F. Has not snowed in 3+ years and when it did, gone by noon.

Had not heard that re MRC.

Get notified of new replies

To Reached 2.5 Seconds Today

Old 04-01-2024, 01:44 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

^^^^
Yep, it definitely gets colder in NC as well other parts of SC. But in the NE SC we have the benefit of the ocean temps moderating how cold it gets. I seldom have to drive when below 40F. Has not snowed in 3+ years and when it did, gone by noon.

Had not heard that re MRC.
I live on Cape Cod, so similar for much of the year.. has AS on SR.. perfect here..
on MRC this is noted: "The ZER Package will outfit your E-Ray with the Michelin summer only performance tires and you’ll receive the FED Suspension with Magnetic Selective Ride Control that is programmed specifically to the E-Ray"
Old 04-01-2024, 03:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
Yep that IMO is marketing Hype! At the Steve Garrett Podcast after the last BASH, Tadge, John Holder and Harlan Charles laughed as they said it was the E-Ray is the 1st model where they did not have to change ANYTHING when they went to Summer tires. They usually tell folks can't switch without a compromise as settings, bushing compliance that match tire construction and thread compound etc are different. They said NOT with the E-Ray.

So not sure what the descriptive words mean on the Option List or why there is a different suspension code. Good question to ask at this years BASH!
Old 04-01-2024, 06:54 PM
Bob MacLean
Instructor

^^^^
Yep that IMO is marketing Hype! At the Steve Garrett Podcast after the last BASH, Tadge, John Holder and Harlan Charles laughed as they said it was the E-Ray is the 1st model where they did not have to change ANYTHING when they went to Summer tires. They usually tell folks can't switch without a compromise as settings, bushing compliance that match tire construction and thread compound etc are different. They said NOT with the E-Ray.

So not sure what the descriptive words mean on the Option List or why there is a different suspension code. Good question to ask at this years BASH!
Great... Glad I could share info "you never heard about" and now tell me all about it..
Tell blogger to edit it as well..
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2023...y-to-cost-500/

Quick Reply: Reached 2.5 Seconds Today