Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Vibe Motorsports

Edmunds U-Drag Eray vs 750S

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:35 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Received 3,287 Likes on 2,204 Posts

I guess it's similar to the mach E-GT where it uses full "boost" for the first 5 seconds on launch, then it reverts back to normal optimal power. I guess to preserve battery or to prioritize overall range vs peak performance.

Of course this is not the same for the ERAY since it's a hybrid but that would be a bummer if the battery is only good for short bursts at a time.

Old 04-11-2024, 09:55 AM
dw886
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS6
This guy makes the mistake of dynoing in 5th gear; then he does a 4th gear pull, then 3rd; results are about as expected as the power picks up slightly in 3rd probably due to motor back-emf being reduced at 3rd gear speeds.

The electric motors have 3 main operating regions as speed increases, assuming no loss in battery voltage; off-idle from a start up to the motor's base speed, constant torque; as motor speed increases further this constant torque region is followed by linear torque drop with constant power, further speed increases are followed by back-emf power drop. Then. specific to the E-Ray is the 150mph cutoff.

I think the various dyno's have shown all of these regions. If anyone gets a full recording of the dash-displayed motor power from 0-150 then should be able to roughly pick out all of these operating transition points just from the dash. For the E-Ray, gear selection on the dyno will be important to capture what the motor is doing at any given vehicle speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7KD..._HB2XZ8&t=679s
Couple of interesting things in the comments / video:
1.) At the end there's a roll of random clips. There's a clip at the end that shows him at a drag strip in the E-ray. I'm guessing there's a video coming on that.
2.) In the comments, he says he ran a 2.0 0-60. Doesn't say if that's with the PDR, the dash, or if that's what they used to calculate that, but he says there's another youtuber that he thinks has it on video.
3.) He unplugged the speaker for the church-bell chimes that you hear when driving it in stealth mode.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:59 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 605 Posts

The motor only needs to be providing short bursts, imho. I think the battery is capable of sustaining somewhat more. I guess it's better to think of the ER as SR power with AWD when you can benefit most from it. It is neither designed nor intended to have full time FWD power added.

p.s.
Maybe someone can do a dyno in stealth mode and get it up to 39 MPH just to test what the output is.
The following users liked this post:
PRE-Z06 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
Battery being more depleted during the return leg doesn't matter unless it is literally choking power output from the motor.

I do not believe that even with the limited capacity of the batteries in the ER, that the motor is capable of blasting through the entire charge 30 seconds. I think GM intentionally sized the motor for output of an intended mean duration--based on that battery capacity. So the down leg may go from 80-60% and the return leg may go from 60-30%. But you still have battery and the motor wouldn't be starved of power.
You’re assuming they allow full power to the motors at decreased battery capacity. I assume it drops as it’s lowered and not in a linear rate either necessarily. At the same time the output from the motor drops as speed increases and aero drag increases exponentially as well, so to me all those things add up to why the E-Ray isn’t efficient at higher speeds. On a road course there may be time for the battery to recharge in the corners, but the U-Drag isn’t that kind of test. I’d like to see back to back laps on a road course to see the difference in lap times, though heat may be a factor in the results.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:39 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
You’re assuming they allow full power to the motors at decreased battery capacity. I assume it drops as it’s lowered and not in a linear rate either necessarily. At the same time the output from the motor drops as speed increases and aero drag increases exponentially as well, so to me all those things add up to why the E-Ray isn’t efficient at higher speeds. On a road course there may be time for the battery to recharge in the corners, but the U-Drag isn’t that kind of test. I’d like to see back to back laps on a road course to see the difference in lap times, though heat may be a factor in the results.
As with teslas, the SOC determines power output.

I notice a drop in power once i see my car go below 50% SOC.

This might be the case with the ERAY and it's small battery.
PRE-Z06 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 10:41 AM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,742 Likes on 788 Posts

I get the back emf, but not sure how to assign it a value. In the case of the U-drag my point was the battery is being depleted the whole 30+seconds expect during the braking and the corner which means the return run it’s making less power regardless of the increased drag from wind direction changing from tail to head which exacerbates the delta even more. .
If it's a decent battery it should lose 1-2% of its voltage going from 80% down to 40-30% and increasing past that, so this isn't a huge impact by itself but it is an impact - and I don't think we know exactly how much the software is beginning to current-limit as 20% is approached. I think we saw during the road course test that performance begins to suffer as the battery depletes which is expected. GM really hasn't released much detailed information about this drive system, past the "general public basics". Also, the regen becomes less efficient as speed increases, as back-emf works against it and the motor can only regenerate kinetic energy and can't regenerate power gone to aero losses.
PRE-Z06 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 11:30 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedLS6
If it's a decent battery it should lose 1-2% of its voltage going from 80% down to 40-30% and increasing past that, so this isn't a huge impact by itself but it is an impact - and I don't think we know exactly how much the software is beginning to current-limit as 20% is approached. I think we saw during the road course test that performance begins to suffer as the battery depletes which is expected. GM really hasn't released much detailed information about this drive system, past the "general public basics". Also, the regen becomes less efficient as speed increases, as back-emf works against it and the motor can only regenerate kinetic energy and can't regenerate power gone to aero losses.
The regeneration is creating more heat in the system as well, which lessens efficiency. That’s something else I realized about my time on track in the Tesla. Initially the thought was to have regen set to high to conserve battery life and brakes, but it caused it to get hotter quicker. Power is heat regardless of charging or discharging and nothing is free, there’s always some kind of trade off. Same thing with electric RC cars from my younger days. The higher the load the shorter the battery lasts, the higher the load the hotter it gets and the shorter it lasts. The faster it charges, the hotter it gets.
RedLS6 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 01:58 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 921 Likes on 605 Posts

My read was that the return leg motor power was more due to the ER being moving already--vs from a dig. You're right though, we don't know what the mapping is. If they were right and it was at 50% after the first complete run--I'm inclined to think that artificial "throttling" of the motor wasn't a factor. If I were mapping something like hybrid drive from scratch, I'd try to put the taper at 40% and ramping down until almost nothing at 20%. Anything higher than 40% and you'd end up spending too much time with throttled output. And the ER is designed to both rapidly charge and discharge (according to the engineers).
Old 04-11-2024, 06:17 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by 3LZR21U
My read was that the return leg motor power was more due to the ER being moving already--vs from a dig. You're right though, we don't know what the mapping is. If they were right and it was at 50% after the first complete run--I'm inclined to think that artificial "throttling" of the motor wasn't a factor. If I were mapping something like hybrid drive from scratch, I'd try to put the taper at 40% and ramping down until almost nothing at 20%. Anything higher than 40% and you'd end up spending too much time with throttled output. And the ER is designed to both rapidly charge and discharge (according to the engineers).
Lets say the wind switching inflated/deflated the numbers 2mph, then the Z06 should have trapped 132 and the E-Ray 128 in the 1/4 and for the finish line 143 for the Z06 and 138 for E-Ray. I suppose that disparity isn’t out of reason given the weight difference then vs the 130 for both in the 1/4 and 145/136 at the finish. Hope they run both on the same day, so we can see for sure.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:47 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

That video is coming up soon for sure.

It's not competition. Both cars are great for their own right but i know GM won't let the Z lose, especially if any cornering is involved. It will make them look bad. The ERAY will showcase it's great acceleration to 60, and z06 should pick up the slack everywhere else.

Can't wait to see the video.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:09 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK
That video is coming up soon for sure.

It's not competition. Both cars are great for their own right but i know GM won't let the Z lose, especially if any cornering is involved. It will make them look bad. The ERAY will showcase it's great acceleration to 60, and z06 should pick up the slack everywhere else.

Can't wait to see the video.
The Z06 was quicker time wise to the finish, so no doubt it wins. I’d prefer they use a base Z06 and ZER E-Ray, so they’re on the same tires and aero package.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:47 AM
Z0HS1CK
Race Director

The Z06 was quicker time wise to the finish, so no doubt it wins. I’d prefer they use a base Z06 and ZER E-Ray, so they’re on the same tires and aero package.
These internet guys all use the same car so we're going to get the same Z07 quipped z06 with the same ERAY in their most recent video with the mac.

But at least it's better than nothing. At least it'll be same day, and they switch drivers and i believe lanes?

z06 will win it but i think it'll be closer than just comparing the 2 cars' times from the different races against other cars.
PRE-Z06 (04-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Edmunds U-Drag Eray vs 750S