Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2023, 07:14 PM
lyri
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
You don't say what year your car is but 2024 has an Android Automotive OS. Whenever I insert a USB or SD card into a device with an Android OS it puts several system folders on it.
My bad, yeah it's the 2024 though so that tracks.
That's a pretty weird thing to do though, but in any case it should have done it a month ago when I first plugged it in. So kinda odd it decided to stop recognizing things just now, maybe it accidentally attempted to read one of the system files and just got into an error loop, or thought one of the directories were a playlist and just moved in there but refused to move out? (Which again would be weird because I didn't touch anything related to music on the drive over while it was working)
Old 12-14-2023, 11:36 AM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,497 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by lyri
An actual problem I did run into today.
My C8 seems to have corrupted my USB drive I use for music. Randomly it stopped recognizing the files on the USB last night despite not having touched it in days.

It wasn't anything major, but the only thing I had on there were .mp3 files, when I ran a basic repair on it however it brought up a bunch of android system directories on the USB making me think that the car was attempting to write to the USB or was creating system folders during it's indexing of the songs and was probably just touching folders/files while doing so for some reason. I probably should have saved it off for troubleshooting sake, but I didn't see anything that was particularly note worthy, just mostly empty directories and a few files, so I just deleted the files and the repairs seems to have worked.

However it's still a bit of a weird issue. Anyone else run into that?
Happened to me with a samsung thumbdrive. I had it loaded up with MP3's, was working fine for quite a while, then the drive stopped working.
Tried to read the USB-C thumbdrive on my PC and it was unreadable. I reformatted it and it was still working. At this point I switched to using a CarPlay based AI box.

Really sucks because GM is now saying they will remove all AndroidAuto and CarPlay integration. How long before a "experience boosting" OTA update removes these features from existing cars?
I don't buy their excuse because I used a WIRED connection and there is never any hiccups, latency or issues. I definitely don't pay for their Onstar data plan and don't pay for their infotainment center based GPS maps though. I bet that has a lot more to do with their decision.
BYE BYE INTEGRATION!
The following users liked this post:
LS WON (12-14-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:14 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

there’s been a lot of reports of howling noise coming from the rear end of a lot of the Corvettes. I wonder if anyone is taking the survey or a count
Old 12-19-2023, 01:07 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
there’s been a lot of reports of howling noise coming from the rear end of a lot of the Corvettes. I wonder if anyone is taking the survey or a count
Like the DCT issues a count of what you describe would come up with a statistically inaccurate result. I've never heard any howling noise coming from the rear of my 2021 after 2+ years of ownership.
Undy (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:18 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Like the DCT issues a count of what you describe would come up with a statistically inaccurate result. I've never heard any howling noise coming from the rear of my 2021 after 2+ years of ownership.
I am calling bullshit actually on this one. I have been following the C8 since it was first unveiled, and got mine in June of 2021, and active on the problems threads. "Howling" rear ends... OK. YEP. GOTCHA!

There's DI noises, exhaust valve noises, sometimes noises from a problem with the eLSD (appears to be super rare), sometimes noises due to a broken valve spring, etc.
Howling from the rear end??? Did it sound somewhat like an internet troll being left behind at the light?
Zed Sled (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 01:23 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dohabandit
I am calling bullshit actually on this one. I have been following the C8 since it was first unveiled, and got mine in June of 2021, and active on the problems threads. "Howling" rear ends... OK. YEP. GOTCHA!

There's DI noises, exhaust valve noises, sometimes noises from a problem with the eLSD (appears to be super rare), sometimes noises due to a broken valve spring, etc.
Howling from the rear end??? Did it sound somewhat like an internet troll being left behind at the light?
What exactly are you calling BS on in my post?
Old 12-19-2023, 01:35 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Not your post, the Bondojon post you responded too.
Old 12-19-2023, 01:40 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Not your post, the Bondojon post you responded too.
OK......that makes sense. The only thing I hear from the rear of my car - especially with the HTC down - is the burbling of the exhaust as I use the paddle shifters to engine brake.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:36 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

There's a lot of tire noise. There's a droning exhaust noise that can be much worse with some aftermarket exhaust systems, etc.
Search the forum for "howling" and you will see very little from anyone. There's a post from bondojon though.

The closest thing I could think would be the diff noise that some people have experienced. Usually described as a whine vs a howl.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...xle-whine.html

Not saying he doesn't have a weird howling sound from his car, anything is possible, but I haven't heard of a huge number of people complaining about this issue that it would warrant trying to analyze the number of reports.
I think the best advice has already been delivered, take it to the dealer. Do a check ride with a tech.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:47 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

There's a lot of tire noise.
I have the non-Z51 and think the tire noise is worse than my C7. I had the Michelin Cup tires on my C7 but I replaced them with some Michelin Pilot AS3+ tires and it virtually eliminated the noise. It also all but eliminated the Ackerman effect. When my all-seasons wear out on the C8 I'm going to have to research and buy a better Michelin all season tire to see if it will eliminate the tire noise.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:52 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

There are many examples of problems on the forums with noises coming from the rear end. I have a new 23 and I can hear a howling coming from my rear end. I’ve been an automotive mechanic for many years and I know what a rear end (differential) sound.
I just read a reply from a person who bought a new C8. As he was driving it out of the dealership he heard the howling noise from the differential. He said he was going to turn around and go back to the dealership but decided not to because of the other problems he hear about with noise from the rear end. Just do a search. You’ll find this problem on many C8. Mine included. I brought it to the dealer and he said it was normal. That’s what they’re telling everyone else.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:58 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Put a recording device in the back of the car and see if you can grab some samples of the sound to share.
I hear a lot of noises back there, but not howling.
Fast Dawg (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 04:18 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Here’s a link from one person who recorded the noise.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-issue.html
Old 12-19-2023, 09:06 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

I've seen a few posts about a rear end whine at certain speeds, but not a howl. It's a very faint whine. Mine does it between around 60 and 62 mph. Goes away above 62 and below 60. Again, very faint and not worried about it.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:37 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

And strangely, most of the differential noises are from non-Z51 cars. Wonder that the source of the noise is. Wish GM had used a Torsen diff.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:03 PM
improviz
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 124 Posts

Well guess what: I got a new transmission in my 2020 SR Z51 from the nonexistent howling phenomenon. I guess I was pretty good at bullshitting the regional GM tech into thinking something that wasn’t there was there…

here is a recording of the sound I was getting. You can hear it when the vehicle is going a steady speed.
https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/499402442

Last edited by improviz; 12-19-2023 at 10:10 PM.
TARANTULA (12-20-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 10:06 PM
improviz
Racer

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
Here’s a link from one person who recorded the noise.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ine-issue.html
Yep. That was me. Got a new tranny in early 2021 and enjoyed it with no further issues up until a few months ago when traded it in on my 2023 Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 problems

Old 12-21-2023, 10:42 AM
improviz
Racer

Originally Posted by Usma121
Read this full guide about problem and fixes. (Link removed, buh-bye spam!
sorry, I don’t click on links from new posters with two posts to their credit

Last edited by improviz; 12-21-2023 at 11:41 AM.
LS WON (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:19 AM
4camV8
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Could Be DCT

Early in my ownership experience my car (2022) tripped a CEL. It was DCT related, though my car behaved normally.

The light disappeared after a few cycles and the stored codes were pulled by my nearby Dealer/Service Dept. In an attempt to diagnose GM Technology had my local Tech call/ask me a few questions relative to the cars behavior. One thing he asked/they wanted to know was if I had a notable WHINE?? answer was no, not at all. They went on to explain that they’ve seen a notable whine in connection with abnormally high pressure (in the DCT, the pumps that supply fluid). Again I didn’t have this particular issue but found it interesting and memorable that they would mention… FWIW
The following 2 users liked this post by 4camV8:
Fast Dawg (12-21-2023), Zed Sled (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:33 AM
sleekvt
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
I have the non-Z51 and think the tire noise is worse than my C7.[snip].
I had 2016 C7 for 60K miles non-Z51 - traded in on 2023 C8 HTC Z51

The 2023 C8 tire noise (have 14K miles now) started to get louder around ~10K miles.
And it definitely seems louder than my C7 ever did.

Obviously different car/non-Z51/Z51 and different tires, but still surprising.
I've heard that run flat tires tend to get louder as they age but on the C8 it definitely seems louder than my previous C7.
Unclear how much Z51 would contribute here (if any) to straight continuous driving tire noise.

Quick Reply: C8 problems