Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM
GatorsJMC
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin93
Seems like a short term gain, long term loss if they’re selling to insurance companies at the expense of their direct customers.

That is, unless “suggestions to make us better drivers” refers to throttle application after apex.
This ^^^^

More nannies;- or maybe a HUGE Karen...

Last edited by GatorsJMC; 09-14-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:10 AM
LE MANSZ
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 545 Likes on 268 Posts

Posted by Electron Mike in the C8 Z06 forum:

Originally Posted by Electron Mike
So they are definitely selling this data if you are enrolled:
https://risk.lexisnexis.com/about-us...gm-partnership

"ATLANTALexisNexis® Risk Solutions, a leading provider of data, analytics and technology, today announced that General Motors (NYSE: GM) has selected the LexisNexis® Telematics Exchange, a device-agnostic telematics ecosystem, as its preferred portal for sharing consumer-approved connected car data with insurers. "
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
JohnEaton (09-20-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 09:38 AM
LE MANSZ
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 545 Likes on 268 Posts

My Corvette is currently en route/being shipped to MacMulkin. Should I tell them not to activate OnStar?

I don't see what actually useful features I can get from OnStar that aren't already accessible from within the car itself.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:01 AM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,910 Likes on 843 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by LE MANSZ
My Corvette is currently en route/being shipped to MacMulkin. Should I tell them not to activate OnStar?

I don't see what actually useful features I can get from OnStar that aren't already accessible from within the car itself.
Let them turn it on if you want it, just turn off the setting in the mychevy app on your phone.

Last edited by SMOKN C8; 09-14-2023 at 10:07 AM.
Maxie2U (09-15-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 10:10 AM
1 STING
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by LE MANSZ

Why not have it activated then after the dust settles you can pick and choose what to keep and what to delete.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:50 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I see this post has taken on a life in a few places. Going to post this in a couple of the threads:
  • You should be right to be concerned about your privacy, as many companies are looking to make money however they can with your data -- fortunately regulations are in place and coming to assist consumers.
  • Onstar and GM don't have the best history with privacy decisions having reversed the biggest one (still collecting data after you shut off) after consumer and privacy advocate outcry, so being alert to their practices is good habit
  • HOWEVER, Onstar isn't selling your information (at least identifiable to you) just because you get your driving score. They do not sell information to insurance unless you've opted into one of their programs where they partner with insurance companies. There's a lot of leaping to conclusions in these threads.
  • Even though unless you opt-in to sharing your information, OnStar is probably better or no worse than many others, it is still good to exercise your rights. You should read the privacy statements of all the companies that might have your data and follow the opt-out instructions that are appropriate for you.
For GM/Onstar go to: https://www.gm.com/consumer-privacy and opt out. It's not the best site because you have to fill out the form for different things, but at the very least, select "Do not sell my personal information" and follow the instructions. Feel free to ask for it to be deleted as well if you prefer. Electing your privacy choices is probably better and more realistic options than trying to disable the system all-together.

As noted, Onstar isn't the only company that had lots of data related to your activities. If that type of tracking bothers you, please be alert for all services you participate in, read the privacy policy, and opt out where it is best for you.

The following 15 users liked this post by z28lt1:
1 STING (09-14-2023), AORoads (09-17-2023), bigblock427 (03-12-2024), Blue Lion (03-10-2024), brown007 (09-15-2023), Dads2kconvertible (09-14-2023), Elkwood (03-13-2024), GatorsJMC (04-11-2024), JimB. (09-14-2023), JTBogus (09-14-2023), LE MANSZ (09-14-2023), LeJerk (09-15-2023), RapidC84B (03-11-2024), StormTrooper R (09-15-2023), Vette_17 (03-22-2024) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:17 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,771 Likes on 3,040 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Be careful out there, big brother is watching you
StormTrooper R (09-15-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:54 AM
snork
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert_s
I checked and saw that I had been enrolled. I unenrolled. Wtf. Thanks for the heads up.
you may have unenrolled but the system still collects and distributes driving data
Old 09-15-2023, 12:35 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by z28lt1
I see this post has taken on a life in a few places. Going to post this in a couple of the threads:
  • You should be right to be concerned about your privacy, as many companies are looking to make money however they can with your data -- fortunately regulations are in place and coming to assist consumers.
  • Onstar and GM don't have the best history with privacy decisions having reversed the biggest one (still collecting data after you shut off) after consumer and privacy advocate outcry, so being alert to their practices is good habit
  • HOWEVER, Onstar isn't selling your information (at least identifiable to you) just because you get your driving score. They do not sell information to insurance unless you've opted into one of their programs where they partner with insurance companies. There's a lot of leaping to conclusions in these threads.
  • Even though unless you opt-in to sharing your information, OnStar is probably better or no worse than many others, it is still good to exercise your rights. You should read the privacy statements of all the companies that might have your data and follow the opt-out instructions that are appropriate for you.
For GM/Onstar go to: https://www.gm.com/consumer-privacy and opt out. It's not the best site because you have to fill out the form for different things, but at the very least, select "Do not sell my personal information" and follow the instructions. Feel free to ask for it to be deleted as well if you prefer. Electing your privacy choices is probably better and more realistic options than trying to disable the system all-together.

As noted, Onstar isn't the only company that had lots of data related to your activities. If that type of tracking bothers you, please be alert for all services you participate in, read the privacy policy, and opt out where it is best for you.
OnStar is probably better or no worse than many others”

The worst company I encountered and found out by accident is KIA! I found out after a year of owning a KIA they were tracking everywhere I went from the time I started the engine until I shut it off. There was no way to deactivate tracking in the nav system. I called KIA Customer Service and they said, sorry we have no way of disabling that “feature”. I escalated my complaint to IT and I finally got to speak with an engineer in that department who confirmed there was no way for an owner to disable it not even KIA could! I sold the car because I no longer needed 3 cars.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:27 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
The car can connect to your home Wi-Fi too, right Andy?
If so, it might be interesting to use Wireshark to capture everything from the car's IP address for a few days and see what it's sending. That probably would not be everything, since the 4G connection is still there but it might show some stuff.
Anyone who wants to collaborate on such a project PM me. You would want to assign a fixed IP for your car and port forwarding to wherever you're running Wireshark. Someone else has probably done it already but maybe not on a Corvette.
If the car transmits data while you're driving, you obviously won't capture that while connected to your WiFi hotspot.
Old 09-15-2023, 01:44 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,639 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
OnStar is probably better or no worse than many others”

The worst company I encountered and found out by accident is KIA! I found out after a year of owning a KIA they were tracking everywhere I went from the time I started the engine until I shut it off. There was no way to deactivate tracking in the nav system. I called KIA Customer Service and they said, sorry we have no way of disabling that “feature”. I escalated my complaint to IT and I finally got to speak with an engineer in that department who confirmed there was no way for an owner to disable it not even KIA could! I sold the car because I no longer needed 3 cars.
And how do you know GM isn't collecting and sending the same info?
Old 09-15-2023, 02:30 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,298 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
And how do you know GM isn't collecting and sending the same info?
I don’t but with KIA I didn’t have to speculate they admitted to it.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:46 PM
Didier9
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads2kconvertible
The car can connect to your home Wi-Fi too, right Andy?
If so, it might be interesting to use Wireshark to capture everything from the car's IP address for a few days and see what it's sending. That probably would not be everything, since the 4G connection is still there but it might show some stuff.
Anyone who wants to collaborate on such a project PM me. You would want to assign a fixed IP for your car and port forwarding to wherever you're running Wireshark. Someone else has probably done it already but maybe not on a Corvette.
There is a good chance that the data is encrypted anyways.
At the moment, I have a few unknown/unnamed devices on my WiFi network, but I have A LOT of stuff connected in addition to the cars (I am a software geek and I have a lot of WiFi modules of various origin) so it's not obvious what is the MAC address of the cars and none of the device names (other than "unknown" or "--") ring a bell. I need to setup a separate access point just for the cars, that will be easier.
Dads2kconvertible (05-15-2024)
Old 09-15-2023, 07:25 PM
StormTrooper R
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Didier9
There is a good chance that the data is encrypted anyways.
At the moment, I have a few unknown/unnamed devices on my WiFi network, but I have A LOT of stuff connected in addition to the cars (I am a software geek and I have a lot of WiFi modules of various origin) so it's not obvious what is the MAC address of the cars and none of the device names (other than "unknown" or "--") ring a bell. I need to setup a separate access point just for the cars, that will be easier.
Create a new SSID on one of your existing APs or all of them, and only tell your car about the new SSID. It will be real easy to find.
Dads2kconvertible (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:11 PM
SMOKN C8
Drifting

Received 1,910 Likes on 843 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you don’t want to be “tracked” then buy a non-computer controlled car and leave your “modern” phone at home.

The following 2 users liked this post by SMOKN C8:
Jacques Albrecht (09-17-2023), Maxie2U (09-17-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 10:21 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,016 Likes on 473 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by JQUICK
Taken from the Z06 forums thanks to ElectronMike:

Heads up if you haven't seen this.. even after my OnStar initial trial was over, I checked the MyChevrolet app and noticed that they are tracking and reporting driving habits including what they consider hard acceleration and hard braking events. I disabled this in the app by going to "more" in the bottom right and then unenrolling from Chevrolet Smart Driver. It was on by default in my case. A few of my friends mentioned their information has been sold and even ended up on their credit report in some cases as C8 owners.

They literally assign you a driving score!
don't forget the tin foil hat...lol....
tadda (09-16-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,554 Likes on 14,110 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Never knew that OnStar kept monitoring even with no subscription. Scary thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history

Old 09-16-2023, 01:12 PM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

I just enrolled. The dealer has my car for service until Monday so now I have this data in case they delete the on board video driving data. I trust this dealer as I've used them for years, but there is no one I trust 100%
Old 09-16-2023, 01:40 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 875 Likes on 437 Posts

I keep getting "unexpected app error need to update app", but have no idea how.
The app opens properly....
When I go to Smart Driver, I get the app error...
Old 09-16-2023, 02:14 PM
ClarkN
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

No longer enrolled. Found something interesting though. It said my last trip I travelled over 80 mph. I did not drive over 40 mph as it is impossible to do so in my neighborhood and my route to the store in heavy beach traffic on a Saturday. So it’s reporting false information or WAS.
StormTrooper R (09-17-2023)

Quick Reply: Mega merge - Onstar is reporting your driving history