Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Tint Percentage

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2024, 12:12 PM
GSD4me
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Victory2024@
Just curious how much is he charging you for the entire PPF and ceramic coating ?
I did my own ceramic it looks fantastic
Was quoted 1400 for the ceramic .
2200 for the PPF ,I said no thanks not worth it .
Well, then you'd REALLY say "not worth it" in my case. I'd rather not reveal the price, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the price you mentioned They are located in Boca Raton. Am having the entire C8 PPF'd and Ceramic Coated (including taking off wheels and coating them). They're using Expel Ultimate Fusion and Expel Ultimate Fusion Ceramic Coating.

Lets put it this way, my 2024 3LT Stingray is probably among the very cheapest cars they've done, and they've been around for many years. I've been there twice. Each time they had a different Porsche GT3RS ( one of which is tracked so gets the full PPF 3-times a year). Saw a Porsche Turbo, and a stunning 2024 Rapid Blue Z06 too. They were recommended by my Corvette Saleman as the very best. He also said Ferrarri's are driven from the dock straight
to this place; and from seeing all the pics on the wall, they sure have a high end clientele.

I'm having this done because the car will be outside in the tropical downpours and scorching hot sun of South Florida, and will be my daily drive. The German Shepherd to the far left gets the 1992 300zx to shed, slobber and puke to his heart's content...

Last edited by GSD4me; 03-10-2024 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSD4me:
CorvetteBrent (03-11-2024), Mitchell_B (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 12:22 PM
Red rag
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 461 Posts

I did 5% on the ASI brow (almost opaque)and 35% on the side windows. I like the look personally but to each their own. I’m actually illegal in Ohio as the sides are only allowed to be 50% but 35% really doesn’t even look real dark. The brow to me is nice since the visors are so small but I wouldn’t darken the entire windshield.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:09 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
Actually, a 70% VLT windshield with 70% film would be progressively darker than 70%. FMVSS state no glazer may supply for use in the US, front or side glass with lower VLT than 70%. Some states allow for the sides to then go a little darker. And the top band above the AS1 line can be darker, but not below.
True, but the restrictions are absurd. Here in Southwest Florida, cars without super dark tint get unbearably hot, far worse than with tint. Nearly everybody here has illegal tint. The super dark 5% tint is quite popular here, but 10% and 15% are common, too. I don't know the percentage of my tint, but it's rather dark. The previous California owner had the tint installed, including on the windshield, but he removed the windshield tint before selling the car to me. Cops occasionally write tickets for it, but enforcement seems to be random or arbitrary. Ultimately, tickets for tint are a revenue generator and little more. What does surprise me, though, is the number of darkly tinted windshields. I don't see how those people can drive at night. One final note: Virtually every tint shop here is ready and willing to install illegally dark tint.

Last edited by CorvetteBrent; 03-11-2024 at 09:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GSD4me (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:16 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Default Tickets for illegal tint

Originally Posted by C2Red64
Never been pulled over, and been tinting my vehicles the same way for over 15 years. Even my work suv, chevy blazer is tinted 5% sides and rear, 35% front. Its overblown that cops pull people over for illegal tint, and this is coming from someone who does roadtrips 3-4x a year.
Unfortunately, some cops do write tickets for illegal tint here in Southwest Florida. It doesn't make a dent in the overall millions of Florida drivers who have dark tint. The cops especially go after young drivers with dark tint. One young guy was parked at a convenience store/gas station near my neighborhood when a cop pulled in at wrote 7 illegal tint tickets (one for each tinted window on the car) against the poor kid.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:30 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red rag
I did 5% on the ASI brow (almost opaque)and 35% on the side windows. I like the look personally but to each their own. I’m actually illegal in Ohio as the sides are only allowed to be 50% but 35% really doesn’t even look real dark. The brow to me is nice since the visors are so small but I wouldn’t darken the entire windshield.
Florida law says 28% tint is acceptable on front side windows and 15% is acceptable on rear side and rear itself. That said, almost everybody here has less than 28% on their front side windows. and some have dark tint covering the entire windshield.
The following users liked this post:
GSD4me (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:48 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

1, it's a law. 2, the police should enforce laws. 3, I'm sure there was a reason the police officer wrote those 7 tickets. More than just that they were tinted.

I'm not saying don't tint your windows. I'm saying you accept the risk of a ticket or worse if you do.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:04 AM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
True, but the restrictions are absurd. Here in Southwest Florida, cars without super dark tint get unbearably hot, far worse than with tint. Nearly everybody here has illegal tint. The super dark 5% tint is quite popular here, but 10% and 15% are common, too. I don't know the percentage of my tint, but it's rather dark. The previous California owner had the tint installed, including on the windshield, but he remoed the windshield tint before selling the car to me.Cops occasionally write tickets for it, but enforcement seems to be random or arbitrary. Ultimately, tickets for tint are a revenue generator and little more. What does surprise me, though, is the number of darkly tinted windshields. I don't see how those people can drive at night. One final note: Virtually every tint shop here is ready and willing to install illegally dark tint.
That's probably because everyone is buying the cheapest **** imaginable, and it isn't protecting very well. The reason why low VLT became popular in the first place was due to the complete lack of ability to protect from IR and UV via any other means--at the time. But ceramic tint is entirely different. And just like with the lies and myths surrounding "backpressure" in an exhaust; the same applies to low VLT being somehow requisite for protecting against heat and sun damage.

Once you've used a quality ceramic tint with 80%+ VLT, you'll quickly realize that everything you've known about tint is a lie. I had residential ceramic tint put on my old house windows. Can't go dark VLT because it ruins curb appeal. But the effect with IR and UV is unmistakable. No need to go dark.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:10 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sshallen
My question is always… WHY?

Looks so “Used Kia/Hyundai financed”, there is no need in a car with ac, visibility is inarguably decreased, and why volunteer probable cause for a stop nearly everywhere in the US?
I can only speak for the car enthusiasts of Southwest Florida. Here, one factor among many for tinted windows is rebellion bred of citizen anger. People are sick and tired of very unpopular tint laws being arbitrarily enforced, when virtually nobody wants the law and, worse, when fentanyl and numerous illegal drugs are everywhere and are killing both the youth and the elderly here and in every other region of our nation. Stop wasting police resources on illegal tint laws and loud exhaust laws and actually try to make a biiger dent in the overwhelming prevalence of illegal drug sales. In 2021, 2022, an 2023, there were more than 100,000 fatal overdoses per year in our nation, plus about 20 times as many non-fatal overdoses. Yet, law enforcement and their city council/county board overlords focus on the easy money of illegal tint and illegal exhaust tickets instead of focusing more on the deadly epidemic of illegal drugs. How many people were actually killed last year by dark tint or illegal exhaust? The whole situation is shameful and tragic.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:19 AM
CorvetteBrent
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by EvanD
1, it's a law. 2, the police should enforce laws. 3, I'm sure there was a reason the police officer wrote those 7 tickets. More than just that they were tinted.

I'm not saying don't tint your windows. I'm saying you accept the risk of a ticket or worse if you do.
No. The police officer specifically told the kid that he was writing a specific ticket for EACH tinted window. Worse, the kid was parked at the convenience store, which is a private lot. The cop did NOT see the kid pull into the lot, but instead arrived a little later. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." --- Edmund Burke (British philosopher and statesman)
Old 03-11-2024, 09:23 AM
PhoenixM3
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 140 Posts

This won't affect RD performance, will it?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2024, 11:43 AM
EvanD
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I'm sure there would be more to the story if you asked the police officer. That it was a convenience store does not matter. You obviously have an issue with the police. Still, you know the law and you take the risk of a ticket/ fine/ arrest when you decide to break it. Again, I am not saying right or wrong, just that we all make a decision, and those decisions sometimes have risks.

Originally Posted by CorvetteBrent
No. The police officer specifically told the kid that he was writing a specific ticket for EACH tinted window. Worse, the kid was parked at the convenience store, which is a private lot. The cop did NOT see the kid pull into the lot, but instead arrived a little later. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." --- Edmund Burke (British philosopher and statesman)
Old 03-11-2024, 11:47 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixM3

Thanks!
Radar waves, doubtful. But laser... Tint DOES cut down on light transmission, so your laser detector might not work as well... Maybe hold it out the window as you drive?
Old 03-11-2024, 11:51 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Apparently not legal in Arizona:

Old 03-11-2024, 12:13 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixM3

Thanks!
I drive all my rides with the uniden R7, and my tint 5% sides/rear, 35% front, RD works fine. No problems with the laser or KA Bands..
No need to worry.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:17 PM
C2Red64
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

just so everyone knows the laws in each state for tinted windows since 2023..

https://www.raynofilm.com/blog/autom...-laws-by-state
Old 03-11-2024, 01:25 PM
3LZR21U
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 612 Posts

I am actually for laws banning low VLT tint. Seen too much dash-cam & body cam footage of how almost impossible it is to safely engage with someone pulled over--at night--with low VLT windows. And you cannot "trust" that occupants will be courteous enough to just put all their windows down during a traffic stop--preemptively.

And since you can get IR and UV rejection up over 90% each with 70% ceramic tint--there is zero legitimate reason to have or allow low VLT tint up front. I have lived all over the place; hot climates, cold climates, dry climates, muggy climates. I still say there's no justification for low VLT tint--definitely not up front.

Quick Reply: Windshield Tint Percentage