Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

C8 ZR1 Demand speculation

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2023, 10:29 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 442 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by combatninja
The E-Ray battery system doesn't work like that. It won't ever 'die'. At 1.9kW (1.1 available), it is so tiny and charges so fast. It has power management strategies built in to ensure that you always have electric assist. It does shut down the fun at I believe 130mph, so I guess it is dead weight at that point.
You really do not understand how this works. All the 'power management' in the world cannot increase the capacity of the battery. Its dead simple to deplete it. From a stop, put your foot on the floor and keep it there. The hybrid power bank will be empty in seconds and you are back to ICE power only plus carrying all the extra weight. This is why no one wants to talk about Eray top speed which is LESS than Stingray. Much less.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:51 AM
combatninja
Drifting

Received 2,020 Likes on 861 Posts

Sure, I guess you could enter half mile events or just floor the car on the highway and have it shut down once you reach 130mph. This will probably be a short term problem on the highway as you'd be lucky to keep your license more than a week doing that more than a few times. The battery won't be 'depleted' in that case btw. The battery is 1.9kW with 1.1kW available. And the motor is designed to stop powering the front wheels at 130mph. In every reasonably conceivable driving scenario in which the car is accelerating, coasting and braking, the battery pack is designed to very rapidly recharge and discharge to keep the fun flowing. I'm not saying the E-Ray is the end-all, be-all but deriding it for its small battery and claiming it will just 'die' shows a real lack of understanding the intent of the design.
Old 09-17-2023, 08:44 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,796 Likes on 3,193 Posts

Funny. All this complaining about the hybrid yet the holy trinity cars are all NA and hybrid assists? Still so highly value a decade later.

Never heard anyone worry about battery depletion in those either. So much newer battery and charging tech 10yes later i think the Eray will be fine for those who want brutal acceleration and awd plus the Z06 wide body.

And from a pretty good source theres been no talk of a grand sport model. I think you're looking at it.

My guess is before the end of the C8 we will however end up with a cpc dohc V8 in there. Which will be epic. It will be a 600hp ish base corvette.

Or will the ZR1 have that 600 plus HP cpc dohc and a 250hp E assist in it?
Old 09-17-2023, 10:01 AM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

I own a Honda Accord Hybrid and think it's a great car for daily use.

However in performance driving once the battery is drained the batteries, drive motor and added electronics are going to be dead weight unless braking can recharge. Around town the car would get better mileage and be fun between lights but on a slow twisty road I'd rather have a TT.

A hybrid would be a killer Nurburgring car.

Old 09-17-2023, 11:01 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by warhawkmcdaniel
A hybrid would be a killer Nurburgring car.
Agreed 100 percent.

As that extra weight takes you off the track on a high speed slick turn the increased energy (equal or higher speed with 1/4 more weight) that needs to be dissipated by hitting things is made ok by the heavier tougher structure to protect the driver.

After the larger parts stop moving the resultant fuel fire and the battery going nova will create a challenge for track EMS to handle while you try and escape the mess.

Killer is right.

Last edited by international blue; 09-17-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:50 PM
carron
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by combatninja
The E-Ray battery system doesn't work like that. It won't ever 'die'. At 1.9kW (1.1 available), it is so tiny and charges so fast. It has power management strategies built in to ensure that you always have electric assist. It does shut down the fun at I believe 130mph, so I guess it is dead weight at that point.
this was a segment from an article in Automotive Engineering magazine:

“Juechter added that a key E-Ray enabler is a relatively small battery, the cell chemistry of which is engineered to rapidly dispense and receive electrical energy. The Charge+ feature combines the high engine output during acceleration with aggressive regen to charge the battery from nearly depleted to fully charged in 2-3 miles (3.2 to 4.8 km) depending on speed. It’s difficult to deplete the battery’s state of charge in most driving situations, he asserted.As an example, during quarter-mile acceleration tests when the electric motor is a major contributor to performance, returning to the staging area for the next run is sufficient to top off the battery’s charge…“

https://www.sae.org/news/2023/01/202...0he%20asserted.

The following users liked this post:
JMB (09-20-2023)
Old 09-18-2023, 04:41 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by carron
this was a segment from an article in Automotive Engineering magazine:

“It’s difficult to deplete the battery’s state of charge in most driving situations", he asserted.
I'm sure they did a good job, but they can't change the laws of physics. When you add repeated hard braking into the equation, it gives a small amount of time to recharge the battery. Now you have dead weight. If it needs to recharge during acceleration, you are taking power away from propulsion and using it to generate electricity. Turbos don't have these problems.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:44 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,619 Likes on 4,314 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptonic
Oh really? 10-15% every year. You could teach the most brilliant guys on Wall Street a thing or two.
I'm sure you got that 10-15% last year when the S&P was down 20%. Sure you did. Nonsense.
Even if you assume the average return of ~ 8%, that was worthwhile when interest rates were 3% or less. But you also have to accept that some years are going to be like 2022, when your return on the market AND on bonds was negative.

I paid cash for mine in 2021 just because I didn't want to deal with a loan. Looking at 2022, it paid off for me to not have put that money in the stock market or in bonds.
Old 09-20-2023, 04:46 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,619 Likes on 4,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Trust me, I could get the battery dead. All I have to do is go up hill for miles on one of my canyon roads.
I think you don't actually understand how the hybrid system in the E-Ray works.

Originally Posted by jcthorne
You really do not understand how this works. All the 'power management' in the world cannot increase the capacity of the battery. Its dead simple to deplete it. From a stop, put your foot on the floor and keep it there. The hybrid power bank will be empty in seconds and you are back to ICE power only plus carrying all the extra weight. This is why no one wants to talk about Eray top speed which is LESS than Stingray. Much less.
Except that the electronics won't actually let that happen. Maybe do a little reading about the E-Ray?

The top speed is lower because it's got a ton more downforce and wider tires that affect both aero drag and contact drag.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:44 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,211 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I'm sure they did a good job, but they can't change the laws of physics. When you add repeated hard braking into the equation, it gives a small amount of time to recharge the battery. Now you have dead weight. If it needs to recharge during acceleration, you are taking power away from propulsion and using it to generate electricity. Turbos don't have these problems.
My understanding is it will not take power away at WOT, but at part throttle it will take power away if it needs it to recharge the battery. In those situations the driver uses more throttle to achieve the desired acceleration Iif the car's electronics don't automatically compensate for it). If the accelerator pedal were simply an on-off switch, the problem you describe could occur, but most courses have places where the car is decelerating, holding steady, or accelerating at less than WOT.

In a few weeks we'll see if any automotive journalist can drain the battery. I don't know if it is impossible to drain, but I'd be surprised if happens other than some pretty rare circumstances encountered on the street or a road course.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:09 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,067 Posts

According to the talk at Carlisle, you aren't going to be able to "drain" it on a road course, but reading (hearing) between the lines, you might not get much power out of it in some cases. Seems like some is kept in reserve for torque vectoring out of turns, so even if it is drained to the level of not providing power, it will still be used to engage AWD when needed. Have no idea what variables will be needed to get it to not helping much in the power department, as there is usually plenty of braking on most courses to charge to get some power out of it, even if it doesn't make it all the way down a long straight. Think we'll find out pretty quickly when the magazines get there tests done. Also expect the published lap times to be pretty good because you can run the out lap in charge+ before going for a lap time, so should be able to get some good times even if not consistent across a session.
Old 09-24-2023, 01:13 PM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 890 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
If the C8 ZR1 has a substantially bigger price tag than the C8 Z06 than do you believe it will be in demand to the degree the C8 Z is? And if so, will the demand for the C8 ZR1 entail an impossibly long wait list?
No way. Many have jumped on the Z06 as the last naturally aspirated and flat plane motor. The price is going to be an issue, as well as the E Ray, and how long it takes to get a car. Might as well skip the ZR1 and wait for the Zora.

Quick Reply: C8 ZR1 Demand speculation