Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino and Base Coat only paint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:55 AM
BAMvette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Zaino and Base Coat only paint?

Hi:

I have an '81 that was built at the St. Louis plant. As such it received Base Coat only paint. Doesn't have a clear coat.

Any idea which Zaino product might be most appropriate? AIO? Z5 or Z2?

None? Wax instead?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2010, 09:17 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AIO, Z-3 +ZFX

Z-3™ Show Car Polish (Single Stage paint)

To meet the needs of standard single stage paints, which tend to oxidize, shrink and lose their resiliency faster, it also includes a custom blend of emulsifiers; which gently condition and maintain your car's paint.

Contains state-of-the-art optical enhancers and gloss additives that bring out the true colour and clarity of your paint. To enhance protection, Z-3 contains Ultra-Gard™ ultra violet (UV) protection, which offers the ultimate protection against fading and shrinking. Also contains a special flex-additive that keeps your car's paint resilient and elastic. The flex-additive also restores the gloss on rubber and plastic painted parts, which have a tendency to fade and lose gloss faster than the rest of the vehicle. Zaino website
Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
BAMvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I know Z3 is designed for SS paint, but I've used Z5 plenty of times on SS paint and it seems to hold up rather well also.

TOGWT just listed the differences, but after reading them I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between Z3 and Z5.

I would definitely polish it first or at least use the ZAIO as SS paint has a tendency to fade/oxidize very quickly.

Josh
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,562 Likes on 2,162 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My 61 is a single stage Urethane and I use all the Zaino products and it looks great. Z2, Z5, AIO, Clear Sealant, Z6 and Z8. I can't imagine it looking any better. Shines as well as my BC/CC cars.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoshVette
I know Z3 is designed for SS paint, but I've used Z5 plenty of times on SS paint and it seems to hold up rather well also.

TOGWT just listed the differences, but after reading them I'm still not quite sure what the difference is between Z3 and Z5.

I would definitely polish it first or at least use the ZAIO as SS paint has a tendency to fade/oxidize very quickly.

Josh
I think its the emulsifiers used to 'condition' the paint ( I always used to use oil-based waxes / polishes for single stage paint and nitrocellulose Lacquer)
Old 05-12-2010, 06:39 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,768 Likes on 970 Posts

If you are going to let your 81' sit out in the sun a lot then Z-3 would be a good choice, it contains additives that will retard oxidation, if your car is only going to shows or events, or is more a garage queen I would use Z-2 or Z-5, have many customers that use Z-2 or Z-5 on their single stage paint because their cars are mostly garaged.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM
BAMvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '17

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'd also like to polish the car first, as suggested above.

It's in good condition already, but in the fluorescent light in my garage I ca see that it needs some care.

I have a PC7424 and some Zaino Fusion. Anyone see any problems with this approach?

By the way.....this paint, I'm told is about 3 years old.

Thanks!

Last edited by BAMvette; 05-12-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:05 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

So its' SS paint but new??

I don't see any problems with that approach but it really depends on the condition of the swirls, if you can see them with your florescent garage lighting then I'm betting it's a little worse then you think.

Zaino ZPC (fuzion) is an ok product, but really designed more as a paint cleaner and not so much as a swirl remover, although it can remove some light swirling, just not the best at it IMO.

If you're wanting more paint correction products to be used with a DA, I would try some Meg's 105, 205, or Menzerna SIP to remove swirls.

Josh

Last edited by JoshVette; 05-12-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
BAMvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '17

I'm assuming it's SS, as original. How do I tell? My C5 has a depth to it that the C3 does't. Any other way to tell if SS or BC/CC?

Does it even matter as far as polishing technique and materials using the PC?

Last edited by BAMvette; 05-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:51 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

when you wax or polish your car if the pad turns the color of the car then you have a single stage paintjob
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

When you use an abrasive product (polish) on a vehicle with single stage paint, you will notice paint transfer on your pads; this paint system is “softer” than conventional paint systems and tends to oxidize more readily. When polishing or wet-sanding use caution because if you're not careful you could make an irreversible mistake that will require re-painting.IMO ss paint has a richer gloss than a cc finish
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM
BAMvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by TOGWT
this paint system is “softer” than conventional paint systems and tends to oxidize more readily. When polishing or wet-sanding use caution because if you're not careful you could make an irreversible mistake that will require re-painting.IMO ss paint has a richer gloss than a cc finish
Do you think I should polish it by hand, rather than with the PC?

I've noticed tonight that if I apply a bit of elbow-grease, I can eliminate the scratches and swirls by hand.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino and Base Coat only paint?

Quick Reply: Zaino and Base Coat only paint?