Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Bracket racing strategy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Daddybugs
I remember that day...it had to be 95* outside and I kept a towel in my cooler...I put it on my head in the staging lanes to keep a little cooler...my name is Fuzzy but you can call me Achmed...

I should have been more specific on my advice to Daddybugs...it was tailored to Orlando specifically on the dialing part...in Orlando the gates open at 2:30 pm and time shots happen before the sun goes down...then first round is just after sunset...usually that can mean you may pick up a couple of hun with the cooler air and tighter track in the first round...

In summer, nothing much changes until about the second or third round...a weather station and predicter is your friend in Orlando...

See ya tonite Daddy..we will be pitted under the trees as always...I went 12.27 in the 1/4 last night with a bad short time so things are shaking out with the new set up...
Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
...See ya tonite Daddy..we will be pitted under the trees as always...I went 12.27 in the 1/4 last night with a bad short time so things are shaking out with the new set up...
Is it to early to reserve a shady pit area for next year?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kazman
Is it to early to reserve a shady pit area for next year?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 PM
kazman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glensgages

I think I can squeeze the Silverado and open trailer in there. The Formula will feel right at home. The Mustang might feel a bit out of place surounded by all the Chevy's but will adjust.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Daddybugs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...you guys are too much... ok, I will find you guys tonite and hopefully we will ALL be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (and maybe longer...)..DDBS
Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by Daddybugs
...you guys are too much... ok, I will find you guys tonite ....
Red 69 races the Red '79 (I don't think he did well in math-classes as a youth), but I am fighting a sinus-infection/wrenched-back and won't make it.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Daddybugs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Glensgages
Red 69 races the Red '79 (I don't think he did well in math-classes as a youth), but I am fighting a sinus-infection/wrenched-back and won't make it.
get better Glen, hope to see you soon..DDBS
Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by kazman
I think I can squeeze the Silverado and open trailer in there. The Formula will feel right at home. The Mustang might feel a bit out of place surounded by all the Chevy's but will adjust.
Three of us have open trailers so no problemo there...one of us races a 78 trans am, I race the 81 camaro, Mike the 79 vette and Todd the 92 vette...come on down...

Mike and I will be heading down to the Super Chevy this weekend in Palm Beach...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Daddybugs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Three of us have open trailers so no problemo there...one of us races a 78 trans am, I race the 81 camaro, Mike the 79 vette and Todd the 92 vette...come on down...

Mike and I will be heading down to the Super Chevy this weekend in Palm Beach...

Hey Fuzzy, just letting you know that I'm 90% sure I will have my 91
S10 there in time for points on the 21st. It is very bright orange, so you won't miss it. Setting in the new 9 inch rear axle now and once I get the driveshaft made, it should be ready for racing next week for practice/test and tune. Real excited as it took over a year to build this truck. Don't know how consistent it will be and hopefully I will get a least a week to iron out the wrinkles. BTW, how did the Super Chevy Show this weekend? I wanted to go, but had too many things to do.
DDBS
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM
d555
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleBst264
Against a 9 second car: Dial a litle bit quicker than you think it'll run, so you can keep the throttle pinned to the floor the whole way without having to worry about breaking out. Only lift, if you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that he's not going to catch you. You really can't judge those cars when they're coming at you at 140 MPH. IMO, the best thing to do is dial hard and cut the tree down.

Sandbagging: Only sandbag against someone else who sandbags.
Cut the light, Run the Number... and if I lose at least I did it All Out!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 AM
jadams67
Instructor

Quote: "Sandbagging: Only sandbag against someone else who sandbags."

Too many people are afraid of the dreaded "Sandbagger" Then why not make them afraid of you? Learn how to hold some extra in the bag, learn how to drive the stripe, and get comfortable with the situations that you are willing to use it.

Why be a follower? When you can be a leader!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 730GT500
Quote: "Sandbagging: Only sandbag against someone else who sandbags."

Too many people are afraid of the dreaded "Sandbagger" Then why not make them afraid of you? Learn how to hold some extra in the bag, learn how to drive the stripe, and get comfortable with the situations that you are willing to use it.

Why be a follower? When you can be a leader!
Absolutly !! I never hold more than .03 and if I think I hit the tree.. I know I donn't have to lock up the breaks!

Last week Jeanne diald 12.45 and ran 12.446 with just a tap on the binders... the other lane broke out by .030 she broke out by .004 ! That alone says something for NOT holding "TOO MUCH" !
Old 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
kazman
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpee
Absolutly !! I never hold more than .03 and if I think I hit the tree.. I know I donn't have to lock up the breaks!

Last week Jeanne diald 12.45 and ran 12.446 with just a tap on the binders... the other lane broke out by .030 she broke out by .004 ! That alone says something for NOT holding "TOO MUCH" !

You can hold as much as you can confortablly scrub. You also have to know how much a lift or tap is going to take off your ET. The more you do it the better you get at scrubing and seeing the other car. Last week a couple of rounds I was holding .06. I never came close of breaking out. I dialed too hard in my loosing round and ran it out the back door to a loosing over .02. Duah.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:56 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just run my own race.
I like to dial tight to the number and go for a good light regardless of what's in the other lane.
I know how to use the powerband of the C6 LS3 to my advantage at the top end to make for a close race against cars that are alittle faster than mine if need be.
I don't care for sandbagging. I've always believed it you live by the fender you die by the fender.
I did come up with a few little tricks over time in regards to driving the top end, but those I keep to myself.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 AM
jadams67
Instructor

Wow, this thread went untouched for 5 months. I still jump in the CF to see what's going on, and would always like to see some action on this thread. As I can't really be talked out of my approach to bracket racing......I still enjoy reading others' ideas.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 AM
6667vette
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Drag Race

Your consistency is most important of course. The closer you can run to your dail the better . If you leave yourself a little more room you will have to look over your shoulder to see where the faster car is and pedal . My advice is to improve your on time shift point or go to auto trans. My quote is IF YOU LIFT YOU LOOSE.
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I've done lots of heads up racing, and am now just starting to try my hand at brackets. I've done fairly well, even made it to the bracket final last time out, but I need some help.

When getting into the later rounds, I end up next to the 9 second cars (I run mid 13s). I'm thinking it'd be a good strategy to dial in VERY tight, and just go for it.

My thinking is, the faster car is going to try and sandbag me and beat me to the line by a foot. (Last time I lost by .007).

IF I pull a better light then them, and breakout, and they beat me by a foot, then they broke out more than me, and I win right?

And if I don't break out, then I'll be very close to my dial in.

I guess what I'm asking, is it a bad idea to dial in to my average ET? I'm not sure if the 9 second car is racing me, or racing himself, and knows if I'm breaking out or not. I'm only consistent within a tenth or a bit more. I can usually get em off the tree though. Last time out I ran a .500, .502, and .503 reaction time.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM
kazman
Drifting

Originally Posted by 6667vette
Your consistency is most important of course. The closer you can run to your dail the better . If you leave yourself a little more room you will have to look over your shoulder to see where the faster car is and pedal . My advice is to improve your on time shift point or go to auto trans. My quote is IF YOU LIFT YOU LOOSE.
Not making your dial really increases the chance of you seeing the win light in the other lane. Holding and driving the stripe increases the chances of a winning. I'm almost always on the breaks and get wins due to that fact not in spite of it. Racing here is so competetive that close to your dial in many cases is not good for the win. One needs to be dead on every run. I bet that your competetion is looking over their shoulder at you. I think that I may run a 15 but I know that I can run a 19. I will put a XX.19 and drive the stripe. With holding I can be pretty certain that I will run the number or be quicker than the number. I can hit the brakes and slow down however I can't make the car go quicker if I'm not making the dial. Holding gives me the ability to be able to run the number dead on every time. Yes I will take too much stripe and give it back from time to time but the larger percentage is that I will be correct and get the win. Playing the percentage. If I'm not making the number I give up my control of the race and can only hope my competetor makes a mistake. Knowing that I'm "good" on the dial allows me to cut conservative lights. I don't have to need to push a .000 and go red. I can give .020 or even .030 on the tree and still have an opportunity to play the top end dance for the win. Likewise when I win on the tree I can tap back to insure the win. Given 100 passes how many can you predict the ET dead on? Now in 100 passes where you add .04 to the prediction and either run dead on or faster? I know that I can do the second thing most of the time.

Get notified of new replies

To Bracket racing strategy...

Old 11-10-2009, 04:32 PM
jadams67
Instructor

IF YOU LIFT YOU LOSE???? Anyone who really bracket races with this strategy in mind should go out and buy a HANS device RIGHT NOW!!! And adjust the helmet straps as tight as possible.

That way when you take tenth stripes and get laughed at all the time......at least you have an excuse as to why you could not see that the other car was 2 car lengths back.

And for the guy who was .000, .002, and .003.....why would you be so good on the tree and leave yourself the chance of not being able to run the number?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:35 AM
"The Godfather"
Cruising

Default Just Curious?

**On an average bracket racing weekend; about how many time trials do you normally get before the competition begins? Thx.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Originally Posted by "The Godfather"
**On an average bracket racing weekend; about how many time trials do you normally get before the competition begins? Thx.
pre-Elimination time-runs vary from track-to-track, and might be based-on how many cars typically show-up for an event:
some larger tracks, with big car-counts, may limit each racer to a pair of time-shots, while smaller tracks, with fewer participants, will open the lanes, and let you run until your tongue is hangin'-out.

At some of the smaller tracks in Florida, I've seen some of my friends make 6, 8, or even more runs before eliminations begin

Quick Reply: Bracket racing strategy...