Northern California Northern California

You never know what you'll see at Alice's Restaraunt...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Good to see 003 back on the street again. AIR Patterson licensed the car and drove it clear to San Diego and back for a WSCC convintion in the early '70s.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ReadyEddie
Actually the silver blue roadster in the back left background is not the original vin#002 body.It is a replicated body from Wintersteen's original body. The chasis is original though. The owner at the time thought the unrestored original body was too valuable to be out doing vintage road racing with. See the Simeone Museum or Restoration of GS #002.

Ed
That's actually kind of amusing when you consider that almost every historic race car has been wrecked at some point - many of them several times. They get fixed over and over. The parts are replaced. In some cases, 80% of the frame and body have been replaced at some point. Last year at the Monterey Historics, I watched a $5M car get completely destroyed. The announcer joked over the PA system that if they can recover the radiator cap, they'll rebuild the car around it.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:04 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 78 Posts

After looking at the Amelia Island picture again I just noticed that all 5 cars have the Daytona hood on them. Considering all the hoods the cars ran with thats a minor miracle !!! --------------Ken
Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by keystonefarm
After looking at the Amelia Island picture again I just noticed that all 5 cars have the Daytona hood on them. Considering all the hoods the cars ran with thats a minor miracle !!! --------------Ken
=================================

I'm surprised any of the GS use any other hoods than the "Daytona" Hood. Doesn't the other hood have some big issues with releasing the high pressure air under the hood?

It actually tries to open while driving the car, this alone would be a big enough reason to use the Daytona hood unless you just hate the looks of it.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

Ty
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by tyoneal

I'm surprised any of the GS use any other hoods than the "Daytona" Hood. Doesn't the other hood have some big issues with releasing the high pressure air under the hood?

It actually tries to open while driving the car, this alone would be a big enough reason to use the Daytona hood unless you just hate the looks of it.

Is this right, or am I missing something?

Ty
Larry commented that the GS still wants to lift at speed because of underhood pressure - even with this hood. He said with the other hoods, it's much worse.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doje
Was the #003 the old Jack Saunder's car, "00"?

http://exoto.com/s/1/ProductDetails....ProductId=1294

It was the only GS that I know of that also had the "Roof Top Driving Lights". (See link above)

As I mentioned earlier about the roof top running lights, does anyone know why was the red light in front and the White light in the rear? It would seem to be the other way around.

Has anyone ever seen a Replica GS that ran these also?

Thanks,

Ty
Old 06-15-2011, 09:20 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,610 Likes on 3,030 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Larry commented that the GS still wants to lift at speed because of underhood pressure - even with this hood. He said with the other hoods, it's much worse.
While I don't know that Larry has first hand knowledge of the aero effects of the other hoods, he is right.

My GS runs the December '63 Nassau hood.

At any speed over about 100 MPH it tries to tear itself off the car and lift the front end off the ground.

Jim
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Burn Out
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread and posts. Thank you!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ooops!

Sorry about that, I guess I missed it, or just forgot.

I guess some well placed underbody block off panels are needed, or has that already been tried? (I know it was probably tried back in the 60's, I only 5 decade late)

Thank you for reminding me.

Ty
Old 06-16-2011, 10:30 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 639 Likes on 382 Posts

I would love to have a poster of that. Or if anyone knows where I can get a VERY high quality digital file of it.
Contact VINTAGE MOTORSPORT Magazine, RANDY RIGGS is editor and a great guy. They have the copyright and may have made a poster if I remember correctly. their website is http://vintagemotorsport.com

Quick Reply: You never know what you'll see at Alice's Restaraunt...